Michigan Market

Roberto

Need a few groceries and like an alternative to Oxxo, go the the Michigan Market, on Campeche, 1 block off Benito Juarez in the Mirador. It's close to the bank and the City Hall.

Family run, I'm impressed with the variety of stuff they offer. Maraschino cherries, crushed garlic and lots of stuff with appeal. They have a small selection of fresh Veggies, and all the staples, cereal, sodas, beer, milk etc.

The store is exceptionally clean and the family members run the store.

If the Mirador is convenient stop by and support a local family.

jerry

Sort of funny you mention the cherries.My family Cherry Orchards on the shores of Lake Michigan had the same families of Mexican farm workers come up from Sonora each year.My uncle Frank married a Sonoran girl...Aunt Venita....good cook...

Roberto

It surprised me to seem them for sale here. We never had them when I was a kid but a favorite aunt did and I developed a taste for them. Have not eaten one in a long time though. One in wine might be nice, maybe I'll try it. In the evenings I prefer Elizabeth not Shirley.

mis2810

It surprised me to seem them for sale here. We never had them when I was a kid but a favorite aunt did and I developed a taste for them. Have not eaten one in a long time though. One in wine might be nice, maybe I'll try it. In the evenings I prefer Elizabeth not Shirley.
Who is Elizabeth Temple?????? :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Howell

Thanks for the info on the grocery store. We are headed down to PP for the first time (and first time in Mexico) in three weeks. One of the questions I had was about good grocery stores in the Mirador area. We are staying at the Palacio del Mar. Although we may hit the Super Ley or Sam's Club, it is nice to know there is a good grocery store close to where we will be staying.

Roberto

Remember to take Josefa, bear left at the first light coming into town. It will take you all the way to the dead end at Fremont, then make a right turn to the next stop sign and a left on Sinaloa there to Matamoros, then right to del Mar. There is an unmarked detour around the construction at Sam's but not a good alternative. Access to Sam's sucks too so I'd stick with Michigan and Ley. Michigan has most of what you might need except meat.

Roberto

Still not done on BJ?????
Nope, BJ is closed a block south of the intersection and northbound traffic is diverted into side streets, but all unmarked. There is access on the South side off Lopez Portillo through the dirt lot. It's a mess.

Howell

Remember to take Josefa, bear left at the first light coming into town. It will take you all the way to the dead end at Fremont, then make a right turn to the next stop sign and a left on Sinaloa there to Matamoros, then right to del Mar. There is an unmarked detour around the construction at Sam's but not a good alternative. Access to Sam's sucks too so I'd stick with Michigan and Ley. Michigan has most of what you might need except meat.
Thanks, Roberto. I appreciate the heads-up on the construction and the alternative route to del Mar. Even though we have a Sam's Club membership, it sounds like construction in that area would make a Sam's run a nightmare. We will probably try Super Ley and Michigan for our groceries while in town.

Trivia Question: Is there a place down there that sells Portobello mushrooms? I want to put them on the menu for my next trip . . . . didn't have any luck finding them at Super Ley this last week.

mis2810

Trivia Question: Is there a place down there that sells Portobello mushrooms? I want to put them on the menu for my next trip . . . . didn't have any luck finding them at Super Ley this last week.
Can't help with the mushrooms, but this reminded me. Does any store down there sell liquid coffee creamer? Like CoffeeMate? Doesn't have to be all the different flavors, just regular.

Roberto

Sadly the Michigan Market has closed permanently. The owner told me she ran it for over 20 years and was tired.

Hard to find regular mushrooms althoug Ocasionaly Ley has them. Liquid coffee creamer, no se. Might check at Waldos on BJ.

jerry

French Vanilla Coffee Creamer
Prep Time: 5 minutes

Delicious, French Vanilla Coffee Creamer made at home using three ingredients.

Ingredients

• 1 can (14oz) Fat Free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cup fat free milk (skim)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions

1. Combine all three ingredients in a large mason jar (quart size). Add lid and shake vigorously. Use within one week.

gatorboy

Maraschino cherries are used in Manhattans and Old Fashions and made with Bourbon. Ezra Williams Bourbon is pretty reasonably priced at Total Wine. Maraschino cherries and oranges are available in RP, so what's to stop you from bringing a little of the US to Mexico?