Passing border with Enhanced Driver License

Lina

My friend is coming down from WA state and plans on using her EDL to go to Rocky Point. I'm not worried about getting back into the US but I'm wondering if she will have problems getting into Mexico with just her EDL.

mis2810

Well Known Member
You won't be asked for identification when crossing into Mexico. If you are it's because you got the red light at customs and if they do ask it is normally only for the driver.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
My friend is coming down from WA state and plans on using her EDL to go to Rocky Point. I'm not worried about getting back into the US but I'm wondering if she will have problems getting into Mexico with just her EDL.

If you get the red light it's because they want to check your VIN # on the vehicle. They do not need to see drivers license or proof of insurance. When I get the red light I immediately hand them my vehicle registration card. Surprised that I know what they want they simply look at the VIN # real quick and then usually dont even ask another question. Smooth criminal. I snuck dog food across last time down for fishing chum... #savage

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
They always want to see a passport that matches the name on the boat and boat trailer registration.

I don't think they have ever wanted to see anything related to my truck.

JJ

Ryan H.

Landing Mat
I thought you had to have a passport to come back in, thought it was changed a few years ago, am I wrong, only a DL now?

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
Since 09 you are supposed to have a passport but I & many people I know have misplaced my passport and had to cross, you absolutely must have a U.S. Issued I.d. And proof of citizenship , if you don't have those they detain you until they figure it out, which is something no one wants to go through but indeed is necessary. Some of the border patrol agents have told me that if you have the 2 documents I did and nothing to hide (warrants, etc.) they are going to let you through but if everyone did what they were supposed to it would be much faster & easier on all. (Btw I didn't want to cross not having my passport but had a surgery check up that day so it was something I couldn't miss) long story why I couldn't find it but I have kids if that tells you something.

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
Answer #1 (easy answer): A U.S. Citizen cannot be denied re-entry into the United States
Answer #2 (hard answer): While Answer #1 is technically true, re-entry becomes much more painful based on what type of ID you do or don't have. Passport book/card or Enhanced License will get you in no problem. Birth Certificate + Driver License will get you in, but may or may not delay the process, depending on the agent and/or other factors.

I was in line on foot behind a guy in Nogales last year who had driver's license only (i.e. didn't even have Birth Certificate) and he said to the agent "I am a U.S. Citizen and you cannot deny me entry to the country". He was so brazen and loud that they just let him through since I assume they didn't want the headaches. But they can and do go through the whole secondary revision drill where you're there for 2 hours getting photoed/fingerprinted, etc.

I crossed back through Lukeville a few weeks ago and we have 4 passport cards, including one for my 6 month old. When I pulled up to the booth, the agent said "Thank you! Why can't everyone just get these cards?" (The guy in front of me had handed him a manila folder with birth certificates and God knows what other documents) He said that it very difficult to verify someone's identity with a regular photo ID and birth certificate. Then he said that very shortly they are hoping to fine anyone that does not have a passport or enhanced license. Sure enough, I googled it and CBP is pushing Washington to allow them to start fining people without the right docs:

https://passportinfo.com/new-passport-fines-on-us-border-crossing/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/04/22/citizens-no-passport-border-face-fines/83405410/

marybna

Well Known Member
I had to renew my passport. I was told it could be up to 8 weeks before I got a new one. Yesterday it came in the mail. Less than 2 weeks. I could not believe I go it that fast.

marybna

Well Known Member
I had to renew my passport. The website said up to 8 weeks. Took it to PO and they said probably not that long.. 2 weeks to the day I mailed it and I got my new passport back. Wow that was great.