Pulling a trailer

Ok so another crazy dumb question from me.

We are planning to pull a covered utility trailer down when we move. How does that work at the border? Do they search through every box?

If you have Visa then you can apply for a one time exemption on the import tax. They have the right but I rarely get and indepth search.

Rick
Cholla Bay

playaperro

El Pirata
You will have to pull over to the left before you cross into the inspection light lane and declare to the customs what you have, If nothing is new and are very savey about what you can cross, they will let you bring your stuff in.

Roberto

Ok so another crazy dumb question from me.

We are planning to pull a covered utility trailer down when we move. How does that work at the border? Do they search through every box?
You will be subject to all the Mexican published restrictions regarding what you are permitted to bring down. There are prohibited items ( like guns and ammo) and restricted items subject to inspection (some food) and permitted items but with restrictions on the quantity (like 5 CDs, one radio, one computer, etc.) It has been discussed here several times with links to the Mex. site for aduana. They do not care if you are living here or not. If you have over a certain total value of stuff you must hire a customs broker to process it all and establish your costs. You might get the green but you are still subject to search. The exemption only applies to application in advance to the Mex. offices in the states and I think only to homeowners. It is a one pass permit for up to a certain value.

I brought a loaded pick up and U-Haul from NM when I moved here and in my ignorence just drove across, got the green but got stopped anyway. It was late at night and the inspector collected $200 in "fees" from me and sent me on my way. Things have changed at the Mex inspection since then and they are much more thorough. In general concerning household items they are trying to stop people from bringing stuff in with no tax and reselling it here.

Servicio de Administración Tributaria

Sorry some of this is incomplete but that's the process and the relevant info is easy to find. You have time to do some research i think. Might make multiple trips.

We just crossed last week pulling a closed utility trailer. We had some new patio furniture (still in boxes) that we stopped to voluntarily declare. We had our receipt. They asked to see inside the trailer, didn't even ask to open the boxes and paid no attention to the other items in the trailer which included food, alcohol, luggage, etc. Charged us what I thought was a fair tax amount, were friendly and polite, and on we went.

Roberto

You stopped and paid and your total was probably under the permitted total value, so sounds like you did it right. It's good to understand what the law is. If you choose to try to get around it, at least you should do it informed about the risks. We all know it depends on who is inspecting at the time of crossing. Some are flexible, some are not. The rules are vague and appear contradictory at times.