Mystery fish/fish report

Hello all! I spent several hours on the water this weekend in the kayak. Saturday was cloudy, choppy and windy, and other than one small sand bass I was skunked. I came in before it got too messy on the water. Sunday was sunny and warmer, calm winds in the morning but a pretty big, regular swell, winds picked up in the afternoon for a bit. I went to the spot where I caught a bunch of good size sand bass and triggers a couple weeks ago (off the point of the estero by tesoro) and couldn't believe I didn't catch anything. I had a hard time seeing the bottom so I figure maybe the choppy water and big swell filled the rocks in with sand and the fish went elsewhere. I then decided to go to the point on the other side of the estero entrance where there are a couple of small rock formations where birds congregate. I got into a spot that I figured would be perfect, I could see great rock structure in about 10-15 feet of water but all I managed to do was snag my kastmaster several times. Eventually made it back to Las Conchas and in the afternoon caught a decent trigger, some sort of small jack (I think) and a mystery fish right of the shore in a few feet of water. The mystery fish was dark greyish brown about 8-10 inches and was pretty non-descript. I've been scouring the internet to figure out what it was with no luck. I wish I could give a picture or better description. It looked like maybe it was in the bass family as it had some small spikes on its back but nothing like the sand bass. It had sharp fine teeth and a relatively small mouth. It was very scaly (big scales). Any thoughts? Also lesson from this trip is that I definitely need to invest in a fish finder...