Question about Mexican Tourist Card (FMM)

Howell

Our family will be traveling to Puerto Penasco (and Mexico) for the first time June 19-26. We will be staying for 7 days (longer than 72 hours) and only traveling between Sonoyta – Puerto Penasco. I have seen conflicting information regarding the Tourist Card, particularly as it applies to the Sonoran "Free Zone." Is an FMM required for our length of stay? If so, I have read where there is no charge for the FMM if staying 7 days or less. Is that correct? Just trying to figure out the process and also the budget for a family of five if we are required to obtain an FMM upon crossing the border. Any clarification would be most helpful. Thanks and God bless.

I've been going to Puerto Penasco for 25 years and have never stopped at Mexican immigration other than required when purchasing property. I don't see you having any issues.

Same here, stopped at immigration office for 2-3 years to get visas. Not in 20 years now. It's never been
an issue with police, city offices, paying taxes filing robbery report with the city prosecution office.

Roberto

Technically you should have an FMM at he 72 hours. The reality is if you are vacationing, no one cares. In 10 years I have never been asked to see a visa by anyone. other than the Hacienda (Mex. IRS ) and Immigration when I had a working FM3. Worst case should you have some strange low probability problem you would be asked to leave the country.

Howell

Thanks for the clarification about the FMM. It seems that, although technically required by Mexican law, it is not something that is enforced in the Puerto Penasco area. Didn't want to run afoul of the law my first trip into Mexico :)

From what I know, up to 7 days is free! But, iif you get in an accident or something, not knowing, it could be a legal problem. Shopping at border cities in and out don't need one. It depends here if you want to be legal. It is the law.

dd