New Border Stuff At Lukeville

We crossed at Lukeville at about 1230 today . RV pulling a car. Homeland security stopped us and asked about any firearms. Told them we had none. He asked if we routinely had carried them and I said absolutely but that they'd been left on the U.S. side. He was merely trying to be helpful and make sure we had not forgotten to remove them prior to entering mexico.

Mexican side. We got the dreaded "Red Light" and siren. The two Mexican border agents waived us to the side. I will start by saying the were very polite and courteous. One spoke English fairly well. They asked for our passports and for the registrations on our rv and vehicle. They checked VIN numbers. They observed our 4 dogs and asked for paperwork on the dogs. They then asked about alcohol and inspected our refrigerator. They warned us about the fruit that we had but did not seize it. They asked about the hamburger patties but we informed them that they were veggie burgers. They asked about beef and saw the 2 steaks we had. They did seize those. They asked about dogfood. We enformed them that we had lamb/rice mix of dog food They warned us about the dog food but did not seize any. Specifically about the meat products in the dogfood. They photographed all paperwork and filled out a form, seizing the 2 steaks. Best of all no fine for anything.

We asked for and they provided paperwork on the items that were allowed to be brought into Mexico (available elsewhere on the NET I'm sure) We were there for about 10-15 minutes and then proceeded on.

While we were filing out the paperwork, 2 other rv's drove through. They got a green light and continued on without stopping. I mention this to show that ours was purely random stop.

According to what I learned later is that this has been happening more often. I'm told that the crossing now has an added agriculture inspection part to the Lukeville crossing that is starting to be more attentive to this sort of incoming stuff.

We've been coming to going to Puerto Penasco for 9 years. Many firsts this time.
We've had Agents ask for rv/car paperwork. Never had anyone ask about dog paperwork (doc office rabies paperwork sufficed, today) Never had anyone ask about meat, alcohol or dogfood or seize anything.

Sorry for the long post, but I guess what I'm try to say is Lukeville crossing seems to be coming up to the standards we've seen in Canada/US crossings and elsewhere. RATS

We were not upset, I figured it was bound to happen. They are merely enforcing existing regs on a random basis. Guards were nice and professional and just doing their jobs.

Thought I'd just give "headsup"

I have had a lot worse from the Americans. At least the Mexican border guards seem to be a lot more professional.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hey Vegas Dude..

Last time I crossed they stopped me and the young lady took a look in my cooler.

She held up a can of Tecate Light and ask, "You're taking Mexican beer into Mexico?"
We laughed and explained it was to hold us until we got to the store.
She laughed and sent us on our way with a smile. No big deal.

Roberto

Crossed yesterday both ways for the firts time in 2 or 3 years. Got confused by the fence around the shopping center but eventually found my way across. Driving a Mexican rental, no problems.

I was overwhelmed by the IGA/ACE hardware store. TOOOO much stuff.

marybna

We came back yesterday and one line(the one I was in) was really slow. They were asking a lot of question about why we were in Mexico, what we had brought back and the dog. The other line was not that way at all.

mis2810

We came back yesterday and one line(the one I was in) was really slow. They were asking a lot of question about why we were in Mexico, what we had brought back and the dog. The other line was not that way at all.
Sounds like Officer Gonzalez. Did he have a mustache and an accent?

Yeah. Happens sometimes. Every so often you either got a narcissist, or a rookie/narcissist. Those types tend to take themselves too seriously. In contrast, I remember years ago there was a regular officer at the border who was older -- Must have been retired from a higher post, because you could just tell he was good at assessing. A human polygraph. Really good. You just knew he could spot any discrepancies a mile away. Yet, he was laid-back friendly. All he would generally ask is, "Anything evil to declare?"

Any news on a checkpoint outside of sonoyta going to PP. A friend was stopped and had his truck/camper heavily searched. Nothing was taken, but was surprised by the depth of inspection.

Roberto

There has been a pretty much permanent checkpoint on the highway near the roundabout turn to the Mayan and or Laguna Shores.

Having some cold water bottles ready for the agents does help get you through quickly and makes them feel appreciated.