Port ready yet?

audsley

Well Known Member
Lately I've received inquiries from friends about the cruise departure advertised for December 7 of this year. Have they been making major progress on the port and I just haven't heard about it?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
As of last month, zero activity on the jetty, block making facility. Supposedly going to use the convention center as the cruise center and shuttle people to the harbor to get ferried to the ship.

audsley

Well Known Member
Some enterprising film crew ought to be down there for the shuttling and ferrying of 550 passengers and their luggage. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have to think there will be some grumpy passengers by the time they get on the ship.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
I'm thinking that the temporary cruise line is a trial balloon to determine how quickly they may or may not want to get the port built.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Where is the money going to come from? For every $ they spent on it, some how only received 30-40% in actual work.
Too many hands are grabbing the $ before it actually can be used to pay for the Port. That's just the reality of this so far.
If this ever gets finished, I'm OK with that.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Well yeah -- that has been the problem. Either they get serious about it and fix the problem (direct and protect the funding) or not. And yes, I too am okay either way.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Quote "" Cruise and Maritime Voyages expects most passengers to come from Arizona and other western states, Dennis said. And many of them will likely fly into Phoenix or Tucson airports. So the company is arranging ground transportation from Phoenix and Tucson to Rocky Point.
“So our guests will not only cruise with us, but we’re going to ask them to leave the driving to us,” he said. ""

I think this is a key to success. Not sure how many will fly in but I think nice busses form Tucson , Phoenix, and even LA will bring them in. No muss no fuss. Retirees will love it. Wonder if other large cruise lines run initial transportation to the dock ?
The choke point here will be getting them from the shore to the boat. Will be some interesting times when we have a huge sea with lovely screaming wind like today. Wonder where they will load up on shore?? Anyone heard where they will fuel and provision ?

I do hope things are structured to create jobs for local people.

Bob Oso

Well Known Member
So they bus them in from Phoenix and Tucson, and then what, drop them on the beach at the Wrecked with all their luggage. Every cruise I've been on went through checking in and security stages before I even stepped foot on the ship. I don't recall seeing any structure being made for that purpose. Loading the tenders ought to be something to see. Maybe they'll just load them into the rock trucks and tilt them off at the end of the pier.

mondone

Whitecaps
So they bus them in from Phoenix and Tucson, and then what, drop them on the beach at the Wrecked with all their luggage. Every cruise I've been on went through checking in and security stages before I even stepped foot on the ship. I don't recall seeing any structure being made for that purpose. Loading the tenders ought to be something to see. Maybe they'll just load them into the rock trucks and tilt them off at the end of the pier.
They will be using the Convention center as the cruise terminal so they say.

BryAz

Ever hear of the Fyre festival? I could be wrong and I hope I am, but I think it may go over kinda like that :confused:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I just purchased a combo ticket to Boomerfest and the first cruise. Should be fun! Fun fact: Boomers are one of many slang terms used to describe Magic Mushrooms...

Every time we're driving around by the port or over by the jetty I always revert back to the same thought; What KOOLAID are these people drinking?! This must be the same KOOLAID all those Trump supporters drank when he told them they were getting better healthcare for a fraction of the cost, not going to lose their jobs at the factories (a few of which has now closed) and the truckers were going to get a YUUUUUUGE tax break by the Tax cuts and now in the news a few days ago these truckers are pissed because they took away their ability to itemize deductions leaving one trucker with a "$8,000 greater tax liability than the previous year". SHOCKER!!! Who could have seen that coming?!

I think there's posts on here where I said cruise ship port ain't happening until 2020 and that was in 2012!!!! I used to get nervous that my quote would look really bad for me over time but man, my intuition wins again... with help from my ego.

Any realistic person that objectively observes the congestion and overall lack of infrastructure in the current port area that is already overcrowded with Shrimp boats would ask the question, how is this going to go smoothly? 550 people with luggage? I can barely drive my mid size truck through that area some times, let alone getting 550 people and their luggage aboard tenders to take them to some beat ship made in 1947?

Maybe they will give the unhappy customers free vouchers to Boomerfest as consolation after their less than stellar experiences and overall disappointment....