Putting money in a mexican bank

We will finaly be closing on a home we sold in Colorado and I need to move the money out of the government reach. I do intend to pay taxes etc . but our business owes to the IRS and as the business is owned by us so we need to protect these funds.
Any thoughts or experience will help in our decisions.

Scott

Put the money on pre-paid Visa's or Amex Cards. It is the best way to move money across borders -- it is a loop hole that the US Government is trying to close, but it is wide open right now.

dmcauley

you are allowed to bring twenty thousand at a time into mexico- the dollar accounts are safe but you must have an FM 3 to open an account

Casa Alina

Las Conchas
7 % interest

Lend it to us and you can put a mexican lien on our house. insured, sleep good no worries, Lets talk. Can also put up a house in the USA.

I wouldn't bring that much in cash, use money orders.
Money orders are tracked nowadays if they are made out above a certain amount, but I can't remember the dollar amount that triggers a report. It's all part of the war against money laundering, dontcha know, and the effort to catch any suspicious characters who might want to blow us up... Sure it is... :roll:

Roberto

Mexican Banks have all sorts of fee's etc. so be very careful about finding out exactly what they are. Here in Mexico it seems you get charged by the bank for everything. There is a fee charged (2% last I knew) on deposits. Fees differ depending on whether you are dealing in dollars or Pesos. The banks are also very unresponsive to fixing problems and providing information. It often seems impossible to find a person at the bank who knows anything. I know of at least one example where the bank made an error in their favor admitted it and simply refused to correct it. They also have some unusual inter bank agreements. Personally, I would not put one dime in a Mexican Bank.

Also be aware that the IRS and Hacienda (Mex. IRS ) do have reciprocal agreements. I know, for a fact, that the Mexican Hacienda can get access to bank account information in the US, so the reverse is most probably true. Given this I would be concerned that bank funds in Mexico could be frozen by Hacienda through a reciprocal agreement. You do not want to get involved with Hacienda. I would also explore the possibility that Hacienda would be interested in a large deposit coming 'out of the blue' so to speak. I repeat "You do not want to get involved with Hacienda". The biggest problem you have, really, is finding someone to represent your interests here in Mexico, provide accurate information, assist with small problems. Don't think about the local accountants, there is no help there. If you are not fluent in Spanish you will be totally lost.

I'd be looking at a trip to the Caribbean, the Caimen Islands I think. Costa Rica is another good possibility.

PM me if you want more!

JimMcG

Good advice Roberto! Also do not forget just a few years ago when during a peso meltdown when the Mexican government involuntarily converted all dollar accounts to pesos with no recourse to dollar account holders.

Also do not believe for one moment that the US IRS does not have access to almost all 'offshore' accounts as needed.

No reflection on any forum members, but I would never post my intentions on an open forum such as this.

Jim

I've had accounts at Bancomer and Banamex for over 10 years. NO fees, NO problems whatsoever, free checks. I don't know what I would do without a bank account here. And I have wire transferred $20K at a time from my account in Tucson when I was buying property. No problems with that either. I don't know what bad experience you had Roberto but I have been totally satisfied with their professionalism and don't find them any different from banks in the US. They do have a minimum balance of $800 USD to avoid a monthly charge.

I bank with Santander and have had no problem. I wire transfer money regularly with no problem. There is a 1000.00 minimum or the fees are very expensive. I am signed up for online banking and it works great. Once again I do not believe that your deposits are insured like they are in the US with FDIC. If the bank goes under so do you.

JimMcG

Good advice Roberto! Also do not forget just a few years ago when during a peso meltdown when the Mexican government involuntarily converted all dollar accounts to pesos with no recourse to dollar account holders.

Also do not believe for one moment that the US IRS does not have access to almost all 'offshore' accounts as needed.

No reflection on any forum members, but I would never post my intentions on an open forum such as this.
-spy
Foreign banks to become IRS spies using Qualified Intermediary program?

July 9, 2009
Offshore Banks Terminate "Toxic American Clients"

By Robert E. Bauman JD, International Living Legal Counsel
Thanks to unprecedented pressure and threats aimed at foreign banks by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Americans, both at home and abroad, are being blocked from being able to have bank or investment accounts in Swiss banks—and this IRS inspired anti-American movement may spread to other countries.
In the last few months, tens of thousands of Americans’ offshore accounts have been shut down and new account requests denied.
It started in Switzerland, where resident U.S. citizens were told their Swiss bank accounts would be closed. Among the banks imposing this “Yankee Go Home” policy are the two largest Swiss banks, UBS and Credit Suisse. HSBC and even small private banks, like Mirabaud & Cie. have adopted this policy. UBS alone closed a reported 52,000 U.S. accounts.
More than 5 million Americans live abroad, including about 30,000 in Switzerland. A large number of Americans in both groups could be hurt if this “no American bank accounts” movement spreads. Although at first, terminations mostly involved investment accounts, American expatriates fear that closures of personal operating accounts for individuals and U.S. business accounts may be next.
UBS decided to end offshore banking with U.S. clients last July after admitting that bank officials assisted an unknown number of American clients to evade U.S. taxes. Now UBS is embroiled in a bitter court case with the IRS that threatens the future of the Swiss banking secrecy law.
Other Swiss banks, fearing UBS-like legal problems and IRS red tape are adopting a safety-first attitude, abandoning U.S. clients. The banks justifiably feel threatened by an IRS demand that UBS surrender the names of its 52,000 American accounts. The IRS is also threatening to sue other Swiss banks for U.S. client names.
“More banks are publicly announcing that they don’t want American clients anymore. The banks are simply not willing to take such risks and are eliminating American clients,” says Andy Sundberg of the Geneva-based group, American Citizens Abroad. “The U.S. administration has decided that it is justified to turn its citizens into toxic clients,” he claims.
This bizarre international banking disruption results from the Obama administration’s ravenous hunger for more tax collections to finance its plans to remake the U.S.
The stick the IRS is using is the little known IRS “qualified intermediary” (QI) program. Established in 2001, more than 7,000 foreign banks participate in the QI program. They must because without IRS-QI approval the foreign banks can be cut off from access to the U.S. financial and banking systems (as some few already have), a ruinous possibility.
Currently the QI system allows participating IRS-approved banks to have U.S. clients without disclosing their names to the IRS. Until now the IRS has relied on the banks promise to identify U.S. clients, withhold a 30% tax on U.S. securities in their accounts, and send taxes owed to the IRS. But the IRS claims offshore banks and their U.S. clients have become tax cheats, each year evading at least $15 billion in taxes owed under the QI system.
Under new QI rules proposed to take effect in 2011, foreign banks must become IRS spies, actively investigating and reporting to the IRS, not only information on individual U.S. clients, but also on legal entities (trusts, corporations, foundations) that Americans control as beneficial owners. U.S. persons are required by law to report all offshore accounts on annual IRS Form 1040, but the IRS claims thousands fail to do so.
Adding to the woes of offshore banks and their American clients, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is trying to force offshore banks that give investment advice to Americans, even if rendered outside the U.S., to register with the SEC, a complex and costly process.
If you have a current bank or investment account in a foreign country, ask your bank what its policies are and how they may affect you. You may need to make other banking plans.

Roberto

You are welcome! How have you been?
I have been well, pero MUCHO calor! The circulating fan motor on my home AC took a poop and it took a week to get one from Hermosillo !! Phew, fortunately I had purchased a window unit as a spare at Home Depo so I did not cook at night.