Playa Mia Development

corndog

First time I went to Playa Mia, was in 1987 it was an oyster farm and called Sincronizada.. It was owned by the Monson family. In 1997 rain and high winds from hurricane Nora hit that side of RP first and destroyed the oyster farm and that ended that, Shortly after Manuel Monson Jr. started staking off areas in front of Sincronizada and started seeding clams.. He staked of the areas to keep track of time the clams had to grow..He also set nets tied between wood posts for fish.. I was out there years ago when the tied went out Manuel and my wife and I walked to the nets and there was a huge shark tangled up in one...So now about Playa Mia. The Monson family sold the property in the early 2000's.. Jose is in charge of sales, I have been in his office a few times he has a site plan of the subdivision and shows maybe 50 to 60 lots sold. I went to a party Jose put on out there a few months ago for owners and all of them seemed happy.. Thats about all I know..

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Nice location pretty sure they will be hooked on to city water and hopefully sewer too other than that one of many developments being developed but many people shy away from undeveloped subdivisions.
I remember that storm Nora Corndog,
There’s a nice green house beachfront in Las Conchas that was pretty torn up after that storm, a month later it was up and still perico green.
Time flies.

corndog

Nice location pretty sure they will be hooked on to city water and hopefully sewer too other than that one of many developments being developed but many people shy away from undeveloped subdivisions.
I remember that storm Nora Corndog,
There’s a nice green house beachfront in Las Conchas that was pretty torn up after that storm, a month later it was up and still perico green.
Time flies.
Great time to be in the roofing business..1997

corndog

Does this mean the oyster farm is going away, or already has?
The oyster farm was shut down in 1997,..The estuary filled with with sand making it a little too shallow and all of the grow boxes were destroyed, so they quit.. The estuary is by water 2 to 3 miles northeast of Cholla Bay..For the last 5 years the estuary has gotten deeper and the entrance to the estuary has changed 3 times and now again has water in some spots full time..(it is actually deeper now that it was when Nora hit )..The picture is from a property a little north of Playa Mia..but the same estuary.. I am about 20 feet higher and set back 20 feet from the estuary, so you dont see part of it and it goes further than the picture on the top side shows.

Attachments

Last edited:

audsley

Guess I should have read Corndog's first post more carefully. I'd assumed it was the oyster farm at Marua estuary that was being discussed. I never knew there'd been one north of Cholla Bay.