Question & Comments for any "Estuary Experts"

rplarry

Went out, yesterday morning at incoming tide, to the Las Conchas side of the Morua Estuary. Fished for about 45 minutes and didn't have a single bite. Have had pretty good luck in years past out there, however after last January's ('10) huge storm, there have been new sand bars deposited on the Las Conchas side which I believe are blocking the regular 'channels' that the fish would travel and feed. So, I don't think the pampano, sea trout, etc travel back into the estuary along the shore like they used to, probably using a new channel which isn't fishable from shore??

That being said, does anyone have any thoughts on fishing the Morua this time of year? Are the sea trout still around or are they out in the open waters? Are there other species to catch this time of year, with the colder water, than say late spring/summer/fall ??

Lastly, yesterday morning while out in the estuary I also saw something I have never seen before. Literally hundreds of very aggressive fish, all over the middle part of the estuary, breaching the water and making big splashes as they were feeding. The birds were going pretty crazy as well. I can't say it was an actual 'boil' because they were not all grouped in 1 area together, but scattered all over. (And, these were not those lazy mullets jumping out of the water either.) I couldn't actually make out the fish because they were too far out, but this was definitely something I had never seen out there. Anyway, was curious if any "estuary experts", like Kenny or Jerry, would know what kind of fish these may have been?

Thanks!

Kenny

This time of year the fishing is slow slow slow in Marua and La Pinta, but a stick of dynamite might work. You never can tell, that change of bottom structure may even have improved the fishing over on that side. If there are places that will now hold small bait fish, the fishing might even be better when the water warms up.
Were you throwing a Kastmaster or using bait Larry? There is usually something in there that will take Squid, but the Corvina hunting is spotty at best.

Last edited:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Estuary Experts ! ! !

``` "estuary experts" , like Kenny or Jerry ```:lol: :lol: :lol:```

rplarry

This time of year the fishing is slow slow slow in Marua and La Pinta, but a stick of dynamite might work. You never can tell, that change of bottom structure may even have improved the fishing over on that side. If there are places that will now hold small bait fish, the fishing might even be better when the water warms up.
Were you throwing a Kastmaster or using bait Larry? There is usually something in there that will take Squid, but the Corvina hunting is spotty at best.
Thanks for the input Kenny. (was offline most of the afternoon)

I was throwing a Kastmaster, yes. It was pretty windy in the morning yesterday, so didn't end up going back out. May give it a shot this morning. In the past, have occasionally picked up a few flounder in the winter months, but not a single bite of anything so far.

Thanks again.

don

Have never caught corvina this time of the year, but have caught corbina during the cooler months. A buddy was just down there and did well shore fishing. Bait...

don

Uh,"Happy why are you posting on the fishing forum since you forgot how to fish?"
At least Kenny and Jerry still go fishing and they don't have to buy their fish at the market.

HAPPY

User is currently banned
Hey Fellas ! ! !

Uh,"Happy why are you posting on the fishing forum since you forgot how to fish?"
At least Kenny and Jerry still go fishing and they don't have to buy their fish at the market.
``` "Way to go fellas" ```:lol: :lol: :lol: ```

``` Hey "fellas" Don & Kenny are putting together ``` "ANOTHER" ``` "FISHING TOURNAMENT" ```since last years was ``` "SUCH A SUCCESS" ``` :lol: :lol: :lol: ```

``` And the donations & "PRIZES" are already flooding in, ``` & just like last year ```

```The "INTEREST" has just been ``` "GREAT" ``` :lol: :lol: :lol: ```

``` "Hey Fellas" ```:lol: :lol: :lol: ```

~ ~ ~ Me Gustan Las Chicas Cochinas ~ ~ ~

Last edited:
"Question & Comments for any "Estuary Experts"

"Went out, yesterday morning at incoming tide, to the Las Conchas side of the Morua Estuary. "

I thought the road was closed to the beach at the hotel ? Do you just drive down througt Las Conchas and past the hotel or what. Can you 4 wheel on the beach ? I will take my toon down there if it is that easy.

Kenny

``` "Way to go fellas" ```:lol: :lol: :lol: ```

``` Hey "fellas" Don & Kenny are putting together ``` "ANOTHER" ``` "FISHING TOURNAMENT" ```since last years was ``` "SUCH A SUCCESS" ``` :lol: :lol: :lol: ```

``` And the donations & "PRIZES" are already flooding in, ``` & just like last year ```

```The "INTEREST" has just been ``` "GREAT" ``` :lol: :lol: :lol: ```

``` "Hey Fellas" ```:lol: :lol: :lol: ```

~ ~ ~ Me Gustan Las Chicas Cochinas ~ ~ ~
If anyone would like HAPPY's real name and phone #, just send me a PM...:cool: A picture will cost you though.

im still hesitant on making a trip to the morua area just because im not sure of the roads. i know people are doing it but dont want to chance anything out there by myself. Will be down at las conchas the 18th for some early tide fishing. prob will catch my usual 8 sand bass and 4 leatherjacks using a silver kastmaster or lure. thinking about trying some bucktail jigs and bouncing them around out there would love to get me a good fish to eat

How long are you going to be down there? Do you have a 4 wheel drive? Not a have to but it sure makes you feel better about the road situation. I drive a little Suzuki Samuri and only put it in 4 wheel when I go down the beach a ways. I have ne even had to let any air out of the tires.
Drop me a note and possibly we can get together. [email protected]

The roads to the oyster farms are decent enough that you don't need 4wd at all....I'm not sure of the condition of any roads that let you get there further down...other then going to Playa Encanto, and then backtracking. Maybe Kenny, etc. can comment.

Kenny

The roads to the oyster farms are decent enough that you don't need 4wd at all....I'm not sure of the condition of any roads that let you get there further down...other then going to Playa Encanto, and then backtracking. Maybe Kenny, etc. can comment.
morua area
It was posted that the lower road was closed when going in on the Encanto side, and if it is I'd go up top and cut down at some point. No need for 4 wheel drive going in that way, and remember that driving on the beach past the cable is prohibited no matter what someone might tell you. In the spring there are rare and endangered ground nesting birds out there, so if you bring a dog, don't! LOL

ive been to the oyster shack out there right on the morua but not anything passed that main road you turn off of. that road has been a washboard the last few times ive gone down it. Ive got a sierra 1500 but not a 4WD i can take it. Those samurai's can do work!