Price of Shrimp

dwig222

I am going down this week and would like to try Seafood Industries to get some shrimp. Can anyone tell me approximately what a box of large costs? I know the price fluxuates, so just a ball park. Not necessarily the big jumbos, just the large. I have been paying about $7 per pound for them from Alberto and Jesse. I know they are not sold by the pound like that so I'm curious as to how much cash to bring.

jerry

don't know about the price up their but bought a kilo of the big blues..big...for 150 pesos at the fish camp 1 mile south of Santo Tomas it is the time.. Asparagus burn off coming this week so get ready for that too...the Orange and Corn harvest from Sinaloa is hitting Caborca (12 ears for 20 pesos) The Nursery in Caborca has a great collection of plants and trees..it is awesome..take 6th all the way to the hospital,take a right and it is on the main street headed back west in the next block

Roberto

Yep, oranges also arriving from Sinaloa at the Sinaloa Market. Did not see any corn but they were unloading a truck. I have not found the real 'sweet corn' down here. It's more like what we called 'field corn' larger kernels and tasty but not sweet.

jerry

Yep, oranges also arriving from Sinaloa at the Sinaloa Market. Did not see any corn but they were unloading a truck. I have not found the real 'sweet corn' down here. It's more like what we called 'field corn' larger kernels and tasty but not sweet.
it is field corn...pretty good still

Ingredients:

• 10 ears of fresh corn
  • 2 quarts water
  • 6 chicken thighs
  • 1 pound pork butt, cut into cubes
  • salt to taste
  • 1 pound small, round zucchini squash, sliced
  • 4 guajillo chiles, seeded and soaked in hot water until soft
  • 2 sprigs epazote
  • lime wedges for garnish
Cut the kernels from the ears of corn and place them in a stockpot with 2 quarts water, the chicken, the pork, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, cover and cook until the meat is nearly tender.
Puree the chiles with the epazote and just enough chile soaking water to move the blender blades. Add the puree and the zucchini squash to the stockpot and cook until the squash is tender. Squash cooks quickly, so watch that it does not become soggy.
Taste and add more salt if desired. Serve in deep bowls, accompanied by lime wedges for squeezing into the pozole, and tostadas or crisp fried corn tortillas.
Serves 6.

Last edited:

Roberto

:happens:Sorry for the hijack, but it was the Commie, Pinko, Ratfink's fault. I was mindin my own business till he mentioned oranges and corn!! Then Mexicoruss chimes in encouraging the hijack ! Bet GV will have some comment about GOLF too. This forum has gone to you know where in a handbasket.

Hey Jerry: You mentioned burning off the asparagus fields. Do they burn the stubble to stimulate new growth?

jerry

Hey Jerry: You mentioned burning off the asparagus fields. Do they burn the stubble to stimulate new growth?
Where you can get away with it like Mexico you burn to deal with Rust and other fungus plus beetles.The farmers are pulling out about 1000 dollars an acre a week when harvest starts. Asparagas deals well with salty soil too. .the burning sucks for Caborca...I think if a guy got into making the candied asparasas (preservative technique..and great)like the chinos do it might make a good buck..I think the burning does clear the field of dead growth you don't want to use in the mulch and adds a little to the soil but it is a bad practice...dill in the fields gets rid of the beetles....any way that's what we did in Michigan

Last edited:

GV Jack

Snorin God
Bet GV will have some comment about GOLF too. This forum has gone to you know where in a handbasket.
I wouldn't dream of hijacking a thread like you Forum Terrorists do.

However, I was in Walmart buying golf balls the other day and Jerry, I did see some chicken thighs and pork butts, but then I'm no
spring epazote, so I just smiled and walked on.

dwig222

I'll answer my own question. It is roughly six dollars a pound for large. :) Just bought some. I highly recommend this place if you want more than just a pound or two.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Buy it at the fish market, check your product, the one at the commercial place could be farm raised like Roberto and a few others. Same price at both places.
from my understanding, Seafood Industries is where the shrimp come in from the boats, already frozen.
the shrimp are separated by size, and then packaged. The fish markets on the malecon get their shrimp here too, so when you see it in the coolers, it's been thawed since the initial freezing on the boats. I have taken these thawed shrimp like many folks and re-froze to bring home - not a problem so long as they stayed very cold while thawed out. I missed stopping at Seafood Indistries up on Sinaloa on our way out, but one of my friends stopped and said the prices were very good and they bought a couple 2-kilo boxes.
btw - if folks would please try to keep threads on topic - some of the posts trying to be funny/sarcastic are just a waste of space and time. imho.

playaperro

El Pirata
What about the six months the shrimp boats are parked? The pangas bring the shrimp that slept in the ocean the night before if you know where to buy.