Portable A/C at Coppel

Kea

When we were at Coppel last week, we saw they had a DeLonghi Penquino portable A/C. There was no price sign for it. We figured we'd check it out online, but couldn't find it on their website (perhaps we just looked in the wrong place). Does anyone know their price? Also does anyone know their return policy? We know that some of these type units work better than others, so we would like to buy a portable A/C (not necessarily that brand / model) somewhere where we can return it or exchange it. We may end up getting one at Fry's in the US and then paying the tax at the border. Just looking to compare prices.

I would check myself, but we are now back in the US.

Whenever I've been in that store, their prices seemed to be very high. For appliances, I'd check Muebles Coloniales (I believe that's the name of it.....on Constitution, a couple blocks north of Benito Juarez). Their prices were competitive with The Walmart Bodega for refrigerators when a friend bought one a few months ago.

If you're thinking about buying one of those portable, free standing on wheels, air conditioning units, consider the condensate that you're going to have to get rid of, particularly in humid Penasco. Most have a small tank that you have to empty, probably every few hours, although I've seen some with a plumbing fitting that you can rig up. You also have to exhaust the hot air. I tried one here in Phoenix, about 12000 BTU, in a 350 sq. ft. room, and it did a very poor job.

Terry C

Joe, you are right on that. I have two roll arounds in Playa Enacnto that suck for A/C. The small tank fills up so fast and it was a pain in the arse. Once it's full it shuts down. Never did use the heat as we have that end all covered.

Kea

I don't remember seeing them at Mueblas Coloniales; but we weren't looking for those at the time. Besides, we still haven't been upstairs. Like I said, I know they don't always work for every situation - hence the question about the return policy.

The sales clerk at the Fry's in Vegas said you could rig up a fish tank hose to get rid of the extra condensation. We just thought it might come in handy for the bedroom at night so as not to have to have to use the central air. (Why try to cool the whole house when you are only using one room?)

Buy a mini-split A/C at Muebles Coloniales, not very expensive, cools nicely and removes humidity well.
2 ton was $660 installed 2 weeks ago. 1 tons were $350ish, About the same price as a roll around.
I brought a 9k btu down and when I turned it on the humidity in my house went up 5-10%. I was also using a couple of window units.
Yeah, I returned it when I got back.

MIRAMAR

We just bought a 1 ton mini-split from Muebles Coloniales- was supposed to cost around $305, but it was out of stock, so we bought the same Mirage unit with heating for $318 ($4295 pesos including IVA) with the heater! The unit uses 950 watts Mini Split Mirage Absolut V - $ 6,500.00 en MercadoLibre The Mirage only has a 1 year warranty on the condenser- the GE unit was about $100 more but has a 5 year warranty. We took it up to Tucson to heat our home office- the portable wasn't doing the job w/ the computers. Luis, the Muebles Coloniales salesman, said his father-in-law was the baker at Cornejo in Old Port. We've bought several things from there, and really like the home town service.

They had a 2 ton Friskker unit for $35 more with a 5 year compressor warranty.
There is a sales lady there who is the daughter of the baker. Luis's wife?
I also like the personal service they provide, I will be buying more there for sure.
The second floor is all furniture, beds and cabinets, watch the big step near the top of the stairs!!
I sure miss the old panderia in the old port.

MIRAMAR

We don't have 220 where we want the A/C, so we had to go w/ the 1 ton unit, but that's good to know- thanks.

Yes, the baker's daughter works behind the counter. Luis and his wife said there was a bakery (discussed in another thread) in town now- I think he said it was run by the baker's son.

MIRAMAR

So we installed the mini-split 1 ton unit we purchased from Muebles Coloniales for $315 in our office in Tucson- I can't tell you how great it works. We had friends of ours who own an air conditioning company come over to help install it, and they were impressed with the unit and price- they said their cheapest was around $900 in the U.S. We installed it in June, the office is around 265 sq feet and the temp INSIDE WAS 94 degrees (computers, printers running along with a portable a/c unit which didn't seem to be doing anything). Now it's 80-82 and I can raise the house a/c temp. I would highly recommend this unit and it's quiet.