Need a Periodontist. Anyone know a good one in Mexico?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I don't have much to add to this but a small story. I had just arrived in PP for a weeks stay. This was in 1976 when I was 19. I don't remember who the dentist was but he was in old port in a ramshackle house. He's probably dead now. My local friends took me there after I BROKE my entire molar. I was in extreme pain; almost crying. He took one look at me and gave me a shot of novacain before he even looked me over good. Then he fixed my tooth. I don't know exactly what he did but he glued everything back together and I was pain free right away. I think he charged me 40 dollars. I gave him 50 and ran out of there waving away my change. I had a great week and came back home. Probably 4 months later, I went to my regular dentist for my check-up and cleaning and right away he says, "Who did this work?" I said, "oh, I broke my tooth in Rocky Point and a dentist there fixed it." My dentist practically came unglued and said." have you lost your mind? Those places are filthy and he may not have even gone to school, there's no regulation there blah, blah, now I have to take it all apart and fix it properly and it's going to cost you more than if you had just come home in the first place blah blah". I finally got a word in edgewise and I said. "you are not going to touch that tooth, you are going to clean and do my check-up and if this tooth starts to bother me I will come back and you can fix it then." I have not had to have any work done to that tooth yet. That's probably my only one that hasn't had any more work done to it! I just always remembered that because of the perception that everything in Mexico is second rate and I know that is not true. Argh!:bunny:

A

AZ Miguel

If I was currently in Rocky Point and had a dental emergency I would have full confidence that my dental needs would be handled. However, I too have been going to Los Algodones for the same reason that so many other Americans and Canadians make that deliberate trip for their medical needs, because Los Algodones is the Mecca for export medical. So many choices all condensed in a small area so convenient to price and service compare. Dental, Eye glasses, Rx, Plastic surgery, Liquor, and the lists go on and they are not the typical inflated price as seen in RP. Here’s some example: Titanium flex frame progressive lens with the exam…$110, Same day crown color matched better then my EX-Ahwatukee dentist was capable of doing…$190. 750mil Kahlua…$8.00, Cigarettes…who cares, they’re nasty! Secure parking just foot steps away from the border also saves you Mexican auto insurance.

C

cactusamigo

Inka - It's hard to believe that we are talking about the same individual. My experiences have been totally different from what you describe. I have always been treated in a professional manner. Have never been charged for initial examination and evaluation. Prices were made clear, and agreed to ahead of time. I have always paid in U.S. dollars, by personal check. If your agreement was in Mexican pesos, and you paid with a credit card, the exchange rate was a problem with your credit card company. If you agree to a price before the work is performed, you cannot claim to have been "ripped off". It's hard to understand why you would go back if you had such a bad first impression. I have had impressions taken one day, and received my permanent crowns the next day - fitting perfectly. Never had this experience with any other dentist, U.S. or Mexico, where various amounts of grinding were required for a proper fit. Yamamoto built and owns his new facility. He was renting his previous location. That's why he moved.

It is best if one's problem can be cured without resorting to surgery, expensive, and painful. In my case it couldn't be avoided. I required some bone graft restoration.

There are many dentists in RP. It's good to post good experiences to help others in their search. Since the town is flooded with dentists, there are many with minimal experience, and with bare-bones equipment. Some will attempt procedures beyond their capability. I speak from my own experience.

Dental prices have been high in Nogales compared to RP, but the RP prices are rising. I know people who are very happy with the dental talent in Los Algodones, where the prices are significantly lower than in RP.