New Travel Warning..and it's for Rocky Point

jerry

Well Known Member
http://azstarnet.com/article_5d74d413-af6d-5d54-9293-eeed184ba5f4.html

"Travelers need to "exercise caution" in Nogales and Puerto Peñasco, an updated Mexico travel warning from the U.S. State Department says.
This is the first time the popular beach town also known as Rocky Point has been mentioned in an official travel warning.
"You are advised to exercise caution when visiting the coastal town of Puerto Peñasco," the warning says. "In the past year there have been multiple incidents of TCO (transnational criminal organizations) -related violence, including the shooting of the city's police chief. U.S. citizens visiting Puerto Peñasco are urged to cross the border at Lukeville, Ariz., to limit driving through Mexico and to limit travel to main roads during daylight hours."

jerry

Well Known Member
Rosy fights back!
"The new warning didn't affect Rocky Point on Friday, said Rosie Glover, director of the Rocky Point Tourism and Visitor Assistance Office. The hotels and rental houses were full of beach-goers enjoying Easter weekend, she said. "We've got a bunch people in town and everything is calm," Glover said."

ernesto

Well Known Member
And they're firing up the advertising for SoCal in the papers at the same time. Keep that green in the Ol USA.

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
of course a warning for rp would come out at this time of year....just as things are picking up there. Seems like the same time every year it happens...wonder how many drug deals & shootings were in az in the past 24 hours

jerry

Well Known Member
A group of 10 guys packing dope came out of the mountains behind our ranch South of Bowie last night.....I thought about calling BP(2 hour response if your lucky) but remembering the rancher that did call them and is now dead made me just go back to bed.

Roberto

Well Known Member
A group of 10 guys packing dope came out of the mountains behind our ranch South of Bowie last night.....I thought about calling BP(2 hour response if your lucky) but remembering the rancher that did call them and is now dead made me just go back to bed.
Do you have a pack of dogs loose at the ranch? I would. Stop by Nancy Phalens and adopt 4 or 5 !! If they come to the house in the face of dogs you know you'll make the call and get your gun. I'd keep a nice 12 ga., medium choke, loaded with #2 Mag. turkey loads. One for each, with extra shells on the stock. Maybe a couple of grenades too !! And don't forget the wasp and hornet spray for clos in work !!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!

SHAME ON YOU ARIZONA DAILY STAR and STATE DEPARTMENT!

On Saturday, April 23, 2011, the State Department and the Arizona Daily Star had the audacity to warn citizens against traveling to Rocky Point, Mexico citing a total of 13 murders in 2009, and 7 homicides thru July 2010. Besides becoming incensed, we found your message to be so ironic considering the fact that Tucson experiences at least 13 murders a MONTH not to mention numerous home invasions. Most of these heinous crimes are due to the incessant illegal drug activity in this community. I have news for you; violence exists everywhere, not just in Mexico. Need we recall Tucson’s senseless murders in January of several innocent bystanders at a shopping center, the attempted murder of one of our own political officials or the murder this month of a 7 year-old boy that happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time?? My husband and I fail to understand the Arizona Daily Star’s and State Department’s need to continually malign Mexico when our community suffers from the same malaise only to a much greater extent. Before ‘throwing stones’, let’s look in our own backyard. And your timing for printing these warnings is impeccable-always before a holiday or peak tourist season and in bold print headlines. We’ll be awaiting your next Mexico warning before Memorial Day.

Donna Whitman, Retired Court Department Director
Frank Valenzuela, Community Activist

Roberto

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me if the headline I see in the illustration of the Az Star "Saving Those Who Need not Die" is the actual headline headline for the article about Penasco or was it about something else. Thanks, don' t see the Star down here.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I looked but did not find that headline or article. Some interesting historical stuff though ! Still interested in an answer to my question though.

dmcauley

Well Known Member
Most of the visitors to RP this weekend could not read English anyways.
What makes me mad are all the people that live here and are afraid to go to RP. Some of them born and raised in Chicago.
Some people are afraid of the "stray bullet", but that can happen anywhere. Still, my opinion nor anyone elses from this forum is going to convince anyone that RP is safe.

jerry

Well Known Member
My right wing friends seem to be under more pressure not to come...Fox News wants mexico to collapse

Terry C

Well Known Member
As it's been said before, the media chimes in at the right time. Last year it was Spring Break. Don’t go. Yes, it was a wrong report. Did they correct it? This time it’s Nogales and Rocky Point. 100’s of miles apart and they caught wind of a murder in Rocky Point? Would you go to several bad places in Phoenix or Tucson? The road is safe to Rocky Point IMO. I think my worst fear is all the signs that you might hit something in the road, like a Big Horn Sheep, a ground Hog, a Deer or an antelope and all the other signs posted on the road down. Some time ago people were pasting white surf boards on the walking signs as you went down. Don’t hit one of them.

El Gato

Well Known Member
We especially love the roadrunner sign.

As it's been said before, the media chimes in at the right time. Last year it was Spring Break. Don’t go. Yes, it was a wrong report. Did they correct it? This time it’s Nogales and Rocky Point. 100’s of miles apart and they caught wind of a murder in Rocky Point? Would you go to several bad places in Phoenix or Tucson? The road is safe to Rocky Point IMO. I think my worst fear is all the signs that you might hit something in the road, like a Big Horn Sheep, a ground Hog, a Deer or an antelope and all the other signs posted on the road down. Some time ago people were pasting white surf boards on the walking signs as you went down. Don’t hit one of them.

GringoZona

Well Known Member
"You are advised to exercise caution when visiting the coastal town of Puerto Peñasco,” the warning says. “In the past year there have been multiple incidents of TCO (transnational criminal organizations) -related violence, including the shooting of the city's police chief. U.S. citizens visiting Puerto Peñasco are urged to cross the border at Lukeville, Ariz., to limit driving through Mexico and to limit travel to main roads during daylight hours."

What about that statement is not factual? Yes, the Star article shouldn't have brought up the falsified May 2010 statement in this current article, as it sort of muddied the waters once again. But what is stated in this current advisory DID happen, and happened in Penasco, NOT Nogales. They could have mentioned the recent Mardi Gras weekend shooting at the car show/parade--which happened in broad daylight w/ the perpetrators leaving town without incident--but they didn't.

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Oh, and by the way, these warnings pop up before holiday weekends because that's when Americans travel!!! Not just to Mexico but to other countries as well. Wouldn't you expect to see more advisories during the holidays?