Oh Happy Day!

Does RP stil have a shrimp season? Heard... or read on this board that shrimping in the waters of RP are long dead. I also heard on this board most of the shrimp found at the fish markets are frozen and brought in from other loactions.

Roberto

Does RP stil have a shrimp season? Heard... or read on this board that shrimping in the waters of RP are long dead. I also heard on this board most of the shrimp found at the fish markets are frozen and brought in from other loactions.
Yes there is a shrimp season and there are restrictions on where they can go. No, shrimping out of Penasco is not dead. The freshest shrimp you can buy anywhere, except right off a panga in the harbor, is usually referred to as 'first frozen' as it is frozen immediately after catching on the boat. The stuff you buy at the fish market that some think of as fresh shrimp has been defrosted but it was frozen.

GV Jack

Snorin God
OK Roberto, you seem to be the vast authority here, or was it half vast, anyway, are you aware of fish that we used to get in California called "Sand Dabs"?
I liken them to good old Lake Erie small yellow perch. Are you aware of any ever being sold in the RP area?

GV Jack

Snorin God
Jerry, Thanks for the info. Obviously larger than Lake Erie Yellow Perch, but none-the-less quite tasty.

Are they available at the Old Port. I'll have to ask next week.

What a great informative site this is.

Roberto

I know about Boston Scrod. A seafood loving friend returned to Boston after a long absence and asked the cabbie on the way in from the airport "Do you know where I can get Scrod in town?" The cabbie looked at him in the rearview mirror and replied "That's the first time I've heard it put in the pluperfect tense"

jerry

Friday Perch fry at the VFW in New Era Michigan 1960 or so...the fried fish were great,funny after the Pabst Blue Ribbon stated taking effect the vets all seemed to have just missed killing Rommel at one time or another
Jerry, Thanks for the info. Obviously larger than Lake Erie Yellow Perch, but none-the-less quite tasty.

Are they available at the Old Port. I'll have to ask next week.

What a great informative site this is.

GV Jack

Snorin God
There's a little igloo place on the lake in Port Clinton called Jolly Rogers. Best Perch Sandwich anywhere in the world.

Try it. If you don't agree I'll pay for it. The breading is wonderful is joined with the onion rings.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
OK Roberto, you seem to be the vast authority here, or was it half vast, anyway, are you aware of fish that we used to get in California called "Sand Dabs"?
I liken them to good old Lake Erie small yellow perch. Are you aware of any ever being sold in the RP area?
I am not sure of fish names or their translation to spanish however "Capulinas" has a very nice variety of fish and seafood in their store located in the south east corner of Calle 12 de Octubre and Vicente Guerrero.
The easiest way to get there is going north in Ave. Sinaloa past the railroad tracks in the corner of "Rocky" chinese restaurant take a right and go until the street offset a little and there you will find it.