Question for Rosy...on Mexican Liability Insurance

I always wondered about the insurance that the mexican drivers have when they visit the US LEGALLY. From what I know, and this could be wrong, Mexicans are required to carry auto insurance in Mexico. Foreign visitors are also required to carry at least liability insurance written on a mexican insurance company (Rosy has gone thru the specifics on this forum a few times).

So, does the mexican insurance the mexicans have on their vehicles (if they have any) cover them for liability when driving in the US????.

I have seen a couple of agencies on the mexican side of the border selling what appears to be insurance for the US. I wonder how many stop to buy it?

If it does not, aren't all of them breaking AZ law?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Joe, I dont think U.S. customs will let vehicles from Mexico through without insurance coverage.

Last edited:
I always wondered about the insurance that the mexican drivers have when they visit the US LEGALLY. From what I know, and this could be wrong, Mexicans are required to carry auto insurance in Mexico. Foreign visitors are also required to carry at least liability insurance written on a mexican insurance company (Rosy has gone thru the specifics on this forum a few times).

So, does the mexican insurance the mexicans have on their vehicles (if they have any) cover them for liability when driving in the US????.

I have seen a couple of agencies on the mexican side of the border selling what appears to be insurance for the US. I wonder how many stop to buy it?

If it does not, aren't all of them breaking AZ law?

The standard Mexican policy is not valid in the U.S. Mexicans driving Mexico-registered vehicles must purchase U.S. auto insurance, just as Americans coming south do. Some travel frequently to the States, so they purchase it annually. ProAlliance sells insurance for northbound traffic as well as southbound. For Mexicans to go into the U.S. without buying it is indeed illegal. Most everyone buys it...civil liability coverage (northbound) is very inexpensive, about $7 usd per day.

Lagrimas, the border agents don't normally check for insurance, although there is a State patrol officer on duty most days at the border, and if there's any reason to believe that State laws are being breached, the border agents report it to that officer.

Hope I answered your questions!

Roberto

I don't carry US insurance on the AZ registered truck anymore because I don't drive it up there. I used to buy day insurance on the Mexican side right at the crossing until I found out the companies did not have an ADOT number and therefore there was no coverage!

It worries me every time I'm near a Sonora vehicle up here in the Phoenix area.....but I do carry Uninsured motorist coverage!!!

Rosey, what is this, a direct quote from your reply, "The standard Mexican policy is not valid in the U.S."? What is a "standard Mexican policy"? It's my understanding that Mexican insurance providing liability coverage in the US can only be written on vehicles registered in Mexico. US registered vehicles must be covered by US insurance companies in order to be covered in the US.

Rosey, what is this, a direct quote from your reply, "The standard Mexican policy is not valid in the U.S."? What is a "standard Mexican policy"? It's my understanding that Mexican insurance providing liability coverage in the US can only be written on vehicles registered in Mexico. US registered vehicles must be covered by US insurance companies in order to be covered in the US.
I have said many times that only U.S. companies can insure a U.S. registered vehicle in the the States, and Roberto has repeated it in this thread. Joe's question was about Mexican vehicles in the States, so I told him that the "standard" policy in Mexico isn't valid in the States, but that most Mexicans who travel north purchase additional coverage for the U.S.

I have said many times that only U.S. companies can insure a U.S. registered vehicle in the the States, and Roberto has repeated it in this thread. Joe's question was about Mexican vehicles in the States, so I told him that the "standard" policy in Mexico isn't valid in the States, but that most Mexicans who travel north purchase additional coverage for the U.S.
OK, Rosy. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't research the forum on this subject, so I didn't know the history of what you or anyone else posted in regard to auto insurance. I took your post at face value. I'm sure that new visitors would also do the same. My understanding now is that your reference to a "standard" policy is a policy issued in Mexico, by Mexican insurance companies, on vehicles registered in Mexico, and valid only in Mexico.

I don't carry US insurance on the AZ registered truck anymore because I don't drive it up there. I used to buy day insurance on the Mexican side right at the crossing until I found out the companies did not have an ADOT number and therefore there was no coverage!
You must maintain liability insurance on an AZ registered vehicle. or your AZ registration will be revoked. If the vehicle is removed from the state you can maintain AZ registration by filing a de-insured affidavit (sp?) with the AZ MVD. This will allow you to keep your registration current, but you will not be able to drive your vehicle in AZ without first purchasing liability insurance from an AZ approved insurance company. Foreign vehicles are required to have current registrations while in Mexico, but this doesn't seem to be seriously enforced in Penasco.