Passport card

VonDog

El Pescador
Just got back from RP and went through the border in record time! Got a new passport card when I renewed my regular passport just for driving to RP and San Carlos. No Wait At All!!! I couldn't believe it. Our friends spent at least 20 mins in line and we were directed to an open lane due to the card and zipped right through. Best $30.00 I've spent in a long time.

Roberto

:lol::lol:That happened becaust they were tracking you all the way from the other side of Sonoita and had their complete investigation of you done by the time you got to the border.:lol::lol:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I don't doubt it. The first time I got to the border agent and was rolling my window down and he said, "Good afternoon Miss Ainsworth, how was your trip down this time?", I nearly swallowed my teeth!:aagh:

garyd

Got to the border around 4pm and there were two lines. An agent asked us if we had a card or passport and directed to the passport line.

I think when they are asking wither its a card or passport...I think they are referring to the Sentri Card and not the Passport Card. The Passport Card is suppose to be no different then a regular passport when crossing by land.

mondone

Whitecaps
We went through about 6:15PM last night. The reason they were asking about the passport card is that if you have the card, or any acceptable card that has the RFID-enabled WHTI-compliant feature that can be read electrionically, and not a passport book, you will be able to use the new "fast" Ready Lane which will be Lane #1. Now that pertains to vehicles in which ALL occupants have a card. If anyone has only a passport book, that vehicle cannot use the Ready Lane.

I think when they are asking wither its a card or passport...I think they are referring to the Sentri Card and not the Passport Card. The Passport Card is suppose to be no different then a regular passport when crossing by land.

can you still cross if you have applied for a passport or passport car and have the receipt but not actual passport or card. You used to be able to but was just told at office that it is not allowed anymore. However, I read that some of you get back with only DL and BC...

I can only see a time savings of about 10 mins with the Passport Card. It is not going to move traffic any faster on the Mexico side leading up to the border crossing.

Terace

Thank you for all this great information! All these cards/chips are so confusing!! We have been debating it for a while now & I am still wavering as to whether we should get the card or not. We go down to RP at least every month & because my husband doesn't get many vacation days, we end up leaving RP at 5am to hit the border when it opens at 6 so that he can be on the job (on his cell) right on time. If the card can facilitate the border process & save him from having to use up a vacation day, it does seem like $60.00 well spent!!

Hooch

Haha I stll cross twice a month with my birth cert and drivers license, they never even hassle me anymore

AZJD

Haha I stll cross twice a month with my birth cert and drivers license, they never even hassle me anymore

Every time I go there, at least 1 or 2 people traveling with me do not have passports. Never a problem getting back into AZ.

mondone

Whitecaps
Every time I go there, at least 1 or 2 people traveling with me do not have passports. Never a problem getting back into AZ.
May be the case, but technically speaking everyone entering into Mexico needs a passport. In the good old days you didn't need a passport to travel into Mexico's Free Zone. Things have changed. As of 2008, everyone needs to have a valid passport to enter into Mexico, but you won't need a FMT (visa) to enter into the Free Zone. Now, I know this is infrequently checked for, but I do know some individuals who were denied entrance into Mexico without a passport.