My experience at Servicios Medicos Veterinarios in Puerto Penasco

Thumper

PART 1 of 2
My experience at Servicios Medicos Veterinarios with veterinarians Dr. Leon and Dr. Wong June 2023

If you have a Rabbit, please read and share with other rabbit owners. This does not apply to Dog or Cat owners.

This has nothing to do with how well Servicios Medicos Veterinarios Dr. Leon and Dr. Wong have cared for your dog or cat. They seem very knowledgeable on treating Dogs and Cats. Barb's Dog Rescue uses them and they get paid very well so losing me as a client will not make a difference. I am sharing my experience to prevent another rabbit's death. This happened here, but it can happen anywhere with any vet. It does not matter how many years your vet has been practicing. I only want to make people aware of what happened and how this could have been avoided. If you don't have a rabbit, please scroll past and don't post comments of how well they treated your dog or cat. This pertains to Rabbits and our experience.

Double check what your vet has prescribed for your rabbit. Check if the medication should be used as a treatment in rabbits. Make sure the dosage is correct for your rabbit’s weight. Review side effects to understand the risks before giving to your rabbit. A rabbit requires a Vet that specializes in exotic animals. We are limited to who can treat rabbits here Puerto Penasco. I only know of Dr. Adrian Sixto and I will no longer recommend Dr. Leon or Dr. Wong for RABBITS.

Dr. Adrian Sixto did our spay and neuter 9 years ago when he worked at Servicios Medicos with no complications and we were NOT given any antibiotic or pain medication to take home. They were eating an hour after coming home and up and moving around that night. We called his office first to see if he could fix our new rabbit. Unfortunately he does not have the equipment to do the procedure at his own practice. The risk of cancer in an un spay rabbit is 40% by 2 yrs. old 80% by 6 yrs. old. My regret and mistake is that I did not look up that antibiotic. If we would have read the side effects, we would never have given the antibiotic to her.

How it all began:

Surgery for our new rabbit was cancelled 3 times and back and forth to try to reschedule took over 7 calls and 5 weeks of waiting. I had to go to the office twice because no one would call us back. Dr. Leon canceled the 1st surgery because Dr. Wong was not in and he did not have time. Dr. Wong canceled the 2nd surgery because Dr. Leon had an emergency and was not in town. Dr. Wong explained he was not comfortable in performing surgery on our rabbit, but is fine with dogs and cats. We appreciated his honesty in wanting to wait for Dr. Leon. The 3rd surgery was canceled because of a dog being hit by a car and brought in by Barb's Dog Rescue. All were valid reasons.

My problem was not the cancelations, but that they required me to withhold food for 8 hours prior to surgery. All Exotic Vets online will tell you to NOT do this and to find another vet. A rabbit cannot vomit like a cat or dog under an anesthetic. I knew if I pushed the issue, it would only offend them. I have always politely moved on and never once acted like I know more and they are not correct.

After the 1st cancelation we took her home after her appointment, gave her food and she started eating. I brought food and water to each appointment so they could get her eating as soon as possible. The 2nd cancelation we again took her home and got her eating immediately. The 3rd cancelation they did not call me to pick her up until end of day. They withheld food for almost 18 hours this time and for the day she actually had surgery. I asked them prior to leaving her there to please give her the food as soon as possible after surgery or if surgery was cancelled. They did not. I had a difficult time getting her to eat again because of how much time lapsed by them not feeding her. Their response is she will eat. When a rabbit stops eating their health declines rapidly. GI-Stasis is deadly. A rabbit's gut has to always be moving. This is common knowledge.

The antibiotic prescribed for my rabbit is widely used in a dog or cat. Cephalexin should never be given to a rabbit because of the high risk of side effects. Side effects are Loss of appetite and severe diarrhea with high mortality rate. There are safer antibiotics for rabbits. The receptionist asked if we gave it to her on an empty stomach because that will cause her to be sick. She is missing the point it should not have been prescribed to our rabbit. Every dose we gave her, her health declined. We called and they said give her more pain medication, continue antibiotic, and force feed her. Two hours later she was laying in her litter box with severe water diarrhea which is a sign she is going to die soon.

The vet's office is now closed. I had no way of contacting them after hours. I have never been given an emergency number if she got worse.

