Minimum documents to cross back into U.S.

SunDevil

I know this has been discussed before but I would like to know exactly what the minimum document requirements are for an adult to cross back into the good ole US of A?

Birth certificate, drivers license, credit card, utility bill, etc.

Is there a federal government web page that documents these minimum requirements? It would be nice to print it out and have it with us.

I understand it will probably require additional time to cross back in but we have family that wants to go to RP and they do not have passports.

Thanks!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Under the new rules you are supposed to have your passport. This is the fastest way to cross back into the States from Mexico.

However.........if you have documents that prove you are a US citizen (Birth Cert, Military ID) you have a constitutional right to gain access to your country of birth without a passport. It may take a few more minutes and they will scold you "like you should have your passports but this time its ok, next time though....."

Under 16 years old birth Certificate is all you need.

Hope that helps, btw the weather is great and the ocean is beautiful!

I haven't bothered with the Passport yet, just show my DL and BCertif and they haven't even bothered with a 30 second "tisk tisk" the last few times I've gone down, which has been a least once every 90 days since they enacted the "requirement." You'll be fine.

FYI

Coming back into the US on Wed, the agent informed me my passport expired in April of 2010. I had no idea. I had gone through the border no less than 10 times since then. Interesting.

As he was typing in the computer, he mentioned, I am noting the expiration so make sure and have a copy of this one if you haven't gotten your new one by your next trip.

I think i just got profiled........ha

Had not received my renewal a couple of trips back, so had my DL, a government ID, a copy of the old passport, and a copy of the application for the renewal. The agent returned everything but the DL without even looking at it....just typed my DL info in the computer...and didn't give me any grief whatsoever.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
it has been my experience that a drunken, stinking, crawling college kid who happen to be a US citizen lost his passport and was admitted to the USA by giving his ss# and answering a few questions, then again situation will change as they come up but for sure all you need is to bring your self up to the counter and explain your particular situation and depending in how thrusthfull you sound to them and the mood the officer is, at that time, they will let you pass quickly or make you wait untill they verify for sure that you are the person you say you are.
However to be in the safe side you will need a picture ID and an original or a notirized copy of your birth certificate for adults as well as for kids, although for kids under 16 you might get away just with the bc