Playa Del Oro RV Park

IggyAZ

I have reservations at Playa Del Oro RV park anf this will be the first time we will stay there. We usually stay at The Reef but was too far out away from town.
Can anyone tell us the good, the bad, and the ugly about being there and in town?

I have been reading this forum for good places to eat and such. I wish I could join the group for Thanksgiving but not this year manybe next.

Iggy in AZ

We hae been going to PDO for many years and love it. If the park is not to full there is reasonably fast WIFI service. The staff is great and will be there to help if you ask. Restuarant next door is ok and the bar is good. If you go to the bar just strike up a conversation with anyone. The bar owner is quite verbal but you can get used to him. Try the Indio Beer!
Super Lay is our grocery store of choice and where we get our pasos. Buy your groceries and pay with a $ 100 and get paso change. Most places you shop will price to you in pesos. Go East out of the park to the stop sign and turn left. Go past the signal light and the rail tracks a few blocks and on the right is a large fruit stand with good stuff at good prices.
Also Bryans has great Prime Rib for $ 10.00. Includes baked potato, salad and vegies. Dinner at 7:00 but you have to get there at 6:00 to order. If you are late it will be sold out. Out of the park East to stop sign left to signal and turn Right and go about a mile. It is on the right.

We should be down this next weekend for a few days. We are in space 50, stop in and say hi

IggyAZ

Wood Spinner I would have said anything about your spelling. Thanks for the information. So Super Lay gives a good exchange rate? I'm planning on staying 2 weeks so I guess I can exchange to Peso there.
I was wondering what Satelite dishes/ service everyone uses to get TV. I may buy a new service but I was told not all sat work in RP especially if you are from AZ.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AZ ROB

Iggy my father in law moved to Penasco for the winter and we found it easier to go to the bank and use the ATM He said he is getting a better exchange and he doesn't have to feel uncomfortable carrying $100 bills around town. He also said to pay in peso's as much as possible as most restruants will range from 10 to1 to 11.5 to 1 on the conversion bank is giving 13.7 to 1 (peso to Dollar)

GV Jack

Snorin God
Iggy my father in law moved to Penasco for the winter and we found it easier to go to the bank and use the ATM He said he is getting a better exchange and he doesn't have to feel uncomfortable carrying $100 bills around town. He also said to pay in peso's as much as possible as most restruants will range from 10 to1 to 11.5 to 1 on the conversion bank is giving 13.7 to 1 (peso to Dollar)
Rob, I was wondering about that. I agree about paying in pesos, but if you use a debit card from the states, do they charge at the Mexican Bank and also at the American Bank?
How about if you just go into the Mexican bank and "sell" say $100.00 for pesos, will you get the same rate as the ATM?

Rob, I was wondering about that. I agree about paying in pesos, but if you use a debit card from the states, do they charge at the Mexican Bank and also at the American Bank?
How about if you just go into the Mexican bank and "sell" say $100.00 for pesos, will you get the same rate as the ATM?
I used the ATM on the corner of Sinaloa ad Fremont (Banorte??) last weekend....pulled out 3000 pesos...they charged 35 pesos as some kind of fee (Com. USO Cajero), and 3.85 pesos IVA (tax???)...my credit union pulled $232.09 from my account for the entire transaction (3038.85 pesos)....for a "rate" of 13.09 pesos per dollar. I didn't see any breakout from my credit union for any other fees...such as a foreign conversion fee like when I used my credit card down there for a purchase. I think the posted rate at the bank was 12.7/13.4 buy/sell. Unfortunately I didn't hit Super Leys or the Bodega to see what their exchange was (Super Leys actually prints it on your receipt).

Just as a note, the fish dealer/processor in town that's been mentioned on here had posted rates for shrimp, etc....where the exchange was 12.5 pesos to the dollar....(500 pesos or $40 for 2 kg of U-10 shrimp)

As for walking into a bank to do the exchange, they had stopped doing it it for a while, but I think a couple now do so...but you have to bring in your passport, and they take a copy of it....

