Off the grid living

Mariamaria87

What are the Internet options for semi off the grid living? We want to get away from it all; however, the internet is needed for part-time work/school

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Satellite Internet called Vis Sat, I believe. Star Link in a few years.
You will need a generator/Solar system for long term stays. .

We built in Cholla before electric went in, 2-3 day stays were OK just running a small generator for minimal power needs.
After trying to stay for 7-10 days at a time, we realized more power was necessary to really have comforts like using fans and lights.
After laptops/Internet came about more power is needed.

Finally when power came into Cholla we could run A/C which is necessary in July-mid Oct,
unless you enjoy sleeping with night temps 85-90 with humidity levels at 75-80%. I sure can't sleep with those conditions.

When the ocean temps are 88-90, a cool breeze off the ocean is fiction.

richwi

Well Known Member
The internet satellite company is Viasat. I had it for awhile. It’s relatively expensive. Star link isn’t available here yet.

Old55

Well Known Member
You will roast in the summer… in my area ( Santo Tomas) you get service from a antennesystem.I would suggest looking into renting a house in Ejido Alvaro Obregon 6 miles inland from Santo Tomas …be super cheap and have a beer store with a town full of people that actually tolerate Americans …helpful friendly and kind

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
You will roast in the summer… in my area ( Santo Tomas) you get service from a antennesystem.I would suggest looking into renting a house in Ejido Alvaro Obregon 6 miles inland from Santo Tomas …be super cheap and have a beer store with a town full of people that actually tolerate Americans …helpful friendly and kind
Gives a whole new meaning to sveaty nuts.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
What's the beach access ramp looking like these days down in ST? Still able to get a vehicle down that thing?