Pablo the Puffer fish.

B

bahiatrader

Great video Kenny. I brought some puffer fish into Puerto Peñasco from fishing a few years back. I had heard they were poisonous unless taken care of properly. A local filleted them for me, saying they tasted just like chicken. Maybe a marine chicken, but not like anything I ever got from KFC. It was OK.
The video demonstrates something I've known about fish for a long time. Fish are experimental feeders. They often put anything in their mouths whether it resembles feed or not. If they don't like it, they just spit it out. They usually don't have anyone to teach them. Maybe that's how they learn to feed or how they feed all the time. There ain't a lot of room for storage in those little brains.

Kenny

If you look closely, he taps the clam on the side of the tank to give Pablo the heads up. :D . You can see the clams dropping to the bottom of the tank after the initial feeding of Shrimp. Pablo is crushing and eating clams like they were peanuts.. The other fish know his routine and gather round to get the small stuff when he spits out the crushed shell. It looks like he just eats some of the smaller ones, shells and all. Do you think he has a gizzard. :shock: :lol:
The guy that I've bought bait from for years insisted on giving me some "Chickenfish" to try. I took it so as not to offend him, but I didn't eat it... I guess you could call me chicken sh :lol:

Kenny

B

bahiatrader

Are dirty tricks like that allowed and/or sanctioned on this forum? :lol:

Kelney

Speaking of puffer fish. While working to catch bait on my last outing, my bait tank made a choking sound and stopped pumping water. I was afraid my pump went out. When I got home I decided to trace my water intake and found this in an elbow fitting before the pump.

This is what it looks like after it was removed. The pump kind of skinnied him up some.

Apparently this little fella was minding his own business hanging out near the surface when he swam near my thru put and got sucked up.