pedal Kayaks...a good review

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
OVERRATED. I will say, HOBIE KAYAKS are extremely nice but you dont need the mirage drive system. Go on google and do a search for KAYAK FISHING FORUMS and you'll notice that none of these guys use that pedal drive system. Its heavier and takes up too much room in the cockpit. All the guys out in San Diego use one of 4 or 5 brands: Malibu, Ocean Kayak, Cobra, Wilderness Systems, Hobie. Now there is a trend in the electric trolling motor department... Id rather have all the gadgets like FF/GPS and a live bait tank than the pedal drive system.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Nope, I found a used Cobra Explorer that I think Im going to buy on Friday. Its an older model but still an excellent yak. The explorer model became the Fish n Dive model I believe.

Here is the Explorer. http://www.allkayakfishing.com/rigged/explorer.html

Here is the Fish n Dive http://www.hookupsportfishing.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/23272-fs-cobra-fish-n-dive-n-trailer.html

The person wants $350, I think I can get it for $300 but I need to buy a seat which run $50-$100, a couple of flush mount rod holders, rod leashes, fish finder/gps and a live bait tank. I think I can have everything ready and hooked up by March which will be perfect in timing with the spring corvina season!!!! Definitely want to test it out down in ST or Lobos...

Roberto

Yessir, get a wine cooler, onboard surround sound and WIFI and a blender to mix Margs, you'd have yourself something there?!! Keep it simple ya know !!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Definitely going with music and a cooler as well Roberto. I just dont drink wine or have the need for a blender :)

Roberto

Very interesting design. Do you think that would be stable out in the Sea? It won't tip I guess but it sure rocked in the wake of that boat and you need two hands to cast.

Kenny

Will it be burning methanol??
Not exactly groundbreaking, but there is some drawbacks to regular use.
"Pre-WWII outboard racing was limited to a relatively small number of enthusiasts using highly modified OMC opposed to two and four cylinder engines running on methanol, castor oil, acetone and benzol instead of pump gasoline. It was in 1947 when the green “Lightening,” “Hurricane,” and “Thunderbolt” Mercury motors ushered in the era of stock outboard racing. The ranks of racers soared as general public could purchase an essentially race-ready motor at their local dealership".

what is the best type of kayak for the ocean? Im really liking the Ascend 12fit sit on top pro angler on BassPro.com
pair that beast with cooler and some tunes and im gone for hours.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
what is the best type of kayak for the ocean? Im really liking the Ascend 12fit sit on top pro angler on BassPro.com
pair that beast with cooler and some tunes and im gone for hours.

Ive checked that model out and it looks pretty decent. I dont know anything about Ascend kayaks but really what it comes down to is weight and what you're getting for the money. http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-SitOnTop-Angler-Kayak-Olive/product/61401647/212177 You're getting 2 flush mount rod holders and a scotty rod holder up front with one large bow hatch which is nice for storage and other crap. Looks like a comfortable seat and a nice large stern well for other gear/crap. Center console to mount electronics and cut bait. Overall the kayak looks pretty decent for the money, at $500 you're not going to get all that in any other kayak. I think the weight of that yak is the only downside at 60lbs. The hull shape is a little cheesy too but it looks like there are good reviews. All in all its pry a decent yak. I just know that if you search for kayak fishing topics on the internet, all of these yak fishermen use one of 5 brands: Malibu, Ocean Kayak, Cobra, Wilderness Systems, Hobie. IMO, if Im going to spend that much money Im going to buy something that everyone else is using because I know it is tried and tested. Pry take this with a grain of salt but I havent seen many if not one Ascend kayak on these kayak fishing forums.... Going back to your original question about which type is the best for the ocean. The general rule is, longer the better. For me personally Im looking at yaks in the 9 to 10 ft range, keeping the weight under 50lbs. The 12 to 15 ft kayaks are supposed to handle the best in the ocean and produce more speed. I think it all comes down to personal preference. I dont intend on paddling really long distances and weight is a huge factor for me. The Malibu Mini X and the Cobra Explorer are both 9ft and weigh approximately 45lbs. The 9 to 10ft yak will fit nicely in my truck and will be easier for me to load and unload. Like you said though brother, a cooler is a must with tunes playing I can be out there for 5 or 6 hours fishing and having a blast.

I was thinking 12 ft was too much and peoples reviews said the weight was a bit much as well. We have 2 old crappy ones in the condo and i just bring down a paddle when i head down. Those kayake are heavy too and the seats are awful. No paddle straps or leashes so always worried about losing the paddle even though it floats. i find being out on the kayak to be a lot of work just keeping myself in the same direction trying to work a lure. just need more experience i guess and maybe an anchor! I was checking out those Malibu yaks as well and i like the size a whole lot better seems like i could control it easier but less room for cargo and beer. the Asced looks like great yak to mod with accessories like you mentioned. almost want to just by a junk aluminum boat.