Passport for 18 year olds????

mikef

We are going to drive down from Arizona through Lukeville to Puerto Pensaco in three weeks. It's a family trip and we all have passports. Except my two nephews. They recently turned 18. Do they really need a passport or will a birth certificate work to drive back across the border? I forgot they turned 18. I don't think we have time to get a passport. Thank you.

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
We are going to drive down from Arizona through Lukeville to Puerto Pensaco in three weeks. It's a family trip and we all have passports. Except my two nephews. They recently turned 18. Do they really need a passport or will a birth certificate work to drive back across the border? I forgot they turned 18. I don't think we have time to get a passport. Thank you.
We went down a few times in the past with no passport for my 19 year son , had all the other stuff, birth certificate, I.d. Etc. , it’s a good idea to at least apply for the passport or passport card so you have the application proof . You would need a another birth certificate since they take it and mail it back a few weeks later but if these boys are planning on going more it is well worth it , if it’s a one time thing , I’m pretty sure it will be fine but I know they are cracking down more and more and were getting very irritated with people not having the proper things. We finally got everyone passports and it’s so nice having everything we are are supposed to and don’t need to sit and explain and beg. Good luck and have fun

rplarry

Well Known Member
You are fine with a birth certificate and if they are 18, it would also be helpful to have a drivers license.

Bottom line, don’t stress it. We have had kids, friends, family come back dozens of times without passports.

They prefer passports, but will ALWAYS let you back in if you can show proof you are an American.