Mexico shoots itself in both feet again

I think you would have a major problem if cocaine was found in your PRIVATE car. But finding a bundle of pot taped under a seat on public transportation is a completely different issue. I hope that maybe the police and military learn from this episode for the sake of the Mexican people and the rare American caught in the trap of over zealous enforcement.

So in reality, and going forward, do you really think this is going to hurt RP specifically?
This incident will not stop us "regulars" from going to RP but I was at lunch last Friday with several moms who are vacation visitors and they could not stop talking about how dangerous it is down "there". I did my best to convince them otherwise but the average American is persuaded greatly by the media blow up.

Everything is good and fair up north, no reason to argue it. In-justice has never happened and innocent people have never been detained erroneously. The reason is ....USA doesn't want to hurt their tourism economy.
Once again, please try to stay on topic. I'm sure we could spend years discussing all of the injustice in the U.S.A. or any other country in the world but we are talking about the very idiotic arrest of an apparently innocent American Mother that further shoots Mexico in the foot in the eye of the American tourist considering Mexico as a vacation site. I don't like it any more than you and try to defend Mexico to a lot of naysayers.

I will try to be on topic and answer your question. This is going on every day in mexico and Mexicans don't like it. That lady got arrested by the military and not by police. These military men don't know much about legal system. That lady is native of Sonora and spoke with them, what ever she said made them arrest her and not her American husband. Law in mexico is very old and needs updating, for example if you are driving your friends car and he has drugs in the trunk and you don't know that, you are responsible and not your friend, even tho it is his car. Same thing on the bus, you are responsible what is under your seat. Tourists don't get special treatment in mexico. I agree that mexico needs to work on updating their legal system.
I don't plan on ever using a Mexican bus but if I did I would now sure as hell check under my seat. The bus lines should be advertising that their riders should be doing this. It is an archaic and wrong methodology to arrest people by physical association to the contraband unless there is more evidence. Private vehicles are another issue. Maybe this incident will help to change things.

Roberto

An alternative, which would occur in many places, would have been to detain everyone on the bus for investigation including the cleaning crew, the driver and anyone else having access to the bus. I think you are way off base with you ranting about this. While I am sure it is hyperbole on your part the bit about 'horsewhipping' is just too much. She was not 'arrested' she was detained pending investigation. That's the way it is done here. The prosecutor reviews the 'evidence' and decides if it needs to go to a judge for trial. It is just normal policy to detain someone who can easily and quickly leave the country and avoid investigation.

I find it offensive when a snotty American tells other countries that they know more about what they should do and how to do it without taking the time to explore and understand how the system works and what is happening. Typical too that US politicians jump in to take credit and the US news media, that paragon of objectivity, whoops it up and blasts the story all over. Probably running it back to back with a description of crime in Mexico, as that's the usual approach.

Dirt sez: It is an archaic and wrong methodology to arrest people by physical association to the contraband unless there is more evidence. That's just a silly and incorrect statement. Physical association, as you put it, is primary evidence anywhere. If you are standing there with a gun in you hand and there is a body lying in front of you but no one saw you shoot and you are detained for investigation thats archaic and wrong methodology?? Again, she was detained while searching for more evidence.

Fact is without all the distortion of the media, this episode would make US folk more comfortable about going to Mexico. There was a problem, the problem got fixed and in a relatively timely manner. The 'victim' is not complaining, that should mean something.

Your apparent 'outrage' just makes it look worse than it is. Relax and enjoy Mexico for what it is.