PDO WiFi

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Doubtful, Internet in the Penasco area is mostly provided by Telmex, 8-10 Mbps at best, more likely 1-3Mbps.
At PDO when they fill up, everyone is using it so it will be slow.
Penasco's Internet service is like many rural areas in the US, much slower than in cities.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Son who is an EE told me you cannot INCREASE the signal that comes to you. The so called boosters do help spread the signal but do not increase the speed. So if say you got a choppy signal in the bedroom and plugged in one of the boosters you would prolly get a better signal but no stronger than at the modem. Most use the wiring in the house as an antenna.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
My internet has always been fine with TelMex.....
I have one neighbor in Cholla who gets 5-7 Mbps and another literally 100 feet away on the same wire feed and closer
to the Telmex box who get's 1-1.5 Mbps.
Trying to stream at anything below 3 Mbps is only OK at best.
I'm on the dish based service Aron Brown is running in Cholla and I am getting 5-7 Mbps and streaming is OK with some buffering.
Telmex isn't an option in Cholla now for new customers ( I was told that last year at the Telmex office)

Russ since you live in town much closer to Telmex have you ever tested your Internet speed? I'm curious about the speeds in town. Thx

Last edited:

Hobie Vern

Well Known Member
Thanks for the input. Spoke to a coworker, who is kind of a techie, and he told me the same thing. Oh well, guess we'll just have to suck it up! Thanks again.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Son who is an EE told me you cannot INCREASE the signal that comes to you. The so called boosters do help spread the signal but do not increase the speed. So if say you got a choppy signal in the bedroom and plugged in one of the boosters you would probably get a better signal but no stronger than at the modem. Most use the wiring in the house as an antenna.
I hooked up an router ( Wavelink 1200ac $30 on Amazon) to the cheap modem/router that was installed for my service and it actually
bumped my speed up 1 Mbps (WhooHoo).

But, mainly it increased the range and quality of my Wi-Fi to cover an area 75-85ft away from my router with the same speed as in my house.
You can set-up many newer routers as a Wi-Fi bridge or extender to amplify the signal.
We will also tether off our T-Mobile US cell service as a hotspot when Telmex's service really slows down, we get 20-40Mbps when
we're roaming on Telcel's network with TM.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I have one neighbor in Cholla who gets 5-7 Mbps and another literally 100 feet away on the same wire feed and closer
to the Telmex box who get's 1-1.5 Mbps.
Trying to stream at anything below 3 Mbps is only OK at best.
I'm on the dish based service Aron Brown is running in Cholla and I am getting 5-7 Mbps and streaming is OK with some buffering.
Telmex isn't an option in Cholla now for new customers ( I was told that last year at the Telmex office)

Russ since you live in town much closer to Telmex have you ever tested your Internet speed? I'm curious about the speeds in town. Thx
Hola, I have never tested my speed but Naomi and I watch nothing but Internet TV like Youtube and Netflix.....it never buffers, it is smooth and with the exceptions of storms we have never had service ----well there was a month I forgot pay my 399 peso bill and we were cut for a day....