New Years Eve Rain & Power Outages

Bob Oso

Well Known Member
Kind of surprised that this hasn't been brought up already. Arrived in Cholla Monday 27th, with plans to ring in the New Year at JJ's one last time before the shutdown/remodel. Mon-Tues-Wed were great days and was able to get a bunch of those "I'll get around to it" jobs completed, or made worse depending how you look at it. Thursday came and brought along some rain with it, not hard rain but just consistent. Didn't think much of it, and in fact gave me time for a few drinks and relaxation. Then Friday came, started off well enough even made plans with some locals we know to have over for dinner before heading to JJ's later that evening. As the day progressed, so did the rain. And as suspected the power blurp started, and then about 1:00pm...lights out.

At first didn't think much of it, kind of hoping that it only be out temporally. Decided to get in our Suzuki SideKick and tour around to see how many other people were with out power. Made it past Soshi's (?) to the end of the pavement and saw the mud bog developing, then turned around and headed back. Then we started to weigh the scales, it's about 2:30pm. Tried firing up the old generator we used before power was brought to Cholla, it was a no go. We had already run out of fire wood, and the prospects of power being restored anytime soon seemed slim to none. Would've just headed to JJ's early, but had a dog with us that we couldn't just leave at the cabin. So, with the quickest pack-up ever, we hit the road. Wasn't too worried as we had 4 wheel drive, but was towing a trailer with the SXS on it. As disappointing as it was to bug out, was glad we did when we did as the roads were only getting worse. Made to and through an empty border, and was back home well in time for the New Years.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I drove the same time in the opposite direction. Road conditions were pretty bad. Power came back on after I had been home for a couple of hours.

Terry C

Well Known Member
We had 3 inches of rain in Playa Encanto and I would say 50 plus mph winds. It was a brutal storm and our electric was our for about 8 hours. Fired the generator up for light. Never in 22 years have we seen a storm like that. Not my Photo from past Myan Palace. One of two towers down

Attachments

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It was a doozy! I had a lot of things to do before Mermaids Market that all got put off until Friday evening....Saturday was beautiful and the Market was amazing...it surprised us how many people came out! All is good....no........great!

richwi

Well Known Member
We had 3 inches of rain in Playa Encanto and I would say 50 plus mph winds. It was a brutal storm and our electric was our for about 8 hours. Fired the generator up for light. Never in 22 years have we seen a storm like that. Not my Photo from past Myan Palace. One of two towers down
Our electricity was out here in Encanto for almost 3 days. For 1/2 a day we had one phase then the whole meter blew. The electrical supply places were closed until today. That was one heck of a storm for sure!

JayT

It's interesting how the occasional power outage, often exacerbated by bad weather and rain, in Rocky Point can be such an unexpected adventure when you're used to stable, reliable power. For many of us, losing power also means losing water since some of us use electric pumps to maintain water pressure. And, losing power means losing internet service which we're more dependent upon than ever. Cooking plans quickly change to plan B and you have to adapt to losing HVAC, etc. Usually, the only thing left for us is cell service and propane. For me, I enjoy the temporary change a power outage brings to simple, quiet, primitive living...but just for a while. I can imagine how power outages would maroon the growing electric car crowd with their charging dependencies.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
It's interesting how the occasional power outage, often exacerbated by bad weather and rain, in Rocky Point can be such an unexpected adventure when you're used to stable, reliable power. For many of us, losing power also means losing water since some of us use electric pumps to maintain water pressure. And, losing power means losing internet service which we're more dependent upon than ever. Cooking plans quickly change to plan B and you have to adapt to losing HVAC, etc. Usually, the only thing left for us is cell service and propane. For me, I enjoy the temporary change a power outage brings to simple, quiet, primitive living...but just for a while. I can imagine how power outages would maroon the growing electric car crowd with their charging dependencies.
I love the Ford F150 Lightning commercial. They power the house with the truck when the electric goes out in a storm. When it comes back on now you're stuck at home for the next 12 hours waiting for your vehicle to charge???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLLLLLLLL Robbing Peter to pay Paul?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
That's why I bought a quiet 2500w generator to deal with the crappy CFE in Cholla.
In 1 1/2 years we've used it 6X, my wife actually said it was a wise investment after initially thinking it was a stupid idea.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
That's why I bought a quiet 2500w generator to deal with the crappy CFE in Cholla.
In 1 1/2 years we've used it 6X, my wife actually said it was a wise investment after initially thinking it was a stupid idea.
How far behind the US is energy infrastructure in Sonora/RP? It would be funny when eventually there aren't that many gas vehicles on the roads but you can't travel to Mexico because they're 20 years behind on infrastructure and you can't charge your car... Damn, I like that! Rocky Point might go backwards. That would be awesome!

and the generator seems like a no brainer in Mexico because READ ABOVE... lol

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey Joe............

Puerto Penasco IS awesome!

When the power goes out in the winter we have candles for light, propane for cooking and heating up bath water, a huge amount of Mesquite and Palo Fierro wood for the barbie always ready for smoking drinking and bull shitting, then pile on long johns and the blankets at night.

When the power goes out in the summer we throw all our shit back in our air conditioned truck and head for the border.

When the Pemex peters out we have ten full five gallon Jerry cans in our garage then just keep on Jeeping and trucking.

JJ

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Almost every time the CFE power goes off in Cholla, it happens in the middle of the night 1-5AM.
So, When the power is down, I use the generator to run our water pump, refrigerator, a fan and some lights.
It will run a 5000 btu window AC if needed.
Candles, led lights, a propane water heater and stove do the rest.

Terry C

Well Known Member
Brokenwave, same here in Playa Encanto, have a 3000 watt Honda. Was going to sell it but wife said keep it. Only needed to use it twice in several years.

fatboyharley

Well Known Member
so I am not familiar with the using of generators. What has to be modified with the house for the use of one ? I have thought one would be helpful but I am completely ignorant about them.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I do it the easy way, fire up the generator and run an extension cord into the house to run the few things I need.
If the power was going out every other day I would install an isolation switch to run the 110 volt stuff off of it.

fatboyharley

Well Known Member
I do it the easy way, fire up the generator and run an extension cord into the house to run the few things I need.
If the power was going out every other day I would install an isolation switch to run the 110 volt stuff off of it.
the big thing is the water pumpso I can't run an extension cord to that. Who could put in an isolation switch in RP?