Mexican law put into effect to cap cash real estate transactions at 500k pesos

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Wow- no more cash real estate transactions in Mexico for more than 500k pesos (about $40k US) will be allowed, and no more "other" cash transactions (cars, etc) in amounts exceeding 200k pesos (about $15k US) will be allowed.

5 years in mexican prison for violators.

Large Cash Transactions Banned In Mexico - Forbes

It will be interesting to see what effect (if any) this has on the Sonorran real estate market - last weekend in Las Conchas I saw more "for sale" signs (and more sub-200k list prices) than I have ever seen in my 20 years of visiting RP...

mis2810

This just means the actual handling of paper money during a transaction. For example, if I had $200K and I wanted to pay cash for a house/condo, I could wire the money to the seller through an international wire transfer. But, the bank and the notario or lawyer still has to report the transaction.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I agree that this law has no relevance to transactions carried out in the ELECTRONIC banking universe.

But, you have to understand what this law REALLY means.

The paper money that can only be legally printed and issued by a government, is concurrently being deemed (by that SAME government) to be illegal or improper for use in valid transactions of legitimate commerce between two willing parties.

They might as will spell in out simple terms right on the notes:

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private; EXCEPT in transactions where the bearer decides that they want a new place to live, or a new car to drive"

Dangerous legal precendent is being set.

Government currency control measures NEVER produce the desired results, and they never end well. Reference Argentina in the 80's, Mexico in the early 90's, Zimbabwe in the early 2000's... ad infinitum.

Governments (via the large global commercial banks) want ALL currency exchange to be performed over wires, where the transactions can be monitored, and global markets fully regulated, governed, and otherwise completely controlled... from London.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Consider the following question:

Why is 200k sitting in a checking account considered to be more "acceptable" for carrying out a trade, than the same 200k in the form of printed bank notes?

mis2810

I'm certainly no expert on finances, but it doesn't seem to be that the tender is what is invalid - it's the process of payment. I interpret it as them wanting an electronic paper trail to follow. But, at some point somebody has to make a cash deposit into an account somewhere, regardless of how many times that money gets electronically transferred and wired to various accounts.

Don't you think they're just trying to stop cartel members from walking into a real estate office or car dealership with a suitcase full of laundered cash and no record of where or how the money was earned in the first place?

Roberto

Moore know exactly why the law was passed but it's not as exciting as a good conspiricy.
It's all part of the plot for world domination by a mysterious and yet unidentified force. Maybe it 's the Illuminate come back to life. Remember that eye on the dollar bill proves that they exist !!

Hey, I thought you were gonna stick to fishin reports. This post started out good but meandered close to Rants and Raves territory.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Don't you think they're just trying to stop cartel members from walking into a real estate office or car dealership with a suitcase full of laundered cash and no record of where or how the money was earned in the first place?
Yeah, I think that's exactly what they are trying to do...

unfortunately, laws apply to EVERYONE, not just drug dealers or those who maintain nefarious or illegal activities.

I agree that it would be "odd" for someone who is not a drug dealer to have 500k pesos in a suitcase under their bed... but I don't think it is necessarily unlikely or out of the question. Many people (especially older people who lost their livelihood during the depression in the 30's) don't trust the fractional reserve nature of government sponsored banking systems, and prefer to keep their cash and financial assets in non-electronic forms (like cash and real estate).

A physical transferrence of real estate ownership does not require an electronic currency transaction - the previous owner of the deed only needs to record a name change on the deed to the property in the prescence of a notario, and they could then walk away with the suitcase of cash - it WAS perfectly legal... until now.

Under this law- such a person could not aquire expensive real assets using non-electronic cash.

This law is a coercion ploy to get people to distrust government issued paper money in large amounts, based on the "It must be laundered drug money" principle... and I think it is also a measure to try and get more people to take on electronic debit cards and mortgage debt.

The very things that the US population is now learning are very damaging to personal long term fiancial well-being, are now being coercively pushed south of the border.

I think that this might be a slippery slope, because there might be MANY people who maintain large physical cash stashes that are NOT drug dealers, but this new law will force the government, and the banks and notarios, to be suspicious of them anyway; and and it will put a stop their ability to purchase what they want (in spite of the fact that they have never been criminals, but have instead only managed to earn and save large balances of cash...)

In actuality- I think over longer terms this law might serve to restore pricing in Mexico back to levels that are more in-line with the exchange rate of the mex peso rather than the exchange rate of the dollar, so some good may actually come of this for poorer mexican citizens who live in areas dominated by dollar based tourism, IMO...

However, the flip side is that it might NOT be good for International (American) speculators who thought that investment in a dollar supported mexican real estate markets was (or is) a good idea...

Again, I'm just saying that government induced currency control measures never end well. The law on unintended consequences always seems to rear it's ugly head....

Perhaps this time will be different.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Moore know exactly why the law was passed but it's not as exciting as a good conspiricy.
It's all part of the plot for world domination by a mysterious and yet unidentified force. Maybe it 's the Illuminate come back to life. Remember that eye on the dollar bill proves that they exist !!

Hey, I thought you were gonna stick to fishin reports. This post started out good but meandered close to Rants and Raves territory.
I think you need to spend more time reading and thinking about what I ACTUALLY WROTE, instead of trying to INTERPRET what you believe I was actually thinking when I wrote it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar... a fact frequently lost on those who believe that they know what we think (or why we think it) better than we do.