At this time is when I knew this was not a complication from surgery and not getting her to eat. I then looked up the medication prescribed by Dr. Leon. This was the error that caused my rabbit to die under their care. She no longer would swallow food or water with a syringe. I have never had a rabbit get to this level and there was nothing I could do, but wait for them to open in the morning. Fourteen hours of watching her suffer and knowing she was going to die.

We arrived at the vet's office at 7:45 am they open at 8:00 am. The receptionist finally showed up at 8:18 am with her iced coffee and pastry to open the office. I was calm and told her she is going to die and it is from the antibiotic she needs to be seen. This is when she is trying to tell me the medication is fine, they use it all the time in cats. She is not a vet or a rabbit owner.

Thirty minutes later Dr. Wong came out and told us Dr. Leon should be out shortly that he is on a call. We showed Dr. Wong the side effects of the antibiotic and the treatment that needed to be started and that most likely she was not going to make it. He showed no urgency and said he is going to see these other people and Dr. Leon will be out to help us.

Forty more minutes pass and Dr. Leon finally meets with us. We are still calm, not accusing them or blaming them. Explained what was going on. We showed him the information on the antibiotic he prescribed and how to start reversing this in hopes of saving her. His response to me was I am not a vet and researching online (because you can find anything online) causes more harm than good between client and vet relationships.

He then proceeded to say this could be a complication from surgery because there is always a risk when doing surgery. He did not acknowledge the symptoms corresponded to the antibiotic and that they should have prescribed something else. He did not want to even talk about the antibiotic. I never said I was a vet. I did not say he does not know what he is doing for treatment of rabbits. I asked again for him to start fluids, give probiotics and give her the medication to start reversing the acid build up in her system from that antibiotic AND to please look for anything else he wants to including doing blood work. He still showed no signs of concern or urgency to get an IV in her. His concern was that we were implying we were more knowledgeable than him and he is a VET.

Thumper

PART 2 of 2
In the 10 years of going to his office and only under his care for the last 5 or 6 years I was prescribed the wrong medication for my rabbits twice, told to give incorrect dosage of medicine once, and four misdiagnosis. This eventually resulted in complete blindness in one rabbit, one slow death over a few years with declining health from the long-term side effects of not being treated correctly, and now a quick death within four days. I watched him give my senior rabbit a high dose of medicine. Before he did it I politely said that is twice the dose he has ever been given by you and he weighs less now. His response was "its fine" and proceeded. He had loose stools that day because of the dosage. I had to give him the same medicine for two more days. The next day I gave him his usual dosage and his stool returned to normal.

We only went to him in the beginning because we called for Dr. Adrian and was told he no longer worked there and they do not know where he went. I asked Val if Dr. Leon could treat a rabbit and her response was he is a vet and can treat any animal. Clearly not true for any vet. We had no other option and my rabbits were sick. He prescribed the wrong medicine for the rabbits and when we called him to say they were getting worse his response was you need to give the medicine time to work. We did not know it was the medicine causing the problem until we located Dr. Adrian and took them in with the medicine we were given. He immediately said this is good in cats but not in rabbits. It will kill their good flora, give them severe diarrhea and has a high risk of mortality rate.

We never mentioned Dr. Leon was the vet that prescribed the meds. We avoided his office and never said anything to him because he cannot be wrong, he is a vet and we are not. We only used him if Dr. Adrian was not available, but always doubled checked things when I got home. We were his only rabbit patients here for many years. Unfortunately, they have a few more as of recently due to me. When I got my new rabbit from Posta I asked if they could see the rabbit and spay her. None of the vets there could see rabbits and were told nowhere in Penasco can fix a rabbit. I told them that Dr. Adrian fixed my rabbits here and both Dr. Adrian and Dr. Leon can see rabbits. Dr. Wong told us they have been getting more rabbits brought in since we got our new rabbit.

One of my biggest complaints is how this situation was handled from beginning to end. I never received one call to give me any updates. I had to call every day. We had surgery Monday, started antibiotics Tuesday, Called the office Wednesday at 3:30 pm to say she is not doing well and is not back to normal eating. Was told to give more pain medication, continue antibiotic, and force feed with syringe. Never once did a vet get on the phone with us. Dr. Wong speaks English very well.

