No Passport Card, No Problems

1MoKast

Hi Everyone,

I've lurked for a long time and joined recently and figured I'd share my experience crossing back across tonight without the proper docs...

I arrived at the border around 7:20pm, only 3 other cars ahead of me, handed the nice lady my DL and birth cert as well as my wife's and four kids BCs...she just reminded us to get our passport cards before our next trip...in & out in about 5 minutes...no attitude, no lecture, she was smiling the whole time...

I'm going back in mid-feb and will have my passport card for that trip...

Roberto's thread inspired me....

http://www.rockypointtalk.net/showthread.php?t=1457

Thx!

Mark

Jim

Thanks for the post you Lurker. Don't be a stranger now. I have a friend from San Diego who has been coming down to see her boyfreind very frequently. They finally told her to get a passport or she won't be able to enter the USA. I don't beleive it and neither does she. I don't know why she doesn't just get one but I guess we'll see.

The last time I crossed back to the US, I asked the agent about the passport issue, and was told that If someone has a receipt for the passport application and a birth certificate, there would be no problem.

If you read the government web site, they will let you back, but could delay you while checking/verifying your documents if you just have a birth certificate. If you're "legal" they can't refuse you admittance!!!

However, I just don't get people....we've known about the passport requirement for about 2-3 years. "Never do today, what you can put off till tomorrow"!!!:twisted::stir:

1MoKast

The last time I crossed back to the US, I asked the agent about the passport issue, and was told that If someone has a receipt for the passport application and a birth certificate, there would be no problem.

If you read the government web site, they will let you back, but could delay you while checking/verifying your documents if you just have a birth certificate. If you're "legal" they can't refuse you admittance!!!

However, I just don't get people....we've known about the passport requirement for about 2-3 years. "Never do today, what you can put off till tomorrow"!!!:twisted::stir:
Talking with a co-worker this morning, she told me she's crossed three times now without having a passport or passport card and has not had a problem....my own excuse is simple laziness and procrasination...but I'll get the app in next week...

Talking with a co-worker this morning, she told me she's crossed three times now without having a passport or passport card and has not had a problem....my own excuse is simple laziness and procrasination...but I'll get the app in next week...
Glad to see someone is willing to admit their reason....and not try to rationalize, like some have done on the Forum!!:notworthy::notworthy:

Kenny

I guess this means

I guess this means I didn't have to get in the trunk, and get smuggled back into the states?

C

cactusamigo

Forgot my passport one time heading south. There's always a first time to do this with the new requirement, in a rush to pack! No problem coming back. I handed the inspector my driver's license, and sheepishly admitted that I had left my passport at home.

The border inspectors are busy, and don't want to cause themselves unnecessary work, if it can be avoided. They depend a lot on intuition (some confuse this with "racial profiling"). Technically, you have no rights until the inspector determines you are who you claim to be, and are admitted into the country. If you have no passport, you can be sent to secondary inspection to verify your citizenship. rockyptjoe's statement: "If you're "legal" they can't refuse you admittance!!!" is correct, but it is the inspector who determines if you are "legal". This can cause you delays at the border

Outgoing inspection can be a very intimidating experience. It is supposed to target guns and money being transported into Mexico, but some of the questions asked by some of the agents are very intrusive, and have nothing to do with the objective of their inspection. They have no business asking where you are going, how long before you return, what kind of work you do, etc. They do have the authority to ask about guns, ammo, and if you have more than $10,000.

The following responses meet the legal requirement:

Where are you going?: Mexico.
How long are you going to be there?: Until I return.
What is the purpose of your trip?: I don't have to tell you.
What do you do?: You don't have a need to know.
How much money do you have?: Less than $10,000.
Do you have any guns or ammo?: No guns, no ammo.

Except for one occasion, it has taken me more time to clear leaving the country than to return. Strange way to protect the country, especially when we do not have adequate manpower to control what is coming north.

One Border and Customs Protection Agent to be commended is Newman. He is thin, tall, with dark hair. He always has a smile, is pleasant, and has a great disposition. Should you encounter him, be sure to compliment him on his positive, pleasant attitude, and his professionalism.

I have written up two out-of-line agents, one who was subsequently fired (not solely on my complaint). This agent was later reinstated because his management failed to follow the proper procedure, not because he deserved to be fired. Supervisors know who the abusive agents are. Documented complaints give the supervisors the necessary tools to deal with the problem. However, it is especially important to write letters of commendation for agents who are recognized as doing an outstanding job.

Cactusamigo....I ran into one of those pleasant agents the last trip down....he was doing the outgoing inspection....asked the "right" questions, had a smile on his face, and even joked around with me. Should have gotten his name....will the next time I run into him. I will also get the name of the large female "bimbo" who has no personality that also does the outgoing inspection.....:evil:

fasteddy

I've had pretty goof luck with the female agent as I've headed down to RP. she was even making fun of her male colleagues with my wife because they were struggling opening the tailgate. she seemed to have a little sense of humor on that day at least. honestly can't say I've ever had a problem with anyone coming or going.

C

cactusamigo

rockyptjoe - Sounds like Newman's profile. It's good practice to ALWAYS look at the agent's name tag. There are other good guys, most have moved on to other assignments. There is one other excellent agent at Lukeville, whose last name escapes my mind at this time. his first name is "Tim".

fasteddy - Cross the border twice a week for four years and you will eventually encounter a "maverick" agent, or one that is having a bad day, has just had a fight with his wife, or was unwillingly transferred to Lukeville, etc. Most of the time they are OK. It's unfortunate when the good guys quit because of the "bad apples" and corruption. You know what that leaves behind "to protect our border".

don

Well stated Cactus! I too will start writing complimentary letters.

Welcome, "1MOKAST." Love your plate! Memorable, never forget a plate like that. Gotta' say I've saw you drivin' around.

Last edited: