New Immigration Forms

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Good info! So, with the new FMM... do you *really* have to turn them in when they expire? I never did with the old tourist visa. Obviously, I left the country and went back to the USA. They simply handed the things out like candy at the 21km stop south of Nogales, or same when you're flying into the country. No computer entries were ever made. When one would expire, I'd just get a new one next trip and nobody ever said "bad boy" or anything of that nature.

Any thoughts? Or is it pretty safe to assume same ol' stuff, just a different name?

Roberto

"and you will essentially have all the rights of Mexican citizens except the right to vote. "

Do you know if this means you can hold land without a Bank Trust also ? Previously I understand this was not the case for FM2 holders. It is not real clear to me the advantages of an FM2 over an FM3 unless you wish to become a Mexican Citizen. My FM 3 is due for renewal in September so I need to apply soon to avoid the chronic late penalty created by foot dragging. Do you know about costs?

Roberto

No computer entries were ever made. When one would expire, I'd just get a new one next trip and nobody ever said "bad boy" or anything of that nature.

Any thoughts? Or is it pretty safe to assume same ol' stuff, just a different name?

Well, those FMT forms returned and the originals have been carefully stored and are all ready to be put into the computer. after they finally get them funded, purchased and installed. They have 20 years worth to enter ( there is a 20 year sunset on this law) and it will create data entry jobs for at least 10 years. You name is on the list of those not turning in your FMT in a timely manner. You 'will' be contacted after the computers get funded, installed and are operable and the data entry is completed and reviewed by the competent authorities (after they are found and trained). There will be an amnesty period when the miscreants can volunteer to turn in any old FMT's in their possesion and avoid prosecution. Violation of immigration laws is a serious matter in Mexico and you should make every effort to comply. I understand there is a cadre of new enforcement employees undergoing training to start sweeps of ID checking through businesses and tourist areas and the interior. New vehicles are also being purchsed, along with sophisticated video surveillence equipment to patrol along the border to stop illegal entry in to the country along the unpopulated border. As conditions in the US continue to deteriorate thousands of illegals are expected to stream across the border into Mexico daily. There is also a drive to empower local police to check and enforce immigration documents, but not based on the color of your skin. This decision to stop and inspect will be based on the used of turn signals. If you use them, you must be from a foreigen contry and may be 'passing' as a Mexican citizen. Stopping at stop signs will also arouse suspicion.
This may be a serious problem for you in the future Stuart. How long do you intent to live?

Roberto

You won't be laughing when they haul you off to prison, or confiscate your boat and vehicle and load you in a van and haul your a** back to the border. Everyone has their eye on yur truck already so remember, no turn signals, no stopping at stop signs, return your FMM EVERY trip !

don

Superb job Roberto! HAH!

So, got a question: We were planning on heading to RP this weekend and staying a week. Two of my children (adult aged) have procrastinated getting passports.They are applying for them on Tuesday AM. So, they will not have passports, but DL, BC and copy of form showing PP application. Think these documents will work for entry into both Mexico and US?

Likewise, since we are staying longer than 72 hours, we have to get these "immigration documents"?

"and you will essentially have all the rights of Mexican citizens except the right to vote. "

Do you know if this means you can hold land without a Bank Trust also ? Previously I understand this was not the case for FM2 holders. It is not real clear to me the advantages of an FM2 over an FM3 unless you wish to become a Mexican Citizen. My FM 3 is due for renewal in September so I need to apply soon to avoid the chronic late penalty created by foot dragging. Do you know about costs?
You still can't hold land without a Fideicomiso with and FM2. I guess I didn't make that clear, though, when I said: "After your fifth year of holding an FM2 you can apply to become an imigrado (immigrate permanently into the country). At that phase, you will get a blue card similar to the FM3/FM2 and you will essentially have all the rights of Mexican citizens except the right to vote."

I don't know about costs yet.

Superb job Roberto! HAH!

So, got a question: We were planning on heading to RP this weekend and staying a week. Two of my children (adult aged) have procrastinated getting passports.They are applying for them on Tuesday AM. So, they will not have passports, but DL, BC and copy of form showing PP application. Think these documents will work for entry into both Mexico and US?

Likewise, since we are staying longer than 72 hours, we have to get these "immigration documents"?
Well, you're SUPPOSED to get those FMMs, but frankly it's questionable whether or not you'll even be asked about them-- unless they're now keeping track of when vehicles actually enter Mexico or something.

Those documents would probably work, though they might get their hands slapped returning to the US of A and it's questionable whether or not the bank where you pay for the FMM at the border (Mexican side) will accept them. Do let us know what happens, regardless of whether or not you get the FMMs. There's no education like someone's first hand experience... ;)

Good info! So, with the new FMM... do you *really* have to turn them in when they expire? I never did with the old tourist visa. Obviously, I left the country and went back to the USA. They simply handed the things out like candy at the 21km stop south of Nogales, or same when you're flying into the country. No computer entries were ever made. When one would expire, I'd just get a new one next trip and nobody ever said "bad boy" or anything of that nature.

That's pretty unclear at this point, actually. These are the federal rules and they're very likely to be applied differently in different places. Each immigration office can (and does) set local requirements that might not follow the strict letter of the rules. Especially in a place like RP, where snowbirds or others who don't have an FM3 or FM2 are in the habit of coming and going almost as if there weren't a border (like to check mail, buy groceries, etc.), it could be problematical. When in doubt, whatever the local office says the law is, that's the law. ;)

When flying into/out of Mexico in the past there was always some point where all the passengers had to pass through immigration and turn in our FMTs. I have a story about that, but I'm not going to tell it in public, online. :notme:

don

Those documents would probably work, though they might get their hands slapped returning to the US of A and it's questionable whether or not the bank where you pay for the FMM at the border (Mexican side) will accept them. Any idea of the cost? I quickly scanned your posting, (Excellent info) but did not see a cost associated. Last time we had to get visas, cost was minimal. Same costs?
Can one get those on Saturday/Sunday?

Roberto

It is not clear to me what the benefits are of holding an FM 2 over an FM3. La H. your post still seems to read that after the 5 year period with an FM2 and and the changed status that you can hold land with a title.

Is it not the case that the FMT has never been required in the free zone?

This decision to stop and inspect will be based on the used of turn signals. If you use them, you must be from a foreigen contry and may be 'passing' as a Mexican citizen. Stopping at stop signs will also arouse suspicion.
wait, i can't tell if this was sarcasm, as far as the turn signals and stopping.

It is not clear to me what the benefits are of holding an FM 2 over an FM3. La H. your post still seems to read that after the 5 year period with an FM2 and and the changed status that you can hold land with a title.

Is it not the case that the FMT has never been required in the free zone?
The FMT has always been required even in the Free Zone if you stay longer than 72 hours. It's been pretty much ignored by everyone, though, including immigration.

The FM2: IF you decide early on that you want full time permanent status in Mexico as an immigrant, then going with an FM2 is the way to go because you'll get to your objective faster. Hold your FM2 for the required number of years and you can then apply for the next level-- the permanent permanent deal, just one step down from citizenship. You get a blue-colored card if you make it through that step. And once you've got the blue card (not the FM2) you can own land just like a Mexican, without restriction. At least (disclaimer here) that's what I've been told by folks who are immigration pros...

You can't apply for that status of immigration if you're holding an FM3, and the number of years you've had that FM3 don't count towards the years you need with an FM2.

If you don't care about being that permanent and/or don't intend to become a Mexican citizen, then an FMM or FM3 is all you need.