No Pull Over Zone

In light of the carjacking i would love some clarification on this topic and I could not find a previous thread (although i thought it had been discussed).......But on the highway from sonyota to PP aren't there a couple sigs declaring you do not have to pull over???

ReelHard

grouper slayer
i believe but could be wrong. it was told to me that the hassle free zones meant you did not have to pay a toll to drive on that road. if yhat is the sign you would be refering to

C

cactusamigo

The "Hassle-Free Zone" signs have nothing to do with paying tolls.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
The "hassle free zone" has to do with not requiring visas or permits for your vehicle in the state of Sonora...

Roberto

Well Known Member
The "hassle free zone" has to do with not requiring visas or permits for your vehicle in the state of Sonora...
A visa is required if you stay long enough, at least an FMT. It has to do with car permits. Car permits have never been required in Penasco as it is within the Frontier Zone, about 60 miles from the border but in past years they were required outside of that zone. The Aduana stop at Almejas, south of the Mayan used to be the limit without a permit. So for example before this program was started, if you went to Caborca, Hermosillo, San Carlos, Kino you were required to get a car permit. The new extended free zone was created to increase tourism along the Sonoran coast and permits are no longer required along the coast as far as Empalme next to Guaymas. It does not apply to the entire state of Sonora. It applies only to the area west of Rt. 15 to the coast. If you go to Bacanora for example, you will need a car permit. You can go to Hermosillo, San Carlos, Guaymas, Kino, Caborca, visit Jerry in Santo Thomas, all without the 'hassle' of stopping for a car permit.

There is, or was, a link to the Sonoran Tourism dept in the links here on this site, if you want to read all about it.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
A visa is required if you stay long enough, at least an FMT. It has to do with car permits. Car permits have never been required in Penasco as it is within the Frontier Zone, about 60 miles from the border but in past years they were required outside of that zone. The Aduana stop at Almejas, south of the Mayan used to be the limit without a permit. So for example before this program was started, if you went to Caborca, Hermosillo, San Carlos, Kino you were required to get a car permit. The new extended free zone was created to increase tourism along the Sonoran coast and permits are no longer required along the coast as far as Empalme next to Guaymas. It does not apply to the entire state of Sonora. It applies only to the area west of Rt. 15 to the coast. If you go to Bacanora for example, you will need a car permit. You can go to Hermosillo, San Carlos, Guaymas, Kino, Caborca, visit Jerry in Santo Thomas, all without the 'hassle' of stopping for a car permit.

There is, or was, a link to the Sonoran Tourism dept in the links here on this site, if you want to read all about it.
Well EXCUUUUUSE me....I stand corrected.....:notworthy::rofl:

I will note that although a Visa may be required...I believe it's for longer than for something like 3-4 days (I'm sure that someone will correct me), it has never been enforced. I have stayed for almost 2 weeks at a time with no problem (but then again, I have never done anything to get arrested, etc.) for anyone to have to check my "status"! I used to get the visa at Sonoyta years ago....

Last edited:
C

cactusamigo

The Mexican immigration (visa requirement) laws are virtually impossible to enforce, since there is no record of when a foreignor enters Mexico, other than hotel/rental records. Technically, one can enter and stay in the free zone for 72 hours without a visa. If you plan to travel south of Empalme, you will need both a vehicle permit and FMT or better. You will not get past the checkpoint without these. Southern Sonora is quite green and pretty, and worth the trip.