Permanent Resident Card?

So I finally got my permanent resident card. What is it used for besides getting my Bank Trust's? Does it help me at the border importing items? Do I get get discounts on Mexican Moonshine?

Roberto

I know you cannot own or drive a US registered vehicle in Mexico. You don't need one for a Bank Trust. Not sure why you would want one, unless you want to become a citizen.

For one thing you get 200 bucks off your tax bill for bringing items into Mexico. And another you don't ever have to worry about getting another visa.
DD

garyd

I know you cannot own or drive a US registered vehicle in Mexico. You don't need one for a Bank Trust. Not sure why you would want one, unless you want to become a citizen.
I know that applies in Cabo but what about the "Free Zone"?

Roberto

Has nothing to do with the free zone. Applies to holders of a Permanent Residency card irrespective of where they live. They are required to purchase in Mexico or import the vehicle they own and drive here.

Has nothing to do with the free zone. Applies to holders of a Permanent Residency card irrespective of where they live. They are required to purchase in Mexico or import the vehicle they own and drive here.
So how would they know if I have a Permanent Resident card, unless I show it to them?

Roberto

The existance of a law and the enforcement of a law are two different things !! I don't know anyone who has ever been required to show a Mex visa except to work, get a Hacienda number or buy property.

Kea

Where can I find the requirements for permanent resident card holders? Rules regarding cars, border crossing, tax rules, etc. and anything else of importance. Would prefer a site in English, but Spanish is OK, thanks to translators.

Kea

Gracias playaperro, that does address some of the concerns I had. It also mentions amnesty & variations in how rules are enforced. I'm trying to find the authoritative rules since the consequences can be punitive. It sounds like I might have to scour Aduana for the car rules. I'd really like to find one place with everything spelled out.

garyd

Permanente (MPRV was FM2)
Summary – Permanent Resident Visa MPRV – If you are a Canadian or US citizen this visa allows you to stay in Mexico for as long as you want without restriction on foreign travel. You will need 4 years of Temporary residency status to get it.
Updated July 13, 2013 If you do not want to take this status after 4 years you do not have to. You will however have to start the application process from outside Mexico at a consulate. In that way you can get another 4 years of MTRV status. You may want to do this for various reasons like problems with having your vehicle in Mexico under a permanent status.
Updated February 2013: Please keep in mind that the current regulations are relatively new (Nov. 2012) so you may have different experiences depending on which office you use. The following information is gleaned from many sources across the internet it is only a summary of what I believe I understand. If in doubt consult a professional or ask a question on a forum to get information about the personal experience of others. If your experience is different or suggests errors in the information presented please comment below. Sharing has served us well in the past and will help us through these changes as well.
If you need to apply for a visa or change your immigration status in any way there is an on line procedure which starts the process. That process has been translated and documented here: INM ONline Immigration Application Procedure for Visas and changes
The cost of the visa or replacement of it is the same so don’t lose it: $3,815 pesos.
The application process costs an additional 1,000 pesos.
The MPRV can be obtained after 4 years of FM3 or FM2 status or a combination of 4 years of FM3, FM2 and Temporary Resident (MTRV) status. It does however depend when you renewed your FM3 or FM2. For example even if you had several years of FM? but last year had to reapply then you still have 3 years of Temporary status before you can get Permanent. In the case of a spouse of a permanent resident or citizen of Mexico the period is 2 years.
There are other ways to qualify they are:
by next-of-kin right to preserve the family unit
by right to preserve the family unit
by humanitarian reason.
There is a transition period in which if you have a non immigrant card (was FM3) or an Immigrant card (was FM2) which has been renewed 3 or 4 times then you can apply for a change of status to Permanent Residency winthin the 6 months prior to it’s expiry.
Once acquired the MPRV does not have to be renewed unless you are a minor.
There is a minimum income requirement for getting this visa in the range of 2,000 US$ per month or US$126,000 of investments for each individual. You may be required to prove this with bank statements for the past 6 months but the INM offices have the discretion to use a combination of assets including real estate to arrive at an equivalency. The idea is that you should be financially self sufficient.
You cannot have a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico under this status.
You must inform the INM of the following changes within 90 days of their occurrence:
• ADDRESS
• EMPLOYER
• CIVIL STATUS
• CHANGE OF CITIZENSHIP
If you have an Immigrado Booklet then you can get a permanent resident card but that is optional. Not sure what the optional part means but INM says so.
Additional Resources:
I have always found the Mexconnect forum extremely useful.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
As of November 2013 you can go straight to Permanent Resident from no status in just a few weeks, If you meet the requirements.

Once you obtain legal status as a Permanent resident you will be very limited where you can drive your foreign plated car in Mexico.

On a different point if you have a permanent resident status and are out of the USA for 9 months a year, you are not required to sign up for Obama care.

Russ-other posts have said you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle or risk having it seized. Is there a geographical boundary where you can drive a foreign plated vehicle? Thanks.

Kea

Thanks all.

Do you know if Peñasco is in the limited area we can have a US plated vehicle?

I've had my FM3 / temp res card for 4 years and can go perm this year. We are in the slow process of moving to Peñasco but will be going back and forth to the US a lot. We would prefer to not nationalize our vehicles ..... yet. Just trying to make sure I know ALL the implications before I upgrade.

(FWIW, I already signed up for Obamacare in December. It's the only way I could get US insurance.)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
As long as you have a residence in the States (MVD requirement) and happen to be a resident of Mexico you are probably OK driving around Peñasco for the time being. If you try to go past Caborca you will be asked for ID. As long as you show a USA ID and registration for the car you will not be harassed probably as you are traveling as a USA citizen and a tourist. If you try to obtain permission to travel outside of the State of Sonora going South or East you cannot get permission for your foreign plated car because you are a resident of Mexico. If you try to cheat the system by using your US passport (instead of declaring residency in Mexico) to obtain temporary permission for your vehicle as a tourist you stand the chance of giving up your residency in Mexico.

My thing is....if you plan on being a resident of a country you should try to follow the rules of that country it just makes life easier.

Having said that....if you hold residency in Mexico for business reasons or because you own property here but still live the majority of the time up north and don't want to drive outside of Sonora then you should be ok.