Propane Explodes At Unconcious

Landshark

Anyone ever figure out what ever caused this explosion? Really awful situation.
Probably never will know what happened. Power goes off and explosion occurs when it comes back on says a lot. Best bet is to take precautions in case of a malfunction or leak. We just bought 2 of these and plugged them in next to our furnaces. Will sleep a little better...
Propanedetector.jpg

ernesto

I spoke with 2
guys working there a couple weeks ago. They said the tank did not blow up , it was propane pooling that exploded. Made a real mess out of a Toyota Tundra parked there.I hope those people recover. I converted my house to all electric years ago due to a propane malfunction. My neighbors have not and those big rusty propane tanks make me nervous.

Landshark

We had the same thoughts about the rusty tanks so we had them painted. The cleaned the rust off of them before painting with an electric drill equipped with a wire wheel. They didn't seem worried about the
sparks. :confused:

JoseAz

We had the same thoughts about the rusty tanks so we had them painted. The cleaned the rust off of them before painting with an electric drill equipped with a wire wheel. They didn't seem worried about the
sparks. :confused:
Its probably the rust that is inside that you might be worried about?

jerry

I bet it was un coated galvanized steel pipe. Galvanized would never beapproved for use as buried gas pipe. Galvanized steel is rust resistant, but it is definitely not rust proof. This is why galvanized water pipes in old homes are usually replaced after 30 or 40 years.

Landshark

Its probably the rust that is inside that you might be worried about?
Good point, but not sure how to inspect for rust or what to do if it was rusty. After reading, it does appear they rust internally. The tanks have been in service for 16 years and it says all propane tanks are date stamped and have an expiration date. The 5 gal gas grill tanks expire after 12 yrs and require recertification. Not sure yet about the large tanks, but probably will have to replace them at some point.

I bought a new 120 liter tank, that's sitting unfilled in my garage, makes me think about not using it.
Or hooking it up outside and plan on replacing it at 20 years.

Currently we use a 5 gal propane bottle for, one water heater and my stove set-up, it lasts us about 15 days. I prefer cooking with gas.
A recent bath/bedroom addition has a electric water heater.

The tank stays in my garage when we leave and I rotate it every 2-3 years with a new one.

apricot

Landshark

Burying a propane tank seems a little sketchy to me. I like to keep an eye on ours watching for rust or anything else out of the ordinary. If an above ground tank developed a small leak you would be able to smell it, below ground probably not. Seems like the wet dirt would create major rusting and what do you do when the certification expires, dig it up??

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We had a close call yesterday in La Cholla. a propane delivery truck hit one of the CFE poles at the entrance to Cholla knocking it mostly over but killing power to Cholla and parts if not all of Sandy Beach. CFE was on it and a few hours later everything came back on. I am glad that the electric didn't explode the truck....