Military Cehck point hurting Rocky point

MNK003

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I just came back from RP yesterday and couldn't believe the jack-wagons manning the military checkpoint. Let me say that I have been coming down for 12+ years and have zero worry over corruption or any goofy preconceived ideas on Mexico.....I know EXACTLY what it's all about. Both entering and exiting I was (to be polite) berated for not speaking Spanish. Also, when they searched my car (which I am fine with) they were joking around and tossing crap wherever they wanted. They knew I didn't speak Spanish so they thought it was a joke.

I was polite, but if someone in the States acted like these kids were acting I would have had a different position. I'm not gonna get into an argument with a Mexican military "official", but I'm betting a lot of people won't be returning if they get treated like I did. Sad to see a bunch of 20-something "tools" treating their jobs like they are Barney Fife.

MNK003

I should probably clarify my post/thread....it's not the Military checkpoint that could hurt Rocky Point, but rather the way they are treating people....BIG big difference. I have no problem with the check point at all.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
They are young, they are conscripted (for the most part) they have zero knowledge of tourism....zero. Be patient they will learn this is the way they learn. As things move forward I believe that they will be trained better. Ojala!

playaperro

El Pirata
I should probably clarify my post/thread....it's not the Military checkpoint that could hurt Rocky Point, but rather the way they are treating people....BIG big difference. I have no problem with the check point at all.
Agreed, I heard (hearsay) and my sources are pretty good that they just changed out the sold gers that were manning the check point, also said the line was over a mile long!
I'll be crossing in the morning with no meat, but my dog will be coming with, anyone know if their checking engine compartments, need to hide the dog food..LOL

Roberto

Yes they recently changed the entire crew out there so they are all newbies prolly taking the new assignment seriously. They will mellow out before the next changeover.

playaperro

El Pirata
I'd put it in smaller bags and tape the bags to my body. They never do a body search.
He'll even eat purina dog chow, not a high maintenance dog like scooter. where do they sell a small bag of that. I seen pedigree at the vets. I don't shop at sams quantities are a bit large, How you doing on wine?

Roberto

Small bags at Santa Fe, Super Ley & the Bodega. Hey thanks for askin. Pick me up a 5L box of Merlot, prefer Vella brand but Franzia is OK. You don't have to tape that to your body or bury it in the cooler !!!

We have never had a problem. They have been polite and have never searched our car. We are down at least once month. We also give them water as we leave town

El Gato

We went north this morning. At the check point they were very nice, although did ask us to open the trunk and it was checked briefly. Were going to CA and were told to go by way of Gila Bend as we could have a very long wait crossing the border at San Luis or Mexicali - ended up going through 4 US check points. All very nice but took time :)

Estella

Hello PP lovers. It is a sad situation now. Both countries have shifted heavily into drug trafficking prevention. Legality for Checkpoints inside USA are loosely based on supreme court ruling on Martinez-fuerte, border agent has a split second decision to order you to pull over for inspection once you make a complete stop at the stop sign. Most people just give up their right (4th) soon as they open the window and proceeds to talk to the agent. It is a trick that border patrol plays on people on giving up their amendment rights so that's why we have these checkpoints popping up like mushrooms after rain. As for the Mexico there is a law on freedom of travel, so these military checkpoints lack legitimacy, but just because of lack of rule of law in mexico these military checkpoints are everywhere, searching your car, braking stuff in your car, even planting drugs on you. There is a new story about this: EXCLUSIVE: AZ family says sister-in-law jailed in Mexico - CBS 5 - KPHO And this is from Sonora tourism webpage:
Rocky Point has exactly three roads into and out of town. There is a check point just outside of town on each of these roads helping to keep the riffraff away. Just think about the good that they are doing for our little city. So, next time you come through, instead of grumbling about the extra hassle, be grateful that they are doing their job keeping us all safe
And I would like to respond to that with this great quote: Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.(Benjamin F)

Last edited:

Estella

Please expand on what problems you have personally had with CBP.
Absent of any suspicion US customs agent made me pull into secondary inspection and I had to sit on a chair that they ordered me to sit in the sun, while agent went trough my car pulling trimming, pulling on carpet, braking things just because its an old car and he felt that its not a big deal. Agents won't ask you how to open something, they just assume it opens this way, like they pulled on the back seat and broke the mounting pin. This happened few times, and in general agents were arrogant and not polite at all. As for the internal checkpoint I never had any problems except few times where I refused to answer any questions and questioned the legality of the checkpoint.

Roberto

Problem is that they have a lot of leeway in what they can do. Might not be able to arrest you or charge you with some infraction, but they sure can give you a headache and be a royal pain in the a##. I just smile and act a little stupid or make a wisecrack to break the ice. Had no problem in the 4 times I've crossed in the past 3 years !!

Miakko

No problems at checkpoint and we go through several times a week. Some of the US CBP guys on the other hand are j##ks.

dmcauley

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I just came back from RP yesterday and couldn't believe the jack-wagons manning the military checkpoint. Let me say that I have been coming down for 12+ years and have zero worry over corruption or any goofy preconceived ideas on Mexico.....I know EXACTLY what it's all about. Both entering and exiting I was (to be polite) berated for not speaking Spanish. Also, when they searched my car (which I am fine with) they were joking around and tossing crap wherever they wanted. They knew I didn't speak Spanish so they thought it was a joke.

I was polite, but if someone in the States acted like these kids were acting I would have had a different position. I'm not gonna get into an argument with a Mexican military "official", but I'm betting a lot of people won't be returning if they get treated like I did. Sad to see a bunch of 20-something "tools" treating their jobs like they are Barney Fife.
I find this hard to believe. They are not all kids but they are all very polite. Sometimes I speak in English just so they don't ask too many questions but I am glad they are there. Look at the crowds this weekend if you want proof. No attitude usually begets no attitude (vica versa)

ADR

My only issue with the checkpoint is the wait time. I have waited close to an hour several times. However they are always polite, just annoying. Yesterday going north, the military guy spent 5 minutes trying to chat up my sons 19 year old girlfriend, instead of just clearing traffic... Clearly trying to hit on her in broken English. No questions were asked related to our trip, what we were bring with us, etc. Just flirty chat type talk. After about 5 minutes, I finally just said, Well, nice talking to you, rolled up my windows and drove off...I don't mind being checked, as it is for everyone safety, but holding up a very long line just to flirt?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've never had trouble with the military checkpoints... Just smile and give them water... And speak English, too....