Oficial/Ex-Oficial Checkpoint 1 Click North of Barb Dog Rescue

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Those guys pulled me over yesterday North of Barbs.They are quite thorough. Looking for mota and guns. Wanted to know how much money I was carrying. Made me take it out of my wallet and hand it to them. I had to empty my pockets and they patted me down. I refused to speak spanish with them until they let me loose. Not really sure what caused them to scrutinize me. Just me and my dog in the truck. Swarmed me with 6 guys digging thru everything. I don't get rattled by this stuff but I could see how a new visitor would.
Checkpoint or they actually pulled you over while driving? They're aggressive to say the least.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I had the same experience on Tuesday around 2pm coming down. They started asking where I was coming from, where i was going and can you go there for inspection, they reallly wanted me to go under the trees out of the way but played stupid and just parked parallel with the road, very visible.
Thanks to Joe I was aware of this block but now I can really understand his uncomfortable feeling. They kept trying with any excuse to get to make me open the wallet and my wife too, no interest in looking in the car just kept asking if I like drugs or if I had any drugs.
After 10 minutes of that they let us go, here was plenty of other cars lined up.
I don’t know how long this is going to last but I can see it becoming a major annoyance for coming to Rocky Point and new visitor will be not annoyed but terrorized by this if you can call it inspection
Thanks for your report. At least I'm not crazy. Funny thing is, we left on Tuesday morning at 550-6am we were past the bypass bridge and they weren't there yet. We were in the area of Barbs Rescue on Sunday morning going south around 815am and they weren't there. I guess criminals sleep in.

For me it was weird and more than aggressive because they never mentioned drugs or guns or money although obviously I'm smart enough to know that's why they wanted to search. I complied with the request to search but after they searched it was like they were not satisfied and that is when the chance of being taken advantage of was almost palatable.

For comparison, Sunday morning we had to stop for the national guard inspection at the border coming into Mexico. AT NO POINT did ANY PART of me become nervous, scared, worried, have negative feelings, nothing, They did their job and I had none of those feelings. So you'd have to ask yourself WTF is going on at this checkpoint?! And again, comparing those two almost identical scenarios where two official government agencies want/need to check your vehicle/boat I had VASTLY different experiences. Enough to warrant me creating a post to SHARE my experience. I'd definitely like to know more about this agency/checkpoint but at least no reports of anyone being victimized.

Fabrizio

i came back to day at 8am and hoping that they will not be there. I passed Barb’ location and they were not there.10-13 miles after I see again the roadblock, that was the correct location, this time only one car and I could see only 2 police mens. They ask me where I came from and where I was going and told me I could go. They drive a new white pick up with “ POLICIA FEDERAL MINISTERIAL” written on the side. In the back of their black shirts is written “Agencia de investigacion criminal“
Very different encounter with only two officers but I still don’t understand why we need another slow down and what good it does to the city.

2AF7D4D6-6DF8-4C6F-827C-B59ED9EE5D8A.jpeg51CDC4BD-C7CD-428C-BECC-F32095CE63F7.jpeg

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
i came back to day at 8am and hoping that they will not be there. I passed Barb’ location and they were not there.10-13 miles after I see again the roadblock, that was the correct location, this time only one car and I could see only 2 police mens. They ask me where I came from and where I was going and told me I could go. They drive a new white pick up with “ POLICIA FEDERAL MINISTERIAL” written on the side. In the back of their black shirts is written “Agencia de investigacion criminal“
Very different encounter with only two officers but I still don’t understand why we need another slow down and what good it does to the city.

View attachment 17398View attachment 17399
Thank you for your contribution. That is 100% them.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
BUMP!

Well, complete shocker but it was just a matter of time. FIRST REPORT of someone being victimized by this BULLSHIT CHECKPOINT on Facebook Rocky Point Fans and Community. Poster says the cops are only interested in money and are demanding that you pull your money out and they have to count it for you. Almost similar to reports on this thread HOWEVER, in this report the poster says a $50 bill was lifted from their family member while being DETAINED in the HASSLE FREE ZONE.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I think another logical question you'd have to ask is, DF is sending an organized crime unit to sit just N of Penasco with only ONE TRUCK and 4-6 men that barely has any insignia on it, with only grill lights????? I'm going to ask again, is this even a real checkpoint??????

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
When leaving Penasco last week, was stopped by them and asked where going and coming from and had to produce ID. No search and I’d given back.

ernesto

Well Known Member
Anyone know if Penasco has an office for the Federales in town? Maybe a complaint is in order here. Where else have you been stopped in the middle of the road and frisked, twice no less, for breaking no laws?

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
So what species of "law enforcement" were they out of the five or six varieties that prey on travelers in Mexico as they do in every turd world country on earth?

Did they have marked vehicles? Uniforms with badges and name tags?

Barb's is within the Penasco LEO territory. Some details and maybe some photos of their vehicles would be welcomed by the Mayor.

If you guys were really interested to stopping this krap start documenting it. Many of you you have dash cams..use them!

There is nothing like this going on when traveling the Coastal Hwy from San Luis Sonora.

JJ
I have always wondered why the “Mayor” of Penasco and Sonoita do not try to get the authorities to ease up on tourists. I realize everyone in politics & law is being paid off or on the take in some manner in Mexico but when tourism is such a large part of your economy one might consider helping us all to spend our money in their towns rather than harass the hell out of us with 100% corrupt local cops, quasi-national military groups and a bizarre variety of “law enforcement” that seems to focus on tourists and 75 yr old couples heading down to the beach for a weekend-the secondary stop at the border ended my friends parents trips to Mexico forever. Items were stolen from their car, cash stolen from the mom’s purse and way to many guns, bad attitude and suspicion were blanketed over their experience.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I drove back in yesterday. I have never seen so many cops in AZ, including a record four in Ajo. No issues in Mexico yesterday. Truck was full of stuff and I wasn’t stopped. No speed traps in Sonoyto.

Old55

Well Known Member
I have always wondered why the “Mayor” of Penasco and Sonoita do not try to get the authorities to ease up on tourists. I realize everyone in politics & law is being paid off or on the take in some manner in Mexico but when tourism is such a large part of your economy one might consider helping us all to spend our money in their towns rather than harass the hell out of us with 100% corrupt local cops, quasi-national military groups and a bizarre variety of “law enforcement” that seems to focus on tourists and 75 yr old couples heading down to the beach for a weekend-the secondary stop at the border ended my friends parents trips to Mexico forever. Items were stolen from their car, cash stolen from the mom’s purse and way to many guns, bad attitude and suspicion were blanketed over their experience.
If you are black in America you are used to it…https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/31/us/police-ticket-quotas-money-funding.html?referringSource=articleShare

Old55

Well Known Member
A buddy was pulled over and had money for paying construction workers.$3500 dollars was counted out as he watched by two cops.$3500 dollars was notated in a ledger along with his info.The money was returned to him.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Yes, the fines can bury people but……my construction crew guys can afford to drink in a bar, eat out for lunch and spend money on women but often let their auto registration, insurance and traffic tickets wave in the wind. I am constantly talking to them about taking care of their business first but it seems not be their way and then when things go bad they go very bad.

Old55

Well Known Member
Yes, the fines can bury people but……my construction crew guys can afford to drink in a bar, eat out for lunch and spend money on women but often let their auto registration, insurance and traffic tickets wave in the wind. I am constantly talking to them about taking care of their business first but it seems not be their way and then when things go bad they go very bad.
Yep, in South Carolina low country most of the landscape and framing crews are Honduran. They are all about soccer and too much beer…..the cops look the other way on small shit down there as without them nothing gets done….