passport question

joester

2 salty dawgs
our passpports are to expire feb 15.
we want to come down over Presidents day,
will a copy of our old passports (we need to send the current ones in with our renewal)
and copies of the new application forms be sufficient to come back thru to Arizona?
or -
do we just bite the bullet and pay the extra $$ for expedited passport renewal (it's $60/ea).
thoughts?
thanks - looking forward to seeing y'all next month!
Joe and Teri

joester

2 salty dawgs
thanks, we hope to have it by then, but it's cutting real close.
thinking about just doing the expedite....

if it is in computer & have paper work, you are fine. We paid thru our nose to have it expedited and then we had someone cross with passport in works and it was fine....so we wasted so much money on the expedited. If you were flying international, that would be different.

Joester....send in your renewals now....you should have the new passports by Feb. 15......you'll lose a couple of weeks on the 10 years (life of passport). I asked about making a copy....was told at the border that it was against the law???? Haven't had a chance to check the website to verify what the agent told me.

Since I'll be renewing by mail, I won't have a receipt. Mine expires next week....so will be sending it in after I return this weekend....will let everyone know after the next trip, which I expect will be before I get the new passport in the mail.

As someone indicated, the info that you're renewing should be in the computer (the website said between 5-7 days after they receive it).

Last edited:

joester

2 salty dawgs
thanks again for the replies -
I know this topic has been beat to death often, as I read other questions regarding crossing the border w/out a passport.
due to an unexplainable sense of worry, I'm sending the passport renewal today via overnight express delivery, with delivery confirmation requested. I scanned our passports into our home computer, and if we fail to receive our new passports + cards by Feb 17, we'll take those copies of the old, with the copies of the new application forms with us.
would love to get out to the reefs for some fishing if the timing is right, have never caught a grouper of any type.
would this be too early still for grouper?
anyways - hope to see some of you folks that weekend, we'll be at PDO again.
Joe and Teri

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Rocky Point Joe,
Telcel made a copy of my passport when I got my Mexican cell. Something about the cartels...But that is Mexico, prbably not illegal there. They didn'yt make a copy of yours?

Rocky Point Joe,
Telcel made a copy of my passport when I got my Mexican cell. Something about the cartels...But that is Mexico, prbably not illegal there. They didn'yt make a copy of yours?
The Penasco bank has made copies when I went to exchange dollars to pesos.....I was talking about US laws.....

Just looked inside my passport:

4. Your Passport: Make sure you have a signed, valid passport, and foreign entry visas, if required. Make two photocopies of your passport ID page. Leave one at home, with family/friends. Carry the other wtih you in a place separate from your passport.

So, I guess the customs agent at Lukeville knew what he was talking about.....NOT!!!!

Last edited:

joester

2 salty dawgs
receipt?

The first few trips we got thru with D.L. and reciept from passport office.. No hassles...

where do you get a "reciept from passport office"?
didn't see anywhere in Az to go in person.
sent ours off this morning via overnight express mail with delivery confirmation.
I'll post once we receive them.
thanks again everyone!

sent ours off this morning via overnight express mail with delivery confirmation.
thanks again everyone!
Joe....most post offices are acting as passport offices....there's where I went for a first time passport for my daughter. If you're mailing it in for a renewal, I guess you won't have any kind of a receipt. From what the passport web page indicated, approx. 5-7 days after they get your application (new or renewal) you can check online for where the app stands.

joester

2 salty dawgs
thanks again to everyone

if I had half a brain left, we knew when we were down over Thanksgiving that these were going to expire, and told ourselves to send them in soon after we got home.
sure enough, time and the holidays rolled on thru, and here we are approaching the end of January, and didn't ring the bell until we started talking about coming down over Presidents day. Doh!
lesson learned for now, and I hope some of you others heed the warning bells!
I'm sure in 10 years I'll be forgetful again.....

thanks again everyone!
If you do your Passport application or renewal at a US Post Office, you will get a receipt.

joester

2 salty dawgs
ok -
we have received our new passports within 2 weeks of sending expedited, which makee us feel that the extra 60/ea was worth it to remove the worry.
the info coming with the new passports says this: the new passport will come separate from the new card, and also separate from receiving our old passports back. so far we have both new passports, and my old passport (now shredded). we now expect to have our new cards in hand within 2 weeks before our departure to Playa de Oro on the 18th (full moon, btw).
here's to the weather warming up gradually.
see you in 2 weeks :)