No further "remote couch diagnosis" is necessary on this topic, Dr. Freud.

Roberto

Moore Sez: But, you have to understand what this law REALLY means.
This law is a coercion ploy

Followed not by a cigar, but speculation, implication and opinion.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Moore Sez: But, you have to understand what this law REALLY means.
This law is a coercion ploy

Followed not by a cigar, but speculation, implication and opinion.
so then, enlighten me to the fact, Doc.

Let's play a game of true or false:

A) A Nation's currency is the property of the people (in aggregate) T or F?

B) A Nation's government is supposed to be elected (or appointed) to do what is in the best interest of the people (in aggregate) T or F?

C) In the entire history of humanity, there has never been an episode of government induced currency control that has not ended up harming the people (in aggregate) T or F?

So, where you chastise me for speculation, and implication, I merely rhetort with an application of the lessons of history...

my opinion (as I clearly stated above) is that history tells us that actions such as these are the first step onto the slippery slope of increased government thuggery and oppression, and that all such moves in the past have ended badly.

I stated clearly enough that such a scenario may NOT come to pass, if "this time it's different".

I would love to hear your viewpoints on how this time may, indeed, be different.

Come join me in the pleasant, 80 degree hot tub of speculation, instead of trying to poke at me with sticks for doing only what is my God given right (expressing my personal viewpoints and opinions)

Ok, NOW I am dangerously close to ranting. However- I should only point out that it is due FAR more to your insidious nature of scrutinzing ME instead of scrutinizing what was the original (and intended) topic of discussion.

to mis2910 : THANK YOU for taking time to discuss the topic of currency controls with me (the topic of this thread)

To everyone else who posted a reply in this thread that had nothing to do with currency controls.... I invite you humbly (and sincerely) to piss off.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Try throwing down more than 10k cash in an American deal and see what happens
A quit claim deed and title change is EXTREMELY easy in the US. Nothing but paperwork and 20 minutes at the County Recorder's office.

and, regarding the governement "getting their cut" - I made no disparagement about property taxes in my original post (nor in any since)

Besides - the governement does "get theirs", don't they? Does not the government THEMSELVES print the very currency that they are now saying will not be legal for large transactions?

"We print it for you to use, and then deny you it's use" - Can you not see the hypocrisy in that? Or does it simply not matter to you?

Maybe it shouldn't matter to me, either; except that I see the effect of the results that similar stupidity is having on Southern Europe, and the last thing I want is another Greece taking place in a country where I have friends, and where I enjoy spending time.

jerry

he's getting close to trickle down,low taxes on the rich magic bean world again ...Stewart!!!!!! to your point Moore(you free market pirate lovin bastardo) the Mexicans claim 30 plus percent of the gain on property sales.They almost never get it and with these cash deals throwing down cash on the side makes the gain just go poof

A quit claim deed and title change is EXTREMELY easy in the US. Nothing but paperwork and 20 minutes at the County Recorder's office.

and, regarding the governement "getting their cut" - I made no disparagement about property taxes in my original post (nor in any since)

Besides - the governement does "get theirs", don't they? Does not the government THEMSELVES print the very currency that they are now saying will not be legal for large transactions?

"We print it for you to use, and then deny you it's use" - Can you not see the hypocrisy in that? Or does it simply not matter to you?

Maybe it shouldn't matter to me, either; except that I see the effect of the results that similar stupidity is having on Southern Europe, and the last thing I want is another Greece taking place in a country where I have friends, and where I enjoy spending time.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
he's getting close to trickle down,low taxes on the rich magic bean world again ...

Have you ever considered that, after you remove those who were born under the "silver spoon" principle, the only remaining difference between rich and poor is personal accomplishment?

If you would merely dis-aggregate economically productive and accomplished people from the likes of parasitic Rockefeller and Rothschild types, you might find that "taxing the rich to feed the poor" is not so ugly a premise to most of us who are merely tired of being "lumped" in with the Rockefellers and Rothschilds... and are also tired of being expected to pay more than our share so that the super-rich, who hide behind the veil of corporate obstructionism, may pay less than thiers.

And, to your point regarding capital gains - ALL capital gains are merely a method for taxing your income TWICE - once when you earn it, and a 2nd time when you go to sell whatever you invested it in to protect its purchasing value from eroding due to government and central bank induced inflation.

Government debasement of currency is the ONLY reason "capital gains" as a concept exists at all.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Not to worry Moore, we know that actual thinking was in no way involved.

I see no need to waste any time responding, other than to ask you whether you know how to read or comprehend English:

mis2910 : THANK YOU for taking time to discuss the topic of currency controls with me (the topic of this thread)

To everyone else who posted a reply in this thread that had nothing to do with currency controls.... I invite you humbly (and sincerely) to piss off.

Kenny

Originally Posted by mis2810
And the Moore say's "Yeah, I think that's exactly what they are trying to do"
No, it's exactly what they've done, but the Moore thinks it's going deter old folks from the depression era that are keeping their money hid in the basement from buying property in Mexico. You're right Moore, that was very thoughtful of you.​

Kenny

I think the idea will work very much like the border fence idea doe's, there's always a way around it.

Last edited: