Permanent residency visa

Any one gone through the process of obtaining a permanent residency visa in Penasco recently? I have already been to the Mexican consulate and received the stamp in my passport. I now need to go to the immigration office in Penasco to complete the process. Any idea how long after the initial appointment to get the card? Would you recommend using an immigration service, how much do they charge?
Thanks for any info.

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
Just had a family member do it here and we used Gabrielle Smith (602-910-9442) to help with paperwork. Just had to get in line early morning before INM opens at 9am as they hand out tickets and only so many for that day. Card was ready for pick up in a couple of days. Some get it same day.

joanC

Well Known Member
I suggest you do a bit of due diligence before you rush into permanent residency status, especially if you can do your business/have your fun here without one. The status essentially gives you a SSN/SIN in Mexico, and provides the MXCN Feds your complete foreign information. If Mx decides to become the 3rd country in the world ( USA and Eritrea) to tax based on residency as well as citizenship, or decides to tax residents on their world income earned outside Mx (common worldwide), having chosen MX residency will become a mala idea. It gets a bit hairier if your Bank trust names progeny who are not residents.

I could tell you more, but I'd have to charge you in tamales!

Thank you for the information. Would you recommend using an immigration service? The person at the consulate seemed to imply the hard part was over with and just needed to give my passport/visa to INM and wait to get the completed card back. The items JoanC listed should not be a concern for reasons I would not state in an open forum. Appreciate it though.

richwi

Well Known Member
I suggest you do a bit of due diligence before you rush into permanent residency status, especially if you can do your business/have your fun here without one. The status essentially gives you a SSN/SIN in Mexico, and provides the MXCN Feds your complete foreign information. If Mx decides to become the 3rd country in the world ( USA and Eritrea) to tax based on residency as well as citizenship, or decides to tax residents on their world income earned outside Mx (common worldwide), having chosen MX residency will become a mala idea. It gets a bit hairier if your Bank trust names progeny who are not residents.

I could tell you more, but I'd have to charge you in tamales!
Just as an FYI. The US is one of only two countries in the world that tax personal foreign income.

joanC

Well Known Member
Just as an FYI. The US is one of only two countries in the world that tax personal foreign income.
This is not exactly correct, R.

Heavily simplified:

Most countries tax all your income, regardless of its source being domestic or foreign, if you are resident. Tax treaties usually ensure you don't pay double tax.

When you give up residency you will ditch the obligation to pay tax on foreign income, but likely retain the duty to pay some tax on income still coming to you from that country. Think rental house income, stock dividends, etc.

The US and Eritrea go one step farther: they tax your entire world income whether you are resident or not. The test is if you are an American or Eritrean "person". This affects many people who were born in US or ER but aside from place of birth have never lived in US. It's common with Mexicans and Canadians. Being born in US or ER makes them a "person" of US or ER for life, save if you renounce citizenship in US or ER.

I've saved the best for last: the US started rules many years ago, which are being enhanced almost every year, to force certain snowbirds to start paying tax in US on their world income, even if they've only ever been a motorhome visitor in US. I'd run out of ink explaining, so just google "closer connection" and substantial presence".

DrG Residency

Thank you for the information. Would you recommend using an immigration service? The person at the consulate seemed to imply the hard part was over with and just needed to give my passport/visa to INM and wait to get the completed card back. The items JoanC listed should not be a concern for reasons I would not state in an open forum. Appreciate it though.
It depends on your level of Spanish and your level of tolerance for Mexican Bureaucracy. My agency gets your appointment, does your paperwork and assists you with the presentation of the files.

DrG Residency

Just had a family member do it here and we used Gabrielle Smith (602-910-9442) to help with paperwork. Just had to get in line early morning before INM opens at 9am as they hand out tickets and only so many for that day. Card was ready for pick up in a couple of days. Some get it same day.
Thank you for the referral!