More Night Life

Kenny

I never really dove at night, but when we would surf or swim at night on the Pacific side my whole system would go on red "high alert".. Do you get that feeling as well?

I never really dove at night, but when we would surf or swim at night on the Pacific side my whole system would go on red "high alert".. Do you get that feeling as well?
Kenny... I'm usually too fascinated with what I see in that narrow beam of light in front of me to be worried about what is out there watching me...

but I do select areas that tend to be less frequented by anything big enough to eat me... (I hate to think what a horrible taste I'd leave in the mouth of any shark that would care to bite me... I worry more about those colosal squid)

Kenny

Kenny... I'm usually too fascinated with what I see in that narrow beam of light in front of me to be worried about what is out there watching me...

but I do select areas that tend to be less frequented by anything big enough to eat me... (I hate to think what a horrible taste I'd leave in the mouth of any shark that would care to bite me... I worry more about those colosal squid)
I spent my first eight years,( before I came to Phoenix the first time) on the beach in Torrance where the Abalone divers right around the corner ,off the point, we're getting hit. When I came back later as a teenager and started to surf and free dive off the coast...Well you remember those things. It's not a fear so much, and you don't think about it all the time or much, But there was always that subconscious awareness for me, always.

Good stuff, thanks.

But there was always that subconscious awareness for me, always.

Good stuff, thanks.
very true Kenny... there is always that subconscious awareness... as I said I am more worried about the giant squid than sharks... but I have a great deal of respect for sharks... more than any fear of them... if there is a shark that wants to take a nibble out of me it doesn't matter if it's day or night, they are going to take that nibble out of me...

they say the best thing to do to defend yourself from a shark :fish: is to punch them in the nose, and if that doesn't work... then you poke 'em in the eye with your stump... :roll:

I spent my first eight years,( before I came to Phoenix the first time) on the beach in Torrance where the Abalone divers right around the corner ,off the point, we're getting hit.
a big part of why those abalone divers were getting hit is pretty much the same reason spearfishers get hit... they are swimming with chum attached to them...

think of it, abalone or a speared fish is putting off a tasty trail of blood and or guts to many a hungry sea creature... and sharks will bite more than just what you have in a goodie bag or on a stringer...

Kenny

They knew..

a big part of why those abalone divers were getting hit is pretty much the same reason spearfishers get hit... they are swimming with chum attached to them...

think of it, abalone or a speared fish is putting off a tasty trail of blood and or guts to many a hungry sea creature... and sharks will bite more than just what you have in a goodie bag or on a stringer...
You should have seen what gunny sack's full of fish over the side of the boat,(didn't have a fish well), would attract off Pelican Point and that area in the 50's. They knew when the dived for Abalone off Palo's Verde's Peninsula that it attracted sharks, but like a lot of high risk takes it's always going to happen to somebody else, not them.

I've seen a lot of hammerhead off of pelican point... a gunny sack full of distressed and or bleeding fish would have sent off a nice signal to the sharks...

Kenny

I've seen a lot of hammerhead off of pelican point... a gunny sack full of distressed and or bleeding fish would have sent off a nice signal to the sharks...
I saw one pulled in there one night from shore, about a 6 footer back in the late 50's. We also saw some big Manta ray's in the bay back then.