Newbie RP questions

Does anyone know the current water temp? Also, where is the Super Ley? (and I am assuming thats a grocery store?) 6 days til Sandy Beach...ooooh yeah!

badfish

Using google maps copy and paste 31° 19' 24.69", -113° 32' 26.28" in and it will pin point the exact building.

Don't know the exact temp, but it was nice!!! It's still a little to cool for some people, but not me.....I was in it in April as well!!! I did some snorkeling and saw the usual fish, but the tide pooling was disappointing. Not much to be seen or found....seems sometimes, the critters are abound and other times, well, like this time....not much. I kayaked from PDO to the point one day and the water was so clear for what seemed like a long way down.....just beautiful!!! So, if you can "stand" water that isn't quite bathwater temp yet, go for it and enjoy!!!!!!

El Gato

Most of the beaches are great for kids (and adults) - very little waves - I've never had a problem with rip tides - warm water - fun tide pools (need old shoes for investigating them as rocks hard on the feet) - tend to have large variance between high and tow tides. When tides high sandy bottom - when low the tide pools are exposed. Kids used to lose a lot of stuff as they would dump it down on the sand close to the water line - forget about it and sure enough the tide would come in and off would go their shoes and towels.

I've seen dolphins off the beach but I've never seen a shark in this close. Maybe someone else has - but wouldn't be normal. Can occasionally have sting rays (shuffle your feet) and sometimes jelly fish - again, since 1948 I've never seen a lot of them but some people have and some have been stung. Like any ocean/sea you have to use common sense and observe what is around you.

A lot of kids/families play in the water and have a wonderful time. I especially like the fact that I don't freeze to death. I hate CA and/or East coast water.

mrchief98

Oh jeeze....it's the ocean. Of course there are sharks. Along with a lot of other beautiful sea life. Now, is it anywhere near the magnitude of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia? Or the area off the coast of northern Cal. known as the 'Blood Triangle'? Not even close. Here's a quote that might ease your nerves regarding sharks - "On average, there are about 65 shark attacks worldwide each year; a handful are fatal. You are more likely to be killed by a dog, snake or in a car collision with a deer. You’re also 30 times more likely to be killed by lightning and three times more likely to drown at the beach than die from a shark attack, according to ISAF". Avoiding the ocean due to a possible shark attack is like avoiding your mailbox for fear of getting hit and killed by the mail truck. Enjoy!

Yeah, we hung out with Jaws at Bird Island recently..............oops, silly me....that was a Whale Shark;)
Sorry, couldn't resist.....seriously, don't worry about it. As mrchief said, they're everywhere, but that far up in the Gulf is a little ways out of their normal grounds. So they're there, just not many I presume. You wouldn't catch me in the water on the west or east coasts, but I don't even think about it when in RP.