Midweek Bird Island Boats

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Late yesterday afternoon, Oscar did return my phone call and I had to tell him that I had booked with Eco Fun. He said that it would have been hard to get enough people for a boat to go out there. I think they have a great service that is more personal, but it seems the winter time marketing area seems to be lagging for them.

I dont think it has anything to do with marketing. They are becoming a well established business in RP and especially since they are one of the one's to make it through the economic downturn. That being said, they need to have someone in the office 6 days a week from 8aam to 4pm to answer and return phone calls. I can't tell you how many times I'm in town and just want to stop by the shop to say hi to Oscar and it is ALWAYS closed. That is not very inviting for someone looking to stop into the office to ask question or book a sail. The business could be run better yes but you will be hard pressed to find someone as knowledgeable and friendly as Cap. Oscar.

LOOK HERE

DELMARCHARTERS4LIFE

marybna

About 4 or 5 years ago I had a family from Colorado stay at one of my places for 5 days. They wanted to go out on a boat for a few hours close to shore. A bartender got them a guy at Cholla Bay to take them out on his boat. They rode down and saw Sandy Beach, Old Port and down south. They came back and went No. They got to swim with seals and saw some dolphins. They went to JJ's and met the guy there. They went out for maybe 3 hours. Cost him $50-60 for the trip. They want to come down again and go out on the water again. Does anyone know anyone that takes people who take people out on the water?

mis2810

It's going to cost more than $50-60 for the trip to Bird Island. Del Mar Charters is HIGHLY recommended. Capitan Oscar is the ABSOLUTE BEST. Smaller boat, personalized service, burritos, drinks (alcoholic and non). $85.00 per person. Leaves the marina at 8:45 in the morning. Must have at least 6 people to go out. Only other choice I know of is EcoFun. Huge boat - lots of people = slower. $99.00 per person, less time at Bird Island because it takes longer to get there and back. Leaves at 6:30 in the morning (no thanks). Not sure about this part, but I think the boat is too large to get in close enough and you have to get in a raft to take you closer to swim with the sea lions.

Del Mar Charter = is like having a friend with a private boat.
EcoFun = Cattle Car.

I would agree that this time of the year, Del Mar Charters is the way to go. While I had a great time in January with the folks I went with, EcoFun, they were the only ones going out to the island but for that I was grateful for because we had a great time. I agree the service is more personalized with Oscar because you are with a smaller group, which is great, and a great thing going is you do take a faster boat out there so your travel time is drastically reduced. I rode with Oscar several years ago and enjoyed myself a lot. If you ended up going with EcoFun you would still have a good time as well. A difference with EcoFun and Del Mar is you can use kayaks to paddle around the island and there is a smaller boat to take you around and up close to the sea lions.

On Del Mar, I remember meeting a gentlemen who I think was the owner or one of the owners when I went out with them the first time. And my conversation with him stuck in my head till this day because I recall him telling me about his son who had been in Iraq, and had since gotten out of the Army and was in the States, but I remember his son and I were in the same Division and that's something that I made note of. Well, fast forward 2 years later and I believe it was his son I saw in the news- in the White House receiving the Medal of Honor from the President. When he were talking that day in the Malecon, he had also mentioned to me that his son was being nominated for the prestigious medal and sure enough he ended up being awarded it.

marybna

The trip they went on was 3 hr. When you are only there for a short time, you do not want to spend the whole day at Sea. We did the Bird Island and it was great but once was enough. Someone need to have a short trip 2-3 hrs.

mis2810

Mary depending on the speed of the boat maybe it's 3 hours. Bird Island isn't exactly around the corner. Del Mar gets you out there in about an hour, you spend time at the island and then an hour back. We left about 9 and got back about 2:30. Why go all the way out there to look around for 20 minutes and come back? Besides, part of the fun is getting to see the dolphins on the way out and back!

marybna

Thank you. When we went out quite a few years ago it seems that we left about 8 and got back about 4, A few years ago we went out on the Pirate ship and night and it was rough and Jack got seasick.