A few hours later she was laying in her litter box with severe water diarrhea and becoming lethargic. Office is now closed and I had no way of contacting them. We stopped the medication ourselves Wednesday after reading about it online, but she had a total of 6 doses in her system. Up all night with water diarrhea. Gave her several butt baths to avoid her incisions getting infected. Arrived at the office Thursday morning at 7:45 am and they opened late at 8:18 am.

I called Thursday after 5:00 pm for an update. Called me back at 6:47 pm and I was told by the receptionist not the vets, she was improving and they were feeding her. Called again on Friday at 3:30 and Val said she could not give an update at this time and they would call us back, but they never did. I gave them until 9:30 am to reach out to us on Saturday and they did not. Called the office and Val eventually told us she died yesterday and we can come and pick her up. Never once did Dr. Leon or Dr. Wong speak to us as to what they determined was wrong, how they were treating her, zero calls and updates without me calling. They made the receptionist give us the news she had passed away not them. No explanation.

We went to the office after getting off the phone to pick her up and bring her home. We walked into the office and no one made eye contact or acknowledge us. Dr. Wong and Val were at the front desk. They then scattered and we quietly waited. No other people in the office waiting so it was the best time for them to have us come in. Waited 10 to 15 minutes to be taken into the dark office with no lights on and blinds closed (strange). We were very calm, never raised our voice, and never blamed them. I did start with it is unacceptable to never have called us and to have not told us she died yesterday (Friday). Dr. Leon's response was "oh no she died just a little while ago." I corrected him that Val told us it was yesterday. No response. No apology for lack of professionalism and compassion in handling the situation. Did not acknowledge they were at fault or even given an explanation of why this happened. They wanted to clarify we were taking her home. It only confirmed she had been dead for several hours and was already rotting so just another lie. The smell was so strong I was unable to let my bonded rabbit see her to understand she was dead and to say good bye. We got her because he was losing weight and depressed that he lost his senior mom 6 months ago due to misdiagnoses and an untreated disease by Dr. Leon.

When we were leaving, we asked to pay. Val told us not to worry about that now we can deal with that later. I informed her we will not be back and would like to pay now. She asked Dr. Leon how much and he said 2000 pesos. We all know if life saving measures were taken, tests were performed, medications given, and 24-hour care for 2 days it would cost a lot more.

It would have been better to have acknowledge a mistake was made, the antibiotic was the issue and a better medicine for a rabbit should have been prescribed. Instead, all I got was maybe with time we can continue our relationship. We will not ever go to his office again for any animal after what they put us through and lack of compassion shown. Mistakes happen, things are over looked, and a rabbit is very complicated pet to care for. I am not a vet and my fist two rabbits were my first. I have used the internet for 10 years and was able to keep them happy, healthy, and alive. Dr. Leon and Dr. Wong are VETS, but not experienced enough to treat rabbits. My healthy rabbit was dead in less than four days under their care or lack thereof. Due to their lack of experience with rabbits and not double checking the side effects of that antibiotic on a rabbit my healthy rabbit died. I felt he wanted to be right and I don't even know if they immediately started treatment or just put her in the back and said we will get to her later and go about their schedule. We wish we could have been with her when she passed, but we were not given that opportunity.

I am posting a link that sums up antibiotic use in rabbits. The article is easy to understand, but you can search vets and government web sites and get the same information. https://smallpetselect.com/guide-antibiotics-rabbits/

Please read about GI-Stasis which is also very deadly if you have a rabbit or are thinking of getting one. You will understand why food should not be withheld from rabbits. Rabbits are grazers who need to eat continuously. If they go even 12 hours without food, then they have a high chance of developing a potentially deadly condition called GI-Stasis. At most, a rabbit will typically live for around 3-4 days without eating. They withheld food from her for over 18 hours on two separate occasions. I never got her eating normal again after surgery due to giving her the antibiotic the next day. The antibiotic side effect was loss of appetite and we were already dealing with this from them withholding food for too long. I would wake up at 3:00 am each scheduled appointment (4 times) to make sure she ate everything she could before taking away her food as they required.

I regret ever going to them for any treatment. Very limited on options here. I can cross into the USA with a rabbit, but be denied entry back to Mexico (depending on who you get and how they are feeling).

We hope no one else has to experience what we did. They are not experienced in treating rabbits. They should do the right thing and not see rabbits now or in the future if they do not plan on continuing their education for treating rabbits.

amagick

Interesting read and of course sorry for your loss. We had a recent negative experience there and won't ever go back.