Moving Kayaks Back and Forth Across Border

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
We’re thinking of getting a pair of fishing kayaks for use in Cholla Bay and in the SoCal lakes near our summer home. Ideally I’d like to trailer them back and forth a couple times a year, and they would probably spend equal time on either side. What problems am I going to have with this strategy? Are the Mexican border people going to want me to import them and pay 16%? Are the US people going to give me trouble on trips back?

Roberto

Well Known Member
Well do not bring that up or the city will find a way to health tax the passage through the sanitary barrier for kayaks, ATVs, trailers, you name it. Great income sources.

audsley

Well Known Member
Hate to predict anything about Mexico, but if your registration and license on the trailer are in perfect order you shouldn't have any trouble on either side. That's how it's been.

As for exploiting Covid-19 as a new source of tourist income, the Mexican government should eventually figure out where price resistance starts to diminish revenues. Same for the inconvenience factor. Penasco addicts will put up with some of this stuff, but I wouldn't want to promise a first-timer a wonderful experience down there right now. With the beaches closed, Mexican tourism doesn't need to add more cost and hassles.

kahunito

There was a guy in the RV park just south of the Pit that had a two person sit on kayak for sale last year. Still kicking myself in the butt for not getting it! Dont remember if Sams has 2 person kayaks for sale.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
We’re thinking of getting a pair of fishing kayaks for use in Cholla Bay and in the SoCal lakes near our summer home. Ideally I’d like to trailer them back and forth a couple times a year, and they would probably spend equal time on either side. What problems am I going to have with this strategy? Are the Mexican border people going to want me to import them and pay 16%? Are the US people going to give me trouble on trips back?
What state will the trailer registration be in? I don't know anything about Cali but in AZ all trailers are PERM plated. You're not even required to put the title of the trailer in your name. Once the trailer is registered in AZ it's for life. When I bought the Seadoo GTX 3 years ago I felt more comfortable putting the jet ski trailer in my name to ease any hassle I may have at the border. I always take my trailer title with me along with dog papers in a document folder we take every trip. Never been asked for it. Boat has AZ registration that they (MEX) DO ASK FOR EVERY TIME. Now obviously the question is in regard to kayaks. You won't have any trouble whatsoever with the trailer or the kayaks. I've never had one question or bad experience in 10 years now with the kayak. I have seen them put the density tester on it or knock on it because it's a sit on top, they're hollow. Aside from that. You're good to go. Kayaks are extremely popular these days. I'd say we come across at least 5 vehicles traveling in either direction with kayaks. Trailer or not, you're good to go. I would just make sure trailer is in your name. ICE has never asked about trailer specifically or the kayak.

AZRob

Well Known Member
the only down fall of hauling them, it put a cop target on you. last time I went down had one in back of the truck got stopped before border and was hustled for $20 by the local PD.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
the only down fall of hauling them, it put a cop target on you. last time I went down had one in back of the truck got stopped before border and was hustled for $20 by the local PD.
Ok that is complete bullshit! LOL come on Rob! You had one in the truck one time when you got pulled over? Not a coincidence? I've made 50 trips with a kayak and or jet ski trailer and NEVER attributed one time of being pulled over to the kayak or boat. It has zero relevance. You being a tourist with money has more relevance than anything.

AZRob

Well Known Member
Ok that is complete bullshit! LOL come on Rob! You had one in the truck one time when you got pulled over? Not a coincidence? I've made 50 trips with a kayak and or jet ski trailer and NEVER attributed one time of being pulled over to the kayak or boat. It has zero relevance. You being a tourist with money has more relevance than anything.
Ok all knowing Joe. So next time Ill drive a pos truck, tie my kids in the back bed with the luggage and have an old Junker in the back and I should be fine. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Ok all knowing Joe. So next time Ill drive a pos truck, tie my kids in the back bed with the luggage and have an old Junker in the back and I should be fine. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.
I'm only saying for anyone reading this from the outside you make it seem as though you're more likely to get pulled over or harassed if you have a kayak with you???? I'm saying I have 10 years of taking a kayak with me pry 8 trips a year for 6 of those years not so much in the last year or so but I have never contributed being pulled over or the feeling of being stalked by the police to having a kayak with me. There is zero relevance. The Sonoyta cops are trying to get everyone. Speed has 98% to do with it. The other 2% bad luck...

Pinefish

I've never had any hassles, questions, or delays with 2 kayaks strapped to the top of my truck and campershell in over 15 years. I don't make the trip as often as some, only a couple times a year, and also don't have a trailer. But I've never been stopped by the cops while I've had the kayaks with me. The one ticket I got was a lame parking ticket (that's a whole other story), but didn't have the kayaks on the truck at the time.

AZRob

Well Known Member
Dang those must be shark bars around it. Nice rig. Looks like it has blue LED lights on back side and on side of bow. Real cool. Rigged for night fishing. I wonder if there are lights on bottom.

Last edited: