Quick questions

audsley

Well Known Member
Heading down this week to shake a case of cabin fever. Plan to stay in Rocky Pt Mon. night, El Desemboque Tues. nite and somewhere else Wed. nite depending on this and that.

Went looking on the forum for things I've seen but couldn't find them in a search, so once again...

What's the good place to buy shrimp that is NOT on the Malecon? I think it might have been on Dominguez Street.

What's the maximum weight in shrimp and fish one person can bring back? I was thinking 10 lbs for shrimp and much more for fish.

How far south would I have to go before needing to worry about a Mexican visa? And where would be the best place to get one?

Thanks to anyone with the knowledge and patience to help me.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
50 lbs. seafood per car load

Shrimp ===== Sinaloa about a block south of the main drag....the map says the cross street is Benito Juarez.....it's about a block south of the baseball stadium, near the Pemex station

InkaRoads

cronopiador
you can take 50 pounds of shrimp per car and what ever amount of fish you can fit in your car, if you are driving a commercial vehicle then it is a lot more difficult to take a trailer full of fish.

As you come into town, past the third traffic light, on No Reeleccion and B. Juarez where the blue stadium is on the left hand side, about 100 yards is the speed bump, immediately after the speed bump is the intersection of 3 streets, take Sinaloa, the street that goes in a diagonal almost parallel to B. Juarez, right where the Albatros office is behind the Pemex, go past the first street and a half block on the left hand side you will find the store "Products of the Sea" they sell the ice blocks with a kilo of shrimp on it, they do have many different sizes and prices and a large variety of fish too, including crab meat!!

Last edited:

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
you can take 50 pounds of shrimp per car and what ever amount of fish you can fit in your car, if you are driving a commercial vehicle then it is a lot more difficult to take a trailer full of fish.

As you come into town, past the third traffic light, on No Reeleccion and B. Juarez where the blue stadium is on the left hand side, about 100 yards is the speed bump, immediately after the speed bump is the intersection of 3 streets, take Sinaloa, the street that goes in a diagonal almost parallel to B. Juarez, right where the Albatros office is behind the Pemex, go past the first street and a half block on the left hand side you will find the store "Products of the Sea" they sell the ice blocks with a kilo of shrimp on it, they do have many different sizes and prices and a large variety of fish too, including crab meat!!
Eduardo...I thought it was 50 lb. per carload of any combination of shrimp or fish....not an unlimited amount of fish???????

dwig222

Well Known Member
Don't forget the kilo of shrimp is frozen so if you are buying a large quantity you will need to keep it frozen. If you buy at the Malecon it will be fine in the refrigerator for a day or two and then you can freeze it when you get home. I usually buy 20+ pounds and my shrimp guy fills my ice chest with lots of ice. I leave it there over night when we are driving home the next day. Then I divide it and freeze it.

We drove to San Carlos a few years ago. We had to have visa's pretty far north of Hermosillo. So I don't think you can go too far without one.

playaperro

El Pirata
How many times can you freeze shrimp? kind of a silly question for me but i know during the off season some of that shrimp is frozen before they put it up for sale!

Kenny

Well Known Member
Freezing, defrosting and refreezing is about texture, taste and greater possibility of mishandling introducing bacteria when defrosted... in many ports the in thing is "Flash Freezing" to help protect the product.

"The problem with refreezing is not a health issue, if you are careful with the material when you defrosted it the first time. The problem is with flavor and texture.

If you think of the cells as being like little plastic bags filled with fluids you could imagine how freezing it and defrosting it expands and contracts the bags. When you buy frozen seafood it is usually frozen so fast that the cells don't break, but when you put it in a home freezer this is bound to happen. That is why home frozen seafood tends to have a flat, mushy flavor. "
On that same principal I know some people who say that meat, steaks especially, are more tender if they've been frozen for a short time before cooking.