Price per pound for shrimp at the fish market?

badfish

Does any one here know the price per pound for large shrimp at the fish market?

We usually bring some back for family. It was around $9 per pound in March. Im just wondering if the price has decreased?

The guy that drives around in Cholla was quoting $9 for large browns.
Shrimp usually go have the lowest price in mid-Nov - Jan and then rise in price.

At times I have paid $10 for 15 large (in July) which are bigger than what a "large" sized here is. So still seems like a good deal to me.

JoseAz

A number of new "fish market" businesses have popped up on the way to the actual Malecon. Has anyone tried any of those that are located from Latitudes to the boat launch or nearby?
We are uneasy with how long the shrimp and fish have been on ice in the market and worry a bit more about how well these newer cool popups keep their product fresh in 20 gallon coolers.
On occasion, I'd like to stop short of the Malecon, pick up some dinner and head back out without the hassle of parking, hawkers, etc....
Thanks for your insights

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The shrimp you are speaking of is fine (from my own experience) they are out there for exactly the reasons you list in your message. They are before you are committed to the Malecon shuffle, they have the same product, you can buy and be out of there in 5 minutes or less I buy there when I am in the downtown area - otherwise I have a guy I buy from on Samuel Ocaña (out of an ice chest)

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
how fresh is the shrimp these days? are we talking about a couple of days or a week... curious? I wonder when I see the shrimp often times frozen and packed in ice chests. I heard that the fresh shrimp may be available from the local restaurants since they buy them daily or frequently.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Shrimp season ended in April, the town was about to run out Semana Santa, I know at that time 60 tons were ordered in from Matzatlan.

courtesy of carnac

KTMKP

I heard that the shrimp was frozen right on the boats after it was caught, then brought back to port after they were done fishing.

Yes it's been frozen on the boats for many years. When the commercial boats go out usually 10-14 days that's the only way to keep it from spoiling. The small boats bringing it in now probably poached is fresh but very little of that is available to us tourists, no matter what you are told. I've seen too many blocks of frozen shrimp defrosting in a sink or ice chest to know better at the fish market.

garyd

I used to get the 2 kilo frozen blocks from the fish store behind the Pemex for around 500 to 600 pesos for U 10. Anyone know what they are going for now?