Palm Tree & Termites

Kiter

Can anyone help me out with a place to get a 6 to 8 foot tall Mexican fan palm and have it installed? I talked to a guy in Playa Encanto that just had a ton of nice palms planted, but I'm hoping to get one this coming Saturday.

Also, I've got termites. Any recommendations for an exterminator?

Thanks for the help.

Can anyone help me out with a place to get a 6 to 8 foot tall Mexican fan palm and have it installed? I talked to a guy in Playa Encanto that just had a ton of nice palms planted, but I'm hoping to get one this coming Saturday.

Also, I've got termites. Any recommendations for an exterminator?

Thanks for the help.
Good luck with the palm trees. There's a recent thread about coconut palms here.

I just got a quote from a company this company in RP. He seemed very good during his inspection, paid attention to places I hadn't looked.
They give you a 3 year warranty with re-inspections every 12 months. My quote was for $550, I have termites in 1/3 of my wood patio roof 800sf.
So I wouldn't call this is a recommendation, but he can't be worse than the guy who did it 4 years ago. But I will try him next trip down.
I don't know if you ever get rid of termites in RP.

ScreenShot_20170325150758.png ScreenShot_20170325150758.png

mondone

Whitecaps
I don't think you can ever totally eradicate termites in RP, they are the swarming type, not subterranean. A few years ago I has a really bad infestation in the rafters, enough for my roof to start to cave in. I was referred to Tirso at Clin and although I needed one follow-up treatment under warranty, so far termite evidence has seemingly been rather minimal.

CLIN Fumigaciones
ECHAVARRI SERRANO TIRSO JULIAN
CDA DEL MAR 606, LUIS DONALDO COLOSIO , PUERTO PEÑASCO , SON , C.P.83553
(638) 102 0403

Kiter

Good luck with the palm trees. There's a recent thread about coconut palms here.

I just got a quote from a company this company in RP. He seemed very good during his inspection, paid attention to places I hadn't looked.
They give you a 3 year warranty with re-inspections every 12 months. My quote was for $550, I have termites in 1/3 of my wood patio roof 800sf.
So I wouldn't call this is a recommendation, but he can't be worse than the guy who did it 4 years ago. But I will try him next trip down.

View attachment 8895 View attachment 8895
Brokenwave - thanks for the reply. Ouch, $550 seems a bit extreme. I was expecting $200 tops. Mondone also sent me a recommendation, I guess I'll call them both. I've just got to get rid of those little pests before I have major problems.

Kiter

I don't think you can ever totally eradicate termites in RP, they are the swarming type, not subterranean. A few years ago I has a really bad infestation in the rafters, enough for my roof to start to cave in. I was referred to Tirso at Clin and although I needed one follow-up treatment under warranty, so far termite evidence has seemingly been rather minimal.

CLIN Fumigaciones
ECHAVARRI SERRANO TIRSO JULIAN
CDA DEL MAR 606, LUIS DONALDO COLOSIO , PUERTO PEÑASCO , SON , C.P.83553
(638) 102 0403
Mondone - thanks for the reply. I will give them a call.

Kiter

View attachment 8895 View attachment 8895
Brokenwave - I did see the coconut palm thread. Coconot palms are quite tropical and belong 200 miles south of us. The Mexican fan palm is accustomed to our heat and arid conditions. Salt - may be a different story.

Close to the water it's tough to get them to survive, further away less problem, for termite treatment I paid $400 4 years ago which I thought was expensive, but I wanted termites gone, it was fine for 2 years and could never get the company back for retreatment, so I'm going to try again

Hey Kite................

Actually the California Fan palm is your best choice. It is a native to super saline conditions such as the alkaline seeps and springs along the San Andreas Fault in the Coachella Valley and the seeps in the Borrego Springs area in Southern California. It grows quite happily in the big salina on the way to El Golfo where fresh water pozos erupt on the salt pan. The Mexican Fan Palm and California Fan Palm are easy to tell apart. The Mexican type can grow tall (over 100') and skinny, the California type has a thick trunk and normally gets only forty feet at most. The leaves of the California type are huge when compared to the Mexican type and the California type has long threadlike filaments drooping from the leaf tips hence it's name Washingtonia filifera. The Mexican type naturally sheds it's leaves and has a bare trunk as opposed to the California type that retains the leaves to form a skirt of dead leaves that insulate the trunk from our desert heat. It's difficult to tell which one is which when they are small in a pot but once they are four or five feet tall it's easy, just look at the leaves.

You will see the Mexican variety planted along the Malecon and around the developments that are sickly and barely hanging on because of their intolerance to the salty ground and salt spray from the sea. If they had planted the California variety they would be healthy and robust in our conditions.

JJ

MIRAMAR

We have a house on the beach and have several Mexican fan palms (skinnier variety) on the street side of the house (not beach side). They are growing fine, but slower than in Tucson.

Kiter

Hey Kite................

Actually the California Fan palm is your best choice. It is a native to super saline conditions such as the alkaline seeps and springs along the San Andreas Fault in the Coachella Valley and the seeps in the Borrego Springs area in Southern California. It grows quite happily in the big salina on the way to El Golfo where fresh water pozos erupt on the salt pan. The Mexican Fan Palm and California Fan Palm are easy to tell apart. The Mexican type can grow tall (over 100') and skinny, the California type has a thick trunk and normally gets only forty feet at most. The leaves of the California type are huge when compared to the Mexican type and the California type has long threadlike filaments drooping from the leaf tips hence it's name Washingtonia filifera. The Mexican type naturally sheds it's leaves and has a bare trunk as opposed to the California type that retains the leaves to form a skirt of dead leaves that insulate the trunk from our desert heat. It's difficult to tell which one is which when they are small in a pot but once they are four or five feet tall it's easy, just look at the leaves.

You will see the Mexican variety planted along the Malecon and around the developments that are sickly and barely hanging on because of their intolerance to the salty ground and salt spray from the sea. If they had planted the California variety they would be healthy and robust in our conditions.

JJ
JJ - Thank you very much for this info. Now, just to find out where to buy in town.