Police station and emergency numbers

Lina

In the event of getting pulled over in Sonyota, and if I request to be taken to the police station to pay fines, what is the address that I should go to? I'd be worried about being taken to the wrong address, etc.

Also, is 066 the number to call for emergencies? Any other good numbers I should have?

Thanks all!

Terry C

On 10/4/2016 , 911 became the official emergency number in 16 Mexican states , including Sonora/Rocky Point. This replaces the 066 service.

Beach Sand

User is currently banned
Don't worry about it, they're not going to pull you over unless you did something illegal at which time you'll be able to pay the fine without having to make the trip to the popo dept.

Follow the police vehicle to the police station. When you arrive you will clearly see if it's an official police station or a shakedown joint down a back alley. If it's a shakedown joint, keep driving.

Don't worry about it, they're not going to pull you over unless you did something illegal at which time you'll be able to pay the fine without having to make the trip to the popo dept.
Friend of mine got pulled over for speeding in Sonoyta on 9/30. Cop took his license, reg. & ins. card, wrote him up and was told he owed the cop $60. I was always told not to pay the officer. Then another question came up, if you tell the cop to take you to the station and he has all your paperwork can he stop you again and write you up for not having your paperwork?? BTW he was going 32 mph. I made copies of my DL, Reg. and ins. card. If I get pulled over I'm going to try that, has anybody else tried it?

Don't worry about it, they're not going to pull you over unless you did something illegal at which time you'll be able to pay the fine without having to make the trip to the popo dept.[/QUOkedTE]
Um . . . if you want to pay the fine to a dirty cop who encourages that, it too would be illegal . . . and perpetuates that kind of corruption . . . and encourages them to victimize tourists. Simply ask the cop to direct you to the station, which will be marked as a police station.

After, a few attempts to be shaken down for the Mordida, lately in Sonatya, I do the 26mph (40kpm) crawl through town.
It really pi#$#s off the locals and anyone behind me.
That helps keep the crooked cops in-line.
(Jerry's knowledge is still Gold here, even if he doesn't post anymore, along with a whole lot of former members)

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
After, a few attempts to be shaken down for the Mordida, lately in Sonatya, I do the 26mph (40kpm) crawl through town.
It really pi#$#s off the locals and anyone behind me.
That helps keep the crooked cops in-line.
(Jerry's knowledge is still Gold here, even if he doesn't post anymore, along with a whole lot of former members)

I FRICKEN LOVE JERRY!!!! GOSH DARN.... last week the Sonoyta diddy wanted to pull a U-E and follow a pro through town. I gave them the DELIBERATE 22mph slow roll and their heads exploded! They didn't know what to do... No ticket, no hassle, no f#cks given... Cracked open that traditional brew a few minutes later.. #HERO