Near Shore fishing 3/17-3/19 - Cholla, La Pinta, Lobos

CBFinet

Hello,

First of all thanks to everyone who has helped with my questions in the past. I've gained some very useful information and have had a great time though I'm still on the search for the elusive near-shore grouper or other larger fish.

I'll be down in RP this coming Mon-Wed to fish until my arms fall off. I have a 13 ft. Zodiac with a 6hp outboard so I'm limited to within a couple miles of shore depending on conditions.

I'll be by myself this trip as it's spring break ( I teach at NAU) and my fiance is still working so I would love to have a rider if anyone is interested. I have plenty of gear for everyone thanks to some generous Christmas gift cards to Cabelas from friends and family.

I usually put in at Tucson beach near Cholla Bay as it's easy to drive right down to the water. I've been strapping the boat to the top of my SUV which works well if there are 2 people to get it up there. Otherwise I can break it down and store inside the car.

Anyone interested in getting out for a day or 1/2 day? I've been catching lots of spotted bay bass as well as occasional triggers, corvina, and flounder. I just got some more gear that will be better suited for smaller grouper and other larger species if we can find them in close.

I've also considered running down to La Pinta or even Lobos if anyone is interested in going. If I don't get a rider I'll probably shore fish La Pinta as it's a pain to get everything down to the water there. If anyone has a line on a place to stay or camp in Lobos I would appreciate it. I've always wanted to get down there.

Let me know if anyone is interested or has any tips. I can fish 1 or 2 people comfortably plus myself. The boat uses very little gas and I've got plenty of supplies so the only cost to you would be food and drinks for the cooler. I'll even help you fillet the fish at the end of the day.

Chris

skuhr

Chris, I will be staying at the Mayan Palace and have a good bit of experience fishing at La Pinta. We are heading down 3-15 for a week. Can you email me? [email protected] I will be with my son (age 11) and anything we could set up for a day trip would be great. Happy to help with $$. Get back to me and we can set something up. (FYI I'm in Flagstaff) skk.

CBFinet

Chris, I will be staying at the Mayan Palace and have a good bit of experience fishing at La Pinta. We are heading down 3-15 for a week. Can you email me? [email protected] I will be with my son (age 11) and anything we could set up for a day trip would be great. Happy to help with $$. Get back to me and we can set something up. (FYI I'm in Flagstaff) skk.
Hi skuhr,

Just got your PM and will plan on emailing you later tonight or tomorrow. We should be able to set something up. I'm planning to stay at my parents' place in Sandy Beach which is why I often go to Tucson Beach in Cholla. It looks like I'll be heading down Monday morning and then back on Wednesday night or Thursday morning so the only full day I'll have there will probably be Tuesday and possibly Wednesday.

I've been to La Pinta before I got the Zodiac and fished from the other side (opposite Mayan). I remember the sand being pretty soft near the water so I may not want to drive down in my 2wd SUV but we could certainly carry the boat and gear to the water. I remember reading some reports with Google Maps images pointing out a trough or deeper area just outside of La Pinta. It looks like the high tides will be in the 2-3pm range so fishing on both sides of that should be decent.

I'll plan on talking to you soon.

Thanks,
Chris