Mexican Moonshine

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I had mentioned this tequila in other threads - an original, unopened bottle of Roger Clyne's Mexican Moonshine. I decided to post it on E-Bay to see how much it would bring. You can watch the item (and/or bid, if so desired). Auction runs for 7 days and I have a reserve on it.

Let's see what it might bring! :p

View it here.

B

bahiatrader

I wouldn't even pay 99 cents for a bottle of tequila. I hope you do well with it. I never could develop a taste for tequila. I'm a Tennessee sippin' whiskey guy myself.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Ha! That's cause you ain't got no Mexican in ya, Bahia! <kidding>

Last bottle of this sold on E-Bay that I could find sold for like $380 in 2007. Of course, given the current state of our economy, people have more pressing things to spend their money on at the moment, like their mortgage. We'll see what happens.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Bahia

good tequila is similar to a good sippin whiskey in the "sippin" part.
if it's really good, you sip a bit, and then savor the warmth trickling down your throat, and
enjoy those nice "vapors" that creep up back into your senses - mmnn mmnn good!

Never acquired a taste for whiskey/scotch...but find some of the good sippin' tequilas like some of the brandies....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Bids

7 bids, currently @ $61 in less than a day. Maybe I'll keep it another 10 years and use it for my retirement!

P

Penasco Pirate

We are a Crown Royal house but since fnding some 'good' tequila...I find it doesn't give me the hang over the CR used too!

jerry

New Booze: Mezcalero Mezcal I don't drink much but had to share a toast with a crazy client today,,,,yikes!!!!!

This one is only available in California- sorry, rest of world!

Craft Distillers, the Ukiah-based marketing group that makes Germain-Robin brandy and helps market other brands they believe in, has been importing Los Danzantes mezcal for a few years now, after Ron Cooper of Del Maguey introduced G-R's Ansley Coale to some artisan distillers in Mexico. They're now bringing in a new mezcal called Mezcalero- a whopping 168 bottles of it for sale in California only.

Mezcalero is made in San Juan del Rio in the Mexican state of Oaxaca and distilled by Joel Antonio Cruz. As you may know, all tequila is a subset of mezcal, made from one type of agave/maguey (Blue Weber). Much mezcal that is not tequila is made in Oaxaca and Chihuahua and it is made from espadin agave/maguey. Mezcalero, on the other hand, is made from a blend of wild harvested tobala and tepeztate agave.

Mezcalero has that smoky glue aroma associated with mezcal (from roasting the agaves in a smoky pit rather than baking it in steam ovens as in tequila), but with an equally powerful very bright, sweet, overripe green olive aspect to the nose as well. On the palate there's an amazing citrus burst that quickly dissipates into a sweet nothingness but the fire and smoke you expect from mezcal is absent, leaving a pleasant charred touch on the tongue while a creamy orange green pepper and jalapeno flavor lingers. I'd never have guessed it's 45.6% ABV.

I can't claim to be any sort of expert on mezcal, but I can tell you this one is gooood.

jaime grande

Our Love Shack
As an x-bar owner and now lead instructor at the bartending academy in Phoenix I have sampled alot of different alcohols, but when in Mexico nothing beats an ice cold beer and a shot of tequila. Ahhhh !!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Reserve Not Met

Yes, still have not hit the reserve. Of course, I'll be happy if it does - but if it doesn't, no biggie. Back into my collection it goes for 5 or 10 more years then try again.

:smile:
good tequila is similar to a good sippin whiskey in the "sippin" part.
if it's really good, you sip a bit, and then savor the warmth trickling down your throat, and
enjoy those nice "vapors" that creep up back into your senses - mmnn mmnn good!
Reminds me of Steve! He loved sippin' his tequila!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well, not bad, I suppose. The auction reached $215 before ending. My reserve was higher, so back on the shelf it goes for another 5 years.

L

Leenie

I listed one of my bottles few years ago on ebay and got to $4OO. I was pretty thrilled about that. I actually opened a bottle of Mexican Moonshine in December, and it was so so so good! whatever they sell at JJ's as moonshine tastes nothing like what is from the bottle. I have one more bottle that is still sealed, I'm saving it for something. Just dont know what yet!