New Warning re Speeding to Rocky Pt.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I especially like the report of sighting a lone Vaguita swimming along in the sea while driving down the highway or maybe across the salt flats at 120 MPH,!! Or was that sitting at the bar in Cholla, or from his balcony in the Mirador. Quite a fella that one.

The Man

As an older and wiser person, I really can't see any reason to be driving those speeds between Rocky Point and the border. The danger increases exponentially as your speed increases and you are only saving yourself a few minutes at best. I have seen lots of wildlife on and near the road and even hit a couple rabbits over the years on that stretch. If saving 5 minutes is really that important to you, leave 5 minutes earlier and drive at a reasonable speed.

Lecture over.
Boy did I learn my lesson around
'03 doing 70/80 going north one night. Just south of Sonyota in my high beams were a heard of horses.
I locked my breaks and skidded a very long way. The anumals were most likely light blinded.....so as I was skidding lucky stright I shut my lifhts off and put back on. I was lucky, very, they moved to the side as I slid past them. That was the last time I ever did such hi speed. I was lucky I did not smash into them.
From then on drove speed lumit.
I was lucky.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
'03 doing 70/80 going north one night. Just south of Sonyota in my high beams were a heard of horses.
I locked my breaks and skidded a very long way. The anumals were most likely light blinded.....so as I was skidding lucky stright I shut my lifhts off and put back on. I was lucky, very, they moved to the side as I slid past them. That was the last time I ever did such hi speed. I was lucky I did not smash into them.
I was lucky.
A wise man learns from his mistakes. An extremely wise man learns from others mistakes.....

bringitbig

Well Known Member
Yup, We left RP tuesday. Cops were also sitting at the Red Cross donation stop sign. Cars heading southbound can't see them cause of a little hill just outside Sonyota. 40k is the speed limit until ya get outta town. Saw one arizona plated car get easily pulled over.

Also northbound, Mexican Marines were stopping all rv's heading north. They just wanted to see the inside. Talked to four different rv'er. They all got stopped and boarded. They were about 100 yards south of the US border.
Yep, we came back through in mid February and the marines were stopping RV’s heading out, about 100 yards from the border. Sad part is, and I don’t know what was going on, but there was a huge influx of RV’s heading south. I’m talking half million dollars and up RV’s. Imagine the line to get out when they all leave, they take up like 2-3 vehicle spaces.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I was lucky.
Yup, back in the day when I was young and dumb and still drove down at night, I crested the hill right by the altars doing about 70. There was a herd of cows in the road with 2 cowboys on horseback. I had both feet on the brake pedal. Those 33's can squall! I finally got her shut down and had to listen to a stream of profanity. I speak Spanish, lol. The quote that stood out was "pinche loca Americana" I never wanted to be that so I was never that again...… Learned my lesson!