New Mexico border restriction?

JayT

I will believe it when we see it. It has been a full year since the essential travel restrictions were implemented last March, yet we've seen mostly wide open entry access for Americans traveling south and north at the Lukeville/Sonoyta POE. I have personally traveled back and forth several times since Fall 2020 with no issues. Blocking access would choke off a huge economic lifeline and the state of Sonora has recently turned green on Mexico's covid map. It will be interesting to see if anything really happens.

rplarry

Well Known Member
I will believe it when we see it. It has been a full year since the essential travel restrictions were implemented last March, yet we've seen mostly wide open entry access for Americans traveling south and north at the Lukeville/Sonoyta POE. I have personally traveled back and forth several times since Fall 2020 with no issues. Blocking access would choke off a huge economic lifeline and the state of Sonora has recently turned green on Mexico's covid map. It will be interesting to see if anything really happens.
I would agree with what you said, however this seems different.

Anybody else have any more definitive information?

audsley

Well Known Member
Notice it's supposed to apply to the southern border too. Creative minds with no official standing theorize there's a Biden/AMLO plan to shut off Central American migration through Mexico under the pretense of protecting Mexico's population from Covid. This should stem the Central American migrant tide that's giving Biden headaches. I'm not sure what's in it for Mexico except for vaccines they and Canada are receiving from the US. Now you have all the facts I have plus a plausible conspiracy theory.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
We’ve been back and forth 20 to 30 times, most recently 3 times in past two weeks. We’re legal residents of Mexico and don’t expect to see any problems. What was bad was when Puerto Peñasco was in lockdown and we couldn’t leave without being restricted from re-entering town.

audsley

Well Known Member
What's happened in the last several days means less than what happens in the next few. This latest thing just went into effect. This weekend and next will be relevant. What happened before isn't.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Since Aug 2020, Mexico (at least Sonora with Penasco) has declared Tourism essential travel.
We came down on the 16th, no issues just like it's been since Penasco opened back up for owners in late July/Aug.
We've been down 12+ times since last summer.
Lot's of people have been here the past 2 weekends. Even mid week.
Restaurants were very busy, Pollo Lucas was totally full tonight. Zip line always has a crowd when we have driven by.
I returned to the US in late Feb without even a comment from the US agent about non essential travel.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Last weekend, on our return to the US,the asked us why we went down several times, more pressing than in the past. We're still going down next weekend.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I went to Max’s for breakfast this morning. It’s likely I saw more visitors than any time other than spring break of last year, just as the shutdown was beginning. Half of the Can Ams in Arizona were queued up at the Pem Ex by the windmills. I took one look at Calle 13 and decided not to go that way.

audsley

Well Known Member
Fabrizo's post on the long border thread deals directly with the question. Looks like no problem, assuming the Las Palomas people know. I have a trip coming up so this was important to me.

Again, it's not the Americans you see in Rocky Point that tell you whether you have a problem getting into the country. Rather it's the people you don't see there. Now that it's Saturday we've had time to deal with tourists who got sent back if there were any.

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
For what its worth, the HOA sent that out earlier today. Unclear if the info is from the local health department or from higher up...

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
Travel requirements remain the same for travel to Rocky Point over Easter
UPDATED March 22nd, 2021

This is a clarification of the current status of travel to Rocky Point. In recent days, we have seen some conflicting information. We want to share current official rules set out by the local government.

This morning, Puerto Peñasco Municipal Health Coordinator Erik Gastelum publicly confirmed that requirements to travel to Rocky Point, and health rules while in town, will remain the same.

There will be NO requirement for proof of vaccine, or negative COVID test. You will NOT have to show proof of a reservation at a local hotel or resort. There will be NO health filter coming into town.

You are allowed to cross the border at Lukeville, travel to Rocky Point, and re-enter there back into the US. For example, 23 thousand tourists visited Rocky Point over the first weekend of Spring Break without a hitch. This according to the Peñasco Convention and Visitor’s Bureau.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Jesus christ! Mexico is a complete shit show. They put out conflicting advice in the same day some times. Good lord! We're coming this week with SCARED TO DEATH newbies... I can't have this anxiety of back and forth. I can hardly put up with that crap, let alone a scared white girl that thinks she's going to vacation in Iraq and I'm a hardened SONORA veteran!

ernesto

Well Known Member
Came yesterday , no problem at all. If they do enforce this I wonder if they accept proof of a vaccination in place of negative test result.

ernesto

Well Known Member
Semana Santa/ Easter Week Protocols for Puerto Penasco
Dear Vecinos,

There has been a bit of confusion concerning the protocols for Semana Santa/Easter Week. Per the Rocky Point 360 article listed below, there are no changes to the health and travel requirements for Puerto Penasco:

3.22 This morning, Puerto Peñasco Municipal Health Coordinator Erik Gastelum detailed current travel requirements/health policies when visiting Rocky Point this upcoming Semana Santa/Easter remain as had been approved by the Municipal Health & Safety Board in late February. He noted there would be NO HEALTH FILTER when coming into town. Hotels/restaurants/tourism businesses are encouraged to provide at least a 5% discount when someone presents negative Covid test - but NOT REQUIRED. Questions - Municipal Health Office 638 388 5152

Presently, the following information remains in effect for Puerto Peñasco this Semana Santa / Easter weekend, according to the city health official.
https://rockypoint360.com/rocky-point-health-protocol

This is from Las Conchas HOA