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hi Iggy
I am a big cheerleader of the Mirador. I've had my trailer there in 2 different parks save for 3 years in the last 22 years. I love the Mirador as you are closer to everything. You can walk to the bars if that's your thing. The beach is nice in front of PDO. The Pithaya bar has good food at cheap prices. The restaurant is upstairs. You can get steak and eggs for breakfast for 4.99. Steak on Sat. night for 5 bucks, I think. The park has security at night, the bathrooms were clean the few times I have been in them and Genaro and Leo in the office speak good English. They will mail your letters for you and they have ice for sale on the premises for 20 pesos or 2 bucks a bag. There is a masseuse that sets up on the beach most days, 30 bucks for a half hour. Driving to Old Port or Super Ley's is quick. Don't forget to visit the aquarium at CET-MAR. It's really cool for the kids. And for us "dinosaurs"! LOL Rob. I am in the "North Forty" space 367. I have a big red Wrangler with big mud tires. You are welcome anytime and I always have liquid refreshments of all kinds. I'm still a weekender but am trying to get retired first of the year. I will be there Veteran's day weekend. This forum is a great place to learn about Penasco. You will enjoy your stay in PDO. Hope to meet you soon!

Just some more info on the Mirador area....there is a water/ice place about a block past the RR tracks on Sinaloa heading north (past Fremont)....bags of ice for $1 and 5 gallons of water (into your jugs)....for $1

Just some more info on the Mirador area....there is a water/ice place about a block past the RR tracks on Sinaloa heading north (past Fremont)....bags of ice for $1 and 5 gallons of water (into your jugs)....for $1
On the left? Like, just past Pharmacia 2000?

playaperro

El Pirata
This place is on the east side of the street, been there forever next door to the tortilla lady's place...on sinaloa not juarez

This place is on the east side of the street, been there forever next door to the tortilla lady's place...on sinaloa not juarez
If you're heading away from the Mirador (past Fremont, then across the railroad track)...it's on the right...you can't miss it...large high commercial type garage doors....between 10th Street and 12 de Octubre

Check this link for a map.... http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202168819225499347475.00048180b88e9f47c1d92&msa=0&ll=31.310886,-113.531578&spn=0.007892,0.009645

Last edited:
If you're heading away from the Mirador (past Fremont, then across the railroad track)...it's on the right...you can't miss it...large high commercial type garage doors....between 10th Street and 12 de Octubre

Check this link for a map.... http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202168819225499347475.00048180b88e9f47c1d92&msa=0&ll=31.310886,-113.531578&spn=0.007892,0.009645
Ahhh, thanks for this map! Going to add most of your tagged locations to my own google maps "saved places."

I want to share an experience that speaks volumes, not only about PDO, but PP itself. While we were staying at PDO recently, a couple (late thirties maybe?) from Idaho pulled into the space right behind us one morning. His mother lives in Tucson and they were visiting her and decided to check out PP. Of course, his mom and people back home in Idaho said they were nuts, but they went anyway. They were in a beautiful, huge motor home pulling a jeep. After awhile, it occured to me that this was probably their first time there. They had two beach type chairs (and that was it) that they set in front of the motor home.........and they just sat there.......and just sat there. Finally, one of the girls in the space next to us and I struck up a conversation with them and sure enough, it was their first time. We all introduced ourselves and told them if they needed anything, to let us know. We then proceeded to tell them various things about the place and I gave them my copies of the RP Times and Join us (there weren't any in the office at PDO). As I passed him the next morning on my bike ride around the park, I said good morning to him, as did other people around him. Another neighbor struck up a conversation with him and they talked for awhile. We didn't get a chance to talk to them again until the next evening.....that's when they told us that they put a lot of miles on their jeep out exploring the area and how much they had fallen in love with PP. He said the first day there, he was so bored he wanted to go home. But then people started talking to him and I gave them the papers and everyone in the park was so nice and everybody says "good morning", he had a hangover that morning but it was worth it ......they went on and on and on............ They then told us they had to get back to Idaho for business purposes, but decided to drop the motor home off at his mom's, drive the jeep to Idaho, take care of business, drive back to Tucson, pick up the motor home and go right back to PP and PDO!!!! This may sound a little "cheerleaderish", but I don't care......they were such a nice couple and it was so nice to see someone not listening to all the crap.

I want to share an experience that speaks volumes, not only about PDO, but PP itself. While we were staying at PDO recently, a couple (late thirties maybe?) from Idaho pulled into the space right behind us one morning. His mother lives in Tucson and they were visiting her and decided to check out PP. Of course, his mom and people back home in Idaho said they were nuts, but they went anyway. They were in a beautiful, huge motor home pulling a jeep. After awhile, it occured to me that this was probably their first time there. They had two beach type chairs (and that was it) that they set in front of the motor home.........and they just sat there.......and just sat there. Finally, one of the girls in the space next to us and I struck up a conversation with them and sure enough, it was their first time. We all introduced ourselves and told them if they needed anything, to let us know. We then proceeded to tell them various things about the place and I gave them my copies of the RP Times and Join us (there weren't any in the office at PDO). As I passed him the next morning on my bike ride around the park, I said good morning to him, as did other people around him. Another neighbor struck up a conversation with him and they talked for awhile. We didn't get a chance to talk to them again until the next evening.....that's when they told us that they put a lot of miles on their jeep out exploring the area and how much they had fallen in love with PP. He said the first day there, he was so bored he wanted to go home. But then people started talking to him and I gave them the papers and everyone in the park was so nice and everybody says "good morning", he had a hangover that morning but it was worth it ......they went on and on and on............ They then told us they had to get back to Idaho for business purposes, but decided to drop the motor home off at his mom's, drive the jeep to Idaho, take care of business, drive back to Tucson, pick up the motor home and go right back to PP and PDO!!!! This may sound a little "cheerleaderish", but I don't care......they were such a nice couple and it was so nice to see someone not listening to all the crap.
Julie...that used to happen over at Playa Bonita years ago....everybody was helpful,,,hello...how are you...starting up conversations.....we made many friends there....then we started to get the snobs with their $250-500K motorhomes come in, caravans of them, and tape off entire areas so you couldn't walk thru "their areas", even the walkway along the wall by the beachfront.....(you can figure what I used to do!!!:stir:)...but that's when I stopped camping there.....

I think many of that "type" were scared off, because the last couple of times I went over to visit friends who stay there for months, I didn;t see that happening!

IggyAZ

Thank you ALL for so much information. My wife and I are retired and have travelled many places including PP last year. I do agree to get out and smell the roses so to speak. Many people just sit and do nothing. We on the other hand are alway saying hello to everyone as we or they pass. I think this is what makes a great vacation. Even a little cit chat you can find lots of places to eat others have liked. We plan to enjoy our new adventure and plan to say hi to everyone.

About the TV. It looks like I will get DISH networks " Pay as you go " Plan. You buy the receiver, antenna and you can active it for a month at a time. No extra fees or charges.
The only question I need to ask them is if I'm registered at my home in Phoenix will I get local Phoenix channels off the dish? Can anyone answer that question?

Thanks all for all the info again and I'm sure I will have other questions as I get closer to heading south.

Iggy

Terry C

If you have a package with local channels you will get them there. I wouldnt tell them where you are because they will zap your service. Dish also has a tail gate reciever now you can buy. Looks like a little plastic box that may not need setting up like the dish does. I just seen it, didnt read up on it.

IggyAZ

If you have a package with local channels you will get them there. I wouldnt tell them where you are because they will zap your service. Dish also has a tail gate reciever now you can buy. Looks like a little plastic box that may not need setting up like the dish does. I just seen it, didnt read up on it.
The DISH Pay As You Go is designed for RVers traveling so they will know I'm on the road. I will tell them I plan on being just a few hundred miles from Phoenix in hopes I will always get local channels.
It is a great service and can be started and stopped month to month without startup of stopping fees. The basic monthly service is $35.99 and you get 60 channels of stufff and local channels. This will fit our needs as we don't travel lots but want TV where we are.

Thanks