Pelican Observations

Roberto

Roberto, you REAALLY need to get a girlfriend! :)

Just kidding! I thought I was the only one obsessed with these flight patterns while on the beach. They're fascinating to watch and just about my favorite way to zone out while staring out at the ocean...But yeah, I never think to research it when I get home. Thanks for the post!
There are always things to entertain oneself, but it seems that the entertainment required by humans must have a high sensory input to be called entertainment. TV, movies, radio, loud and raucous. People have not learned to entertain themselves with simple things. Read or re read Walden Pond.

Personally I do not understand the increading trend of violence, blood and gore that has occured in the Movies and TV over the years. In my life, I have seen and experienced enought terrifying things first hand, I don't need vicarious terror.
Why in the world would I want to PAY someone to terrify me when I get that for free !!

I also observe the ants crawling on the bougainville outside my bathroom window, but they don't do much other that march ahead in a continuous stream, up and down the vine.

Back in the mid 90's there was something that killed off a lot of pelicans.....all along sandy beach....it was sad to see the birds just sitting there waiting to die....in the summer sun....we even tried to give them some water...but no go....

One evening I observed a lone pelican roosting on my roof, with a length of what appeared to be fishing monofilament hanging from its beak. Apparently, it had ingested something harmful. I obtained a ladder, and it allowed me to approach closely, but ultimately flew away. I was quite sad, and frequently wonder about the fate of this bird.

Roberto

Watching the pelicans dive at the Malecon yesterday. One thing I had not noticed before is that after diving and capturing a fish and while the little pesky moocher birds hover close to the pelican's beak (bill?), the pelican makes a very rapid turn around, spin, in the water immediately, turing its back on the moochers, before putting it's beak up, opening a bit and swallowing the fish. Seemed clearly a learned response to protect their catch from the pesky moocher birds.

MIRAMAR

Did you notice the "teenager" pelicans flying behind the larger pelicans this past weekend? There must be a lot of fish out there w/ all the pelican activity.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Roberto, finally noticed the longer side on the V formation, thanks goodness for the beer and the full moon!!!!!

GV Jack

Snorin God
P1010012 (2).jpg

Last evening as I was enjoying an adult beverage on the patio, I noticed a great number of pelicans feeding. If you look closely at the picture
you will see some of them just below the sunset.

I also noticed what Roberto called a huge number of moocher birds hanging around. This led me to wonder:
Why are there many more moochers than workers? The worker birds fly up, dive into the water and catch their dinner.
The moochers fly right in and try to take the bounty from the hard workers.
Why do the worker birds try to keep their bounty from the non-worker birds? Obviously they don't understand the new bird order.
Where have I seen